Notifications
Clear all

Flash Memory FL1024M

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi, I'm new to the MOXF (and synths in general) and wondering if I really need to the flash memory board or can I just load and play sound libraries from a USB key plugged into the MOXF? Thanks.

Posted : 29/03/2016 2:01 pm
Bad Mister

david wrote:

Hi, I'm new to the MOXF (and synths in general) and wondering if I really need to the flash memory board or can I just load and play sound libraries from a USB key plugged into the MOXF? Thanks.

Hi david, Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

The MOXF comes with 3,977 Waveform in the preset Wave ROM. A Waveform is a basic building block from which the sounds, called Voices, are constructed. In the very first synthesizers you were given just a handful of Waveforms from which sounds could be built. For example, my very first synth had just two Waveforms, a Sawtooth and a Pulse wave. From these two basic shapes I was able to build hundreds and hundreds of sounds.

Sawtooth waves are used to build strings and brass type sounds (bright and buzzy), while Pulse waves are used to built reeds, wooden, and nasal type sounds. In the classic analog synths you used filters and amplifiers to shape these Waveforms into playable sound. Sample based systems like the MOXF work in a similar fashion, but instead of using a voltage controlled circuit to make the basic waves, the MOXF starts with a digital recording of actual instruments and sound effects.

While you could program an unlimited number of new Voices from the 3,977 provided Waveforms, what the FLASH BOARD allows you to do is load in an addition 2,048 Waveforms of your choosing... For example, perhaps there is new set of Waveform like the Chick Corea Mark V (Rhodes) that you wanted to load in, or perhaps some custom audio you yourself have created. Not enough Celtic Pipes, there's a library, looking for World Music sounds, there's a library, more rock guitars... Looking for mandolins, sackbut trio stuff... That's where the Flash Board comes in.

When you are ready to expand the potential of your MOXF you'll find the Flash Board staves of obsolescence- by allowing you to add new Waveforms from which you can construct new Voices.

Without knowing you, or how you intend to use your MOXF, no one can answer your question (but you) at this point. You can visit www.yamahamusicsoft.com and enter MOXF as your product, and view the Synth Libraries available. If it requires a Flash Board it will mention new Waveforms and Samples...

Posted : 29/03/2016 4:00 pm
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister for your reply. I find the owners manual weak on explaning how to get a Synth Library loaded into the MOXF6 from a USB key. I'll keep digging.

Posted : 31/03/2016 2:02 pm

If you don't have a flash memory board, you can still load new sound libraries with voices that don't use new waveforms (as BM explained). There a few of them. You should check each library's content information beforehand. But in most cases, commercial libraries use new waveforms/samples. Even Yamaha offers for free in the download section of MOXF, 4 additional libraries that use new waveforms.

Posted : 01/04/2016 9:59 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us