Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Any way to load a Motif XS Rack Editor File (.X1E) to the MOXF8?

15 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Is there any possible way to do this? I was hoping the MoXF editor would be able to import data from a rack XS editor file but I don't see how it can do it. Will any of the Melas tools do that? Thanks!

Posted : 23/10/2015 12:26 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I've just spent a few hours working on this. I renamed the file extension on my Motif XS Rack file from .X1E to .X6E so the MoXF editor would at least see the file in the file open dialog. To my surprise the editor pulled the sounds in without generating any errors. Most of the parameters looked correct except the waveform numbers in the voices weren't correct. And the voices wouldn't load to the MoXF from the editor.

I discovered that the Motif XF editor would read Motif Rack XS editor files (and almost all earlier librarian Motif formats also) so I downloaded and installed it on my PC and sure enough it read the voices in and let me save them to a .X3E file. I thought I had it made then because a Motif XF editor file could surely be loaded into the MoXF editor. But unlike the Motif XF editor, which reads almost all backward editor files the MoXF editor won't read in any files except MoXF files:D? I tried renaming the .X3E file to an .X6E MoXF editor file - it did worse than the Rack XS .X1E file and read none of the user voices into the editor from the file.

I don't understand why would this limitation be placed on the MoXF editor. It's the same synthesis engine as the Motif XF. I don't see any other posts in this forum about this specific issue, so I guess I'm in the minority on this. I sure don't want to go to a guitar center with my laptop and ask them to let if I can use their Motif XF to generate a .X3 file on a flash drive so my MoXF can read it. If the voice file (.X3,.X6) files are compatible between the Motif XF and the MoXF, shouldn't the editor be able to load a Motif XF editor file into the MoXF?

Bad Mister - any chance the MoXF editor could be updated to read Motif XF files? What's the proper channel for me to make such a request? Since the Motif XF editor can convert lots of earlier editor formats, you could always import an earlier format file you want into the MoXF by using both editors.

Posted : 23/10/2015 4:09 am
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

sorry but you have to buy Melas editor to do this....

Posted : 23/10/2015 10:59 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

So would I need the Waveform editor or would I need the voice editor or librarian? The waveform editor is the only one I see advertised that opens files from multiple Motif generations? The soundbanks I'm trying to convert don't include any samples. Thanks for the reply.

Posted : 23/10/2015 12:11 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I'm not sure Melas tools would help - the closest thing I've got is to the MoXF voice file format (.X6V or .X6A) is a Motif XF editor file format .X3E. It looks like Melas tools won't read the Yamaha editor format so I wouldn't be able to do the conversion with them. I wouldn't mind purchasing one or more of the Melas tools if they would do the job - although I think the Yamaha editor should at least support opening Motif XF format files.

I owned an XS rack quite a while back and purchased some sound sets for it - the only way to save those sounds was in an editor format since the Motif XS rack wouldn't accommodate a flash drive. The sounds were loaded into the XS rack originally as system exclusive via a standard midi file, then saved in the Yamaha Motif XS rack librarian format. I've got to find a way to convert from Motif XS Rack librarian format to MoXF format without the benefit of having a Motif XS or Motif XF keyboard I can load to from the librarian.

Thanks!

Bill

Posted : 23/10/2015 12:35 pm
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

Bill! Email the file you want converted to me: braxpelle@gmail.com and lets see what I can do with the Melas stuff I have.... πŸ™‚

/gris

Posted : 24/10/2015 9:26 am
Martin

Hi William, here are the supported formats the recent versions of Melas "Motif Waveform Editor" and "Total Librarian for MOXF" can process:

WaveForm Editor (V2.0.0):
Create/Load: X3A / X3V / X3W / X3G / X0A / X0V / X0W / X0G
Import: X6A / X6V / X6W
Save: X3A / X3V / X3W / X3G

Total Librarian for MOXF (V2.4.0):
Create/Load/Save: ALLMOXF, VLIBMOXF
Import: X0A / X0V / X0E / X1E / X2A / X2V / X3A / X3V / X4A / X4V / X5A / X6A / X6V

So it looks to me that "Waveform Editor" is not the right tool in your case (you don't have any user waveforms anyway in your content as you say), while you might have a good chance to import your "X1E" library using "Total Librarian for MOXF. From there you can directly transmit any required data directly to the MOXF via USB MIDI. After that you just have to save the content in the MOXF to your USB stick as an X6A file. That's how I would proceed. It's only a question if you can afford the Melas S/W. Personally speaking, I have both tools and I don't want to miss them anymore.

Posted : 24/10/2015 1:08 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Gris, I just sent you an email, thanks for the kind offer. Martin, thanks for the info on the librarian - it looks like it will do the job. I didn't see any links for documentation on the Melas stuff and it didn't show those formats on the website - I didn't realize it used Yamaha's Motif Editor format for saving sound banks. Thanks for all the help!

Posted : 24/10/2015 1:36 pm
Martin

I didn't realize it used Yamaha's Motif Editor format for saving sound banks.

William, please note that none of the mentioned Melas tools will save sound banks in the Motif Editor format - as listed above; the Total Librarian application is just able to import Motif Editor data for your XS-rack, that's a difference!

Posted : 24/10/2015 1:54 pm
Trusted Member
Topic starter

OK, I understand, import only on Yamaha editor formats, but as long as I've got my MoXF to sync up to the Melas editor I have a method for getting earlier version Motif editor libraries into my MoXF. I don't guess that the Librarian is future-proof - when the next generation of Motifs are out you'd need to purchase the librarian for that particular version (the librarian only saves and syncs to one version of Motif)? Thanks for the clarification.

Posted : 24/10/2015 2:05 pm
Martin

I have a method for getting earlier version Motif editor libraries into my MoXF

At the moment the "Total Librarian for MOXF" only seems to support the import of "X1E" data - if you are refering to "Motif Editor" formats only. However, I assume your XS-rack is exactly using that format (I don't know exactly - I don't own one - but at least you referred to it above).

the librarian only saves and syncs to one version of Motif

Yes that's correct. For example, the Motif XF related "Total Librarian" application is different to the one used for the MOXF, that's why you'd have to purchase a separate application for each Motif-series model. As you already assumed, the "Total Librarian" application is mainly designed to be connected to your synthesizer permanenly, as - aside from general sound management on the PC - it is helpful for exchanging data between PC and synth. However, as I know John Melas, he will constantly improve the "import" and "compatibility" functionalities for all "Total Librarian" versions in order to support as many Motif-related synthesizers/formats as possible - of course as a free update everytime a new version for his application is released.

Posted : 24/10/2015 2:31 pm
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

I was so certain that Melas tools could do this , but as Martin says itΒ΄s not possible,
so sorry that I couldnt be of any help... πŸ™

cheers

Posted : 25/10/2015 8:40 am
Martin

I was so certain that Melas tools could do this , but as Martin says itΒ΄s not possible

Hi gris, are you just talking about "conversion" using Melas "Waveform Editor" (which is actually a standalone application), or did you actually try to "import" the data using "Total Librarian" (as part of the "Melas Tools" suite")? As already explained before, I'd see no problem in choosing the latter option using "Total Librarian"!

Posted : 25/10/2015 9:08 am
Trusted Member
Topic starter

The Motif XS rack voice set was actually purchased in 2 formats - a sysex format and a standard midi file. I loaded my rack via the standard midi file and then saved the file in the editor in an X1E format (motif rack XS editor). I've converted it to the X3E format using the Motif XF editor assuming it would be able to be loaded like that thru the MoXF editor. Gris, I'll send you the X1E file rather than the X3E file and you can see if the librarian will do the conversion. Thanks again for all the help!

Posted : 25/10/2015 1:19 pm
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

Yep, the X1E file imports to the Librarian so I think problems solved now ... πŸ™‚

Posted : 25/10/2015 2:51 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us