Notifications
Clear all

FEG Depth Defined and other Knob Functions 1-4

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hello, I'm new to the MOXF and learning about its waveform synthesis. In my youth I owned a Minimoog Model D and enjoyed learning how it worked and synthesis in general.
In trying to understand the workings of the MOXF I'm having trouble understanding the Knob Functions 1-4 on when the tone 1 lamp is on. Specifically, what the heck is FEG Depth?
I've searched various forums and other sources to no avail. Please direct me to some resource to help me answer this question. Regards, Dave

Posted : 23/11/2018 7:15 pm
 Bob

FEG : Filter Envelope Generator
The FEG controls time-based filter variations between key-on and key-off.

Posted : 23/11/2018 7:59 pm
Bad Mister

Here's some reading material that can help:
Synth Basics - Getting Started

Synth Basics: Sound Experiments

Synth Basics: All Squares are Pulse...

Posted : 23/11/2018 9:10 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thank you very much for your reply. Regards, Dave

Posted : 24/11/2018 3:15 pm

The reading material you provided was very helpful, thanks again. Where can I find those documents? I've looked through this site and can't find any directory listings revealing where they are located. Dave

Posted : 25/11/2018 2:51 pm
Bad Mister

They date back to the earliest article/tutorials on this site, more than four years ago, and will undoubtedly be the last migrated over to the new site. Or maybe the links got “lost”... they were from the old Blog pages.

The tutorial section is for the Motif XF, S90 XS/S70 XS, and the then new MOXF. However, the fundamentals don’t really change...
I found them by searching the ‘Exact Phrase’: Synth Basics

I did so to see if the tutorials I did on the Synth Basics were still around ... with the huge success of the MOXF, we were seeing a lot of ‘new to synthesizer’ customers. The series was to introduce those who were just getting into synthesis for the first time and were getting confused about the “how” and “why” and “what” of Synthesizers, Analog, digital, Sample, etc., etc., we wanted to translate some of the synth jargon to musical terms. These also served as an intro to those discovering synth through the mobile mini-key refaceCP/CS/DX/YC series.

We’ll try to get the links updated, they do show up at the bottom of the tutorial pages under “Related Posts” (and perhaps it may be time to update the series’ tutorial data for the new dogs!)

Posted : 25/11/2018 10:39 pm

Cheers, thanks Bad Mister. I'm amazed by how much synth technology has changed since my Minimoog days. Absolutely loving my MOFX.

Posted : 26/11/2018 12:32 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us