Notifications
Clear all

Drum Programming

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I have a MOXF8 and recently I started to working around with it and Cubase. I connected several instruments and a mic and now I want to make beats with my MOXF. I know that in Voice mode, I can use lots of preset drum kits in MOXF, but I am pretty new and inexperienced in drumkits. So Please don't consider me as idiot. My question is: there are numerous sounds in every drum kits already stored in MOXF, but how can I identify each sound? I want to make sure this is bass drum and this is crash cymbal, etc, and in that way I can actually program drums with certainty, not depending on my estimation. I see that there are similar sounds in each preset that sounds like coming from same kinds of drums. I cannot find drum key tables or something like that in any downloadable manuals of MOXF.

Also another question is: this sounds stupid even to me but there are multiple choices with me in Cubase drum programming: Loopmash, beat designer, MOXF presets and so on.... what is kind of mainstream approach?

Thanks in advance

Posted : 24/11/2015 6:40 am
gris
 gris
Eminent Member

Hi

With the MOXF editor in drum edit mode, you can very easy change/scroll though all the drumwaves for every note in a drumset,
and also change parameters like tuning and so on, and then you can save your own drumsets in the user banks.

Posted : 24/11/2015 10:42 am
Bad Mister

I cannot find drum key tables or something like that in any downloadable manuals of MOXF.

We'll start here, because this will be very helpful. Download the DATA LIST booklet. It, as you will now notice, is a list of all the data in the MOXF, Including which waveform is located on each of the keys of the various Drum Kits.

I have a MOXF8 and recently I started to working around with it and Cubase. I connected several instruments and a mic and now I want to make beats with my MOXF. I know that in Voice mode, I can use lots of preset drum kits in MOXF, but I am pretty new and inexperienced in drumkits. So Please don't consider me as idiot.

Just so you know your not... Why should you know where each drum is located? Don't blame this on anything other than being new. There is no reason to know where each drum is, other than you are now creating your own drum grooves. New to any game, you have to explore the landscape... The layout of drums on a synthesizer keyboard is something that has only been around since the 1980's when digital audio recordings were first fashioned into "kits". It's not taught anywhere. The Yamaha version of the sampled drum kit is setup as follows:

_ Each key between C0 and C6 (73keys) has an individual drum/percussion sound or gesture mapped to it.
_ Each key can have multiple samples stacked to trigger at different velocities. As you play harder you will hear the drum or percussion sound change timbre. For example, often 4 or 5 snare drum articulations are stacked on a drum Key, multiple hihats are accessed by how hard you strike the Key. Sometimes a drum or percussion instrument can occupy multiple Keys... hihat closed F#1, hihat pedal G#1, hihat open A#1... So that you can access different performing gestures on the particular instrument. Triangle has both an Open Key and a Mute Key waveform. Guiros has both short and long stroke, etc., etc.,

In general the "basic KIT" (the one that gives the Kit its name) is laid out in the two octaves between C1 and the B2 just below middle "C".

This is your basic Kick, snare, toms, cymbals, cowbell... Notice all the snare articulations: 5 stacked on D1 and E1 typically, plus a sidestick, and handclap. Multiple toms - white keys F1-D2; hihats we already mentioned on the 3 black keys for easy access; you'll find cymbals appropriate for the title of the kit, cowbells, don't even ask, you've got to have more cowbell!!!

Above the basic kit you may find Latin Percussion in the next couple of octaves in most of the genre entitled Kits.

Below the basic kit you find some utility drum/percussion stuff, like a press roll, alternate stick sounds, etc.,

Specialty Kits of all Kicks or all Snares exist for ease in trying out and finding an appropriate drum.

There are 72 unique Drum Kits in the MOXF Preset Drum bank (PDR)
The 32 that currently occupy the USER bank (UDR) are simply repeat "placeholder" Kits.

Take your time... Learn about the REHEARSE function that allows you easily to drop in and out of record at the press of a button - without having to hit stop.

Learn all about MOXF Drum Kits here

Posted : 24/11/2015 12:20 pm
Topic starter

I really appreciate your explanations! I was so frustrated but now I feel refreshed and feel like getting started again, thanks!

Posted : 24/11/2015 1:44 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us