Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Is there a way to exchange insertion effects from one part to another during a song - using Cubase AI?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

(Corrected my use of internal effects to insertion effects - thanks Bad Mister)

Just wondering if there is a way to exchange insertion effect assignments during a song.

Say I have parts 1 to 8 all with insertion effects on and then mid way through the song - I want to stop parts 2 through 4 from using insertion effects and open up parts 11-13 for insertion effects.

I know that I can record and print parts 1 to 8 with effects, (mute parts 9 to 16) then go back and do 9 to 16 with effects. But just wondering if it is possible to do it all without have to make 2 separate recordings?

Possible?

Possible -but so difficult that it's hardly worth it?

Impossible?

Thanks for a response.

Posted : 11/12/2015 2:13 am
Bad Mister

Possible?

Yes, this is possible via Parameter Change System Exclusive messages.

Possible -but so difficult that it's hardly worth it?

Yes it is difficult, you will earn your MIDI Jedi Knight Merit Badge.

Impossible?

Nothing is really impossible - but success will depend on your music. Switching effect (and we are sure you are talking about "INSERTION EFFECT" when you say "internal effects") must take place between the PARTs making musical output. In other words, if you switch the effects while the instrument is sounding you will get what you deserve and a huge glitch-like interruption in sound. But if there is time (musical space) to do it, yes, it is possible.

How are you with System Exclusive?
Your answer is on page 121 and page 133 of the Data List booklet.

recommendation: Unless you have a good reason, the solution you offered is quicker, easier, and since your goal is to record audio to Cubase, it's also smarter (because it is quicker and easier). The only (good) reason to make the MIDI Jedi Knight move would be if you were simply using this "live" - but since the goal is recording to Cubase... take the Yellow Brick Road, it leads directly to Oz! 🙂

Posted : 12/12/2015 4:55 am
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

(Sorry about writing internal effects instead of insertion effects - I've changed that above to avoid confusion.)

OK - that's what I figured.

Thanks for taking the time.

I was looking at all the forum - and I saw all the responses that you do every day.

Thanks for your hard work and dedication Phil!

Blessings!

johnb

Posted : 12/12/2015 8:11 am
Bad Mister

If you are curious and want to earn that 'Merit Badge' we'd be happy to place an article in the Resources area that shows how to select which Parts have active Insert Switches. As you know, any 8 of the internal synth (or AD Input) Part can have their dual Insertion Effect active at any one moment. You can switch the active INS SW using the Parameter Change messages.

Posted : 12/12/2015 2:12 pm
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

YES! I would be interested in such an article! Thanks!

Posted : 13/12/2015 10:38 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us