Clear all

illegal file with loading ALL X6A file

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Jay
Topic starter

I having one more question?

I took my memory stick with me to the local guitar center to show a buddy what I've been doing with my MOXF6.

They had a MOXF8 on display, so i decided to load my X6A file, but it stopped half way through loading saying "Illegal File". It wouldn't load a song folder or even a single song either. could it be that the demo keyboard had an older memory update? Or... wont take the file since its for 61 keys? Or... is it because i have incorporated my flash memory waves into the my voices?

either way, I want to know how I'll get my X6A and X6S files to another MOXF6 if i have a breakdown. I sure hope that the 88 and 61 are compatible in case i want to upgrade to the bigger model.

Posted : 25/04/2018 12:51 am
 Jay
Topic starter

i also want to add that i did load up the K-sounds Organimation into my Moxf6. it uses the existing sounds in the keyboard and mods them. so that couldnt be the issue ?

Posted : 25/04/2018 12:59 am

is it because i have incorporated my flash memory waves into the my voices?

Bingo!

If your keyboard has the flash card and the x6a file points at a wave on the flash, and the keyboard you're moving to doesn't have the card, it's going to have a really bad day. This leads to 2 conclusions:

1) If you move to the xf8, your sounds will move as well *if* you also move the flash card to the new unit so it has someplace to put the waves.

2) If Yamaha ever issues an updated software, it *really* should make the error message clearer than just "illegal file" - like "unable to import waveforms"

Posted : 26/04/2018 12:20 pm
Bad Mister

Interesting. The MOXF has a separate error message for when you attempt to LOAD a .X6A File to a MOXF6/MOXF8 that does not have a Flash Memory Module installed.

The “Illegal File” error message should only appear when the file you are attempting to LOAD cannot be read in the current mode or is completely unusable. Therefore, I would not be able to conclude that it’s just the lack of a Flash Board.

The firmware version will be critical... earlier firmware might well react differently and is a potential issue that needs to be eliminated if at all possible.

I wouldn’t be chiming in except for the fact that it started to load the data, got to a point and then reported “Illegal File”... if it were just the Flash Board it would have reported that immediately. So I have to suspect some illegal data or corruption of your file.

Posted : 26/04/2018 12:40 pm
 Jay
Topic starter

i have saved the files to multiple sandisk 16gb thumb drives so i have backups. i'm afraid to try and load a different "X6A" file just to see if it is corrupted because everything is working flawlessly. all thumb drives load my song files. plus, i save my X6A if i edit a voice. i'd hate to not be able to access my 700 songs. but i'd like to be sure i can get a replacement keyboard that i can load and play my files if needed

Posted : 26/04/2018 3:41 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us