Clear all

VCM EQ 501

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi,

I have been trying to improve the full concert grand with the VCM EQ 501. After resetting the VCM EQ 501 to 0 the boomy lows disappear and the voice is sounding more natural to my ears.
But the notes at frequencies from 850-1250Hz and a little higher are ringing out way to much for my taste. These frequencies also don´t have enough substance for melody-playing now. They are too sharp and spiky.

Turning down these highs is changing the overall quality of the piano a lot. What can I do to make this higher area more roundly and smoothly without changing the whole piano sound? Taking away the highs can lead to a loss of clearness in the middle range I think...

Thank you for your reply!

Posted : 08/08/2017 2:55 pm
Bad Mister

EQing something in a thread might be the worst situation... EQ'ing in general, is very much about being there, hearing the source and most importantly the speakers and the room you are trying to compensate for. Undoubtedly some of what you're doing is compensating for something in your environment. Notes ringing too much? I might recommend you move that glass surface that is reflecting the sound in your listening environment, but oh that's right I can't see your environment... so I can't really make any recommendations.

I am saying this to raise the point: EQ is a very much in the now, in the room you are in situation. And very much about what else is sounding at the same time... and in the end, it's all about what you hear...

The VCM EQ 501 is a serious boutique grade equalizer, extremely musical...

Posted : 09/08/2017 2:29 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Thank you!

Posted : 11/08/2017 1:25 pm
Bad Mister

We have a series of articles here on YamahaSynth that might be helpful overall in your approach to EQ'ing, in general:

Equalizers Part I

Equalizers Part II

Equalizers Part III

Posted : 11/08/2017 6:38 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us