Notifications
Clear all

Help Setting Up MOXF8 with LPX

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi Guys,
I know there is a lot of info here, but it is hard for me to understand all (I am a bass player, not really used with synths)
So I have a MOXF 8, Apogee Ensemble thunderbolt, Logic Prox.
I would need to use the MOXF both as controller (to play notes only), and also as sound module, to use the wonderful Motif sounds.

Could you please explain me like to a 5 years old how to connect it and setup the whole thing?
Thanks a lot!
Flo

Posted : 30/05/2020 8:52 am
Bad Mister

Happy to help, if we can.

We know (and support) the MOXF8. You’ll need to help out on your other devices. But there is nothing too strange about the general connections — once we establish what you want to accomplish.

For example, what is the purpose of the Apogee Ensemble Thunderbolt, in your system? We know what it is... but what do you want to do with it? We need your vision of how you want your setup to work.
What else is connected to your computer in addition to the MOXF8?
Any help provided here on the forums, to actually be useful, would require an idea of what you’re attempting to accomplish.

Is recording your bass something that needs to be considered, for example?
At some point, are you considering recording vocals?
Do you have Studio Monitor speakers?
How many musicians will be performing simultaneously? (That is a major thing to know because it impacts directly on how you would setup).

We are going to assume you have plans beyond the MOXF and Logic Pro, because if you purchased a Thunderbolt audio interface simply to record the MOXF - we have some info you may wish to consider.

We know you have a Macintosh computer because you mentioned Logic Pro. But if connectivity is part of the information you seek to find out about... the specific Macintosh computer type you have and the connectivity (ports) available is essential info to provide.

New Apple Mac products require you to purchase adapters to connect their future to the world’s past. They obsolete connectors faster than musicians would like (we’ve been using the same connectors for decades but each new Mac requires you to purchase a new set of adapters) you know, headphones just simply did not need another adapter! ...ah... such is life...

Anyway let us know what you are trying to do. It really does impact how to proceed in setting up.
The MOXF can connect directly to your computer via USB; You can record MIDI and Audio (via dual stereo Outputs) to Logic Pro with just a USB cable (w/appropriate adapter) and an ASIO Driver (Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver for Mac v2.0.3) installed. But if you are considering the MOXF as one of many different inputs you will be recording, then it will help to know that at the outset; along with the number of simultaneous players is another logistical thing that impacts setup in a major way.

Let us know.

Posted : 31/05/2020 1:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us