Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How do i create a voice from scratch on my MOFX6?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I want to create a brand new lead synth voice from scratch on my MOFX6 that sounds like this lead synth solo but I am having issues..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmdcXHh6h8c

[Listen from 1:30 to 1:45]

But I can't seem to figure out how to create a sound from scratch and bend it into the shape I want. I would like to start out with a generic un-edited synth sound that I can change the LFO of and edit it as I wish. How would I go about doing this and is it even possible? or do i have to edit the pre-existing voices to how I want? And if so how would I do that? because I have tried and cant seem to get the LFO to change on any of them while i'm in Voice/Edit mode.

Posted : 07/12/2016 10:52 pm
Bad Mister

As I read your post, I see two different goals.
1) You are looking to find a sound that is similar to the audio clip
2) You want to learn about editing sounds on your MOXF

The words "from scratch" differ in the mind's of the asker... and differ in the type of synthesizer. "From scratch" could mean sampling the raw data yourself (you'd need a method to record and map you samples into a Waveform...) this type of from scratch can be done on the Motif XF, or on your MOXF with help of a computer program to record and edit the samples)

From scratch on an analog synth means starting from one of a handful of Sawtooth or Pulse Wave starting points and building your sound up from there.
From scratch on the MOXF (using the Preset Wave ROM) means starting from one of 3900 Source Wave starting points and building your sound up from there.

The best way to learn about programming is to study what was done by the original programmers. Don't be one of these arrogant user steps who states for no other reason than ego, that the presets all are terrible... not only is it not true, but all they really want to say is - they needed to tweak them for their own mudic although needs. WHICH IS WHAT IS INTENDED

The programmers remain among the best in the world, and that's true, whether or not they (purely serendipitously) matched YOUR exact requirements for a Song, they never got to here. You are supposed to edit the sounds for your needs.

Try starting your studies with the following very similar LEAD SYNTH Voices:

Early Lead
Feeling
Wind Synth
Bass & Lead

A little farther away:
Think Sync
Mr. Finger
Singleline

Take a look at how these were assembled.
The source OSC Wave
How Pitch Modulation is assigned to controllers
Filter assignment etc.

See what was done by the best programmers in the world can help you discover what to do. Build on it, add your imagination and creativity to what's already given.

Posted : 08/12/2016 10:40 am
Topic starter

Thank you! this helps alot. I know where to start now. Another question though. How would I start a brand new voice that I could build up from? or do i have to go into a preset voice and remove all of its effects and elements and beggin there?

Posted : 08/12/2016 5:17 pm
Bad Mister

Press [VOICE] to enter Voice mode
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Press [ENTER] twice
Here you can initialize and start from scratch.

Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Element 1 parameters

They start you with Waveform 0001 (out of 3,977)
Change it as you wish.

See the Data List booklet PDF for a full list of Waveforms.

Posted : 08/12/2016 9:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us