Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

If you can solve this I will be very grateful

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

When I purchased my Mox8 I asked a question on this site and it was answered thoroughly and quickly and was most helpful. At the moment I don't have my mox8 as someone is borrowing it but I've just come back from visiting a church overseas who have purchased a mox8 and were only using it in voice mode, not even realising the potential of using performance mode. My problem is I cannot remember what I did to program my mox8 so that, in every performance mode programmed into the synth, the top four knobs are all assigned to volume control of each of the four voices that are programmed in. I found the following steps online using my phone while I was over in Malaysia and followed them but it didn't seem to do the trick. I'm now concerned I need to try to get them to 'undo' these steps to reset the synth. Firstly, is it necessary to undo these steps that I followed and secondly, what is the easy way to program the synth so that the volume of each voice in a performance mode can be changed easily in real time using the top 4 knobs?

I do remember with mine that I had to get all of the Tone 1 Tone 2 Tone 3 EQ Effect Arp to light up simultaneously each time the synth was turned on. Unfortunately I cannot remember what I had to do in order for this to happen.

These are the steps I followed in Malaysia.
NOTE: MASTER mode will be required in order to assign volume to the 4 knobs of the top row to simulate volume control in Performance mode. The PERFORMANCE data will be used in a SONG TEMPLATE.

1. Press the [SONG] button.

2. Select a blank SONG location (number).

3. Press the [MIXING] button.

4. Press [F4] TEMPLATE.

NOTE: Copying a Performance, to a SONG MIXING template, assigns each PART to its own MIDI channel. This allows each of the Knobs of the top row (in master mode) to control volume for each part.

5. Press the [SF2] button for the PERFORM tab.

6. Select a performance (i.e. USR 1:079 Lake Side).

7. Set the 'Target' for PARTs “1-4”.

8. Press the [ENTER] button to execute.

NOTE: This will place the Piano (from Lake Side) in PART 1/Ch1, and the Pad in PART 2/Ch2.

9 . Press the [STORE] button

10. Press the [MASTER] button.

11. Press the [JOB] button.

12. Press the [ENTER] button.

13. Press the [YES] button.

14. Press the [F2] button for the MEMORY tab.

15. Set the 'MODE' = SONG.

16. Assign the song number (selected in step 2) to Memory.

17. Press the [F3] button for ZONE SW.

18. Set the 'ZONE Switch' = ON.

19. Confirm 'ZONE KNOB' is also set to ON.

20. Press the [EDIT] button.

21. Using the 1-16 buttons, press the number [ 1 ] button to edit ZONE 1.

22. Press the [F1] button for TRANS.

23. Set ZONE 1 TransCH to 1.

24. Set ZONE 1 INT SW = ON.

25. Set ZONE 2 TransCH to 2.

26. Set ZONE 2 INT SW = ON.

27. Press the [STORE] button.

28. Press the [ENTER] button.

29. Press the [YES] button.

Now a template has been created, in SONG MASTER mode, that allows the knobs of the top row to be used as part volume controls for parts 1 thru 4.

Posted : 25/09/2017 4:35 am
Bad Mister

You only setup two Parts for two Zones, not four

Posted : 25/09/2017 1:43 pm
Topic starter

On my mox I've got 4 controllers set up as volume for 4 separate voices in the one performance, it's just that I don't have access to mine at the moment.

But anyway, it's the process that I need to know.

Posted : 26/09/2017 12:34 am
Bad Mister

You posted in the MOXF Forum (causes slight confusion, because I think this was added as feature) In the MOX you needed to use Master mode

From my notes:

MOX: Side by Side Volumes for Performances
Use MASTER mode to address your PERFORMANCE data as SONG/PATTERN TEMPLATE… so that you have a Volume KNOB for each PART.
Lets use “Lake Side” USR1:079 as an example.

Press [SONG] and select a blank SONG location
Press [MIXING]
You can COPY the “Lake Side” Performance to this MIXING as a TEMPLATE (which assigns each PART to its own MIDI channel). By doing so we will be able to have a separate Knob for each PART’s Volume, here’s how:

Press [F4] TEMPLATE
Press [SF2] PERFORM
Select the Performance Bank and Number you wish to use, for our example “USR1:079 Lake Side”
Target PARTs “1-4”
Press [ENTER] to execute.

This will place the Piano in PART 1/Ch1, and place the Pad in PART 2/Ch2
You can Name (recommended) and the store your Song setup.
Press [SONG]
Press [JOB]
Press [F6] SONG
Select “Song Name” > press ENTER and give the song a title
Press [ENTER]

Press [STORE] to STORE your MIXING setup Make note of the SONG number.

Press [MASTER]
Press [F2] MEMORY
Set it to MODE = SONG
Set the number to your SONG’s number
Press [F3] ZONE SW
Set the ZONE Switch = ON
The ZONE KNOB Assign will be set to ON (giving us a KNOB Volume for each PART).

Press [EDIT]
Press numbered button [1] to edit ZONE 1
Press [F1] TRANS
Set ZONE 1 to transmit to the INT TG = ON ("Piano" CH1)
Set ZONE 2 to transmit to the INT TG = ON ( “Pad” CH2)

You have now created a MASTER program to address your PERFORMANCE data so that you have a KNOB for the VOLUME of each. You can see this assignment by pressing [F5] KNOBS

Press [STORE]

Hope that gives you some idea of not only how you can accomplish your goal, but that the MOX is a very deep instrument. I recommend the Yamaha FC7, but working through MASTER mode to control complex setups is a dream. It is worth getting to know the various modes.

VOICE mode - where all fundamental programming takes place
PERFORMANCE mode - where you combine up to four Voices in the mode’s 4 PARTS
SONG/PATTERN mode - where you combine up to 16 Voices for Sequencer or for Live access, in the mode’s 16 PARTS (MIDI receive channels can be set per PART). The only mode that allows the MOX to receive simultaneously on multiple MIDI channels.
MASTER mode - where you can organize your programs into a single Bank, offers control of both internal and external devices via MIDI. The only mode that allows you to transmit on multiple MIDI channels simultaneously.

By combining the SONG mode’s ability to receive on multiple MIDI channels, and the MASTER mode’s ability to transmit via the keyboard on as many as four MIDI channels, simultaneously, we have created a situation where we have the individual controls per PART that you desire.

Posted : 26/09/2017 2:59 pm

I think Leanne may be actually looking for a very easy solution. According to the Owners Manual page 36, if you press simultaneously Knob Function 1 and Knob Function 2 while in Performance mode, this will turn the top knobs into Volume controllers for the four performance voices and the bottom knobs will control the pan.
I'm not sure if you can save that into the performance, so your MOXF powers up like that thou...

Posted : 03/10/2017 2:15 am
Bad Mister

Kalin wrote:

I think Leanne may be actually looking for a very easy solution. According to the Owners Manual page 36, if you press simultaneously Knob Function 1 and Knob Function 2 while in Performance mode, this will turn the top knobs into Volume controllers for the four performance voices and the bottom knobs will control the pan.
I'm not sure if you can save that into the performance, so your MOXF powers up like that thou...

I may have read it wrong but I believe the question was how to do so on a MOX- your solution works on a MOXF, this is a known thing, but on the MOX you had to work for it 🙂

Posted : 03/10/2017 7:10 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us