Notifications
Clear all

Arpeggio and left hand legato

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I'm having a lot of fun experimenting with the arpeggios of the MOXF, and most of it works fine, but...

...as a piano player I'm used to playing the bass note legato in my left hand (while playing chords/melody in my right hand).

But this does not seem to work well with some of the arpeggios. E g the one that comes by default on power on, the "Pumping station MW". It's not a problem when changing to a lower note, but it does not seem to recognize changing to a higher note.

So if the order of events are "press E", listen to arpeggio, "press D", "release E", the arpeggio correctly changes from E to D (when D is pressed).
But if the order of events are "press D", listen to arpeggio, "press E", "release D", the arpeggio does not change to E from D even when D is released.
Instead you're expected to "press D", listen to arpeggio, "release D", "press E", which seems to work correctly.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to this, especially as not all the arpeggios seem to work this way. I'm guessing this is expected behavior, although I find it a bit counter intuitive, so is there a setting that will cause the arpeggio to change from D to E? I've tried experimenting with "Key mode" as well as "portamento" but so far no luck.

Posted : 01/09/2018 6:03 am
Bad Mister

That’s a result of how chord recognition works... in most instances, the root of the chord is assumed to be the lowest note... chords spelled from bottom to top... root up. A lower note will cause a change under legato conditions, while a note higher might change the chord quality... with certain Arp phrases holding a C then playing the Eb above would not change the root but might change the phrases quality from Major to minor... as Eb defines minor when a C below it is being held.

However, holding the C and using a legato movement to a lower note will define a new root.

Posted : 01/09/2018 7:14 pm
Topic starter

I'm following, but when you make a legato movement up from C to Eb - at the point when you release the C so there's only Eb being held, that Eb should be the new root, right? That's what does not happen.

Posted : 02/09/2018 6:59 am
Bad Mister

“Legato” entry is not allowed when entering data to be sorted by an Arpeggiator that is set to “Arp Hold” = On, as it renders incorrect spelling of the chord quality. Chord (quality) recognition typically requires you enter the root Note - your “legato” play as data entry renders wrong evaluations.

The behavior is completely as it should be (granted this may not be to your liking, but in order to adjust chord quality the “root” definition has a specific set of rules... these are to accomplish certain inversions).

That said, if you set the “Arp Hold” = Sync-Off, the Phrase will move the “root” in either direction immediately; above or below the previous held note. If you set the Arp HOLD = “Sync-Off”, the phrase that is playing will immediately adjust its root to the currently held lowest note...

”SYNC-OFF”: the Arpeggio phrase will run in sync with the current tempo and Unit Multiply settings, but Arp Hold will be Off. This means when you lift your fingers from the keys controlling the Arp, the phrase does not sound. You only hear the phrase when you are in contact with the Keys tasked with data entry.

Hope that helps

Posted : 02/09/2018 1:22 pm
Topic starter

Fair enough 🙂 I guess you're right that if I play a bass line legato, then I could just as well turn off (or sync-off) arp hold...

I wish there was an non-chord arp mode though, where only the last note played mattered, as many arps seem to care only about one note anyway.

Thanks!

Posted : 02/09/2018 4:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us