Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Knob Curve: table1-5... Where are those tables?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

Playing with the filter cutoff & resonance live with the knobs, I find them a bit too reactive to my taste. I've found in the MOXF reference manual how to change the knobs "curve" (p143), which I believe might be what I'm looking for. Am I on the right track?

There is 5 values possible, table1 to table5. I couldn't find anywhere the details those tables in the documentation... Could somebody point me to it or explain the difference between the 5 values?

Thanks!
JSB

Posted : 03/10/2015 3:48 pm
Bad Mister

From a previous post.......

Yes, the knobs are velocity sensitive, the faster you move the knob the farther the parameter value changes. If you are trying to achieve a sonically smooth result rather than a speedy change, then you should set the resolution for the knobs for this purpose. Otherwise you are working against the "feature"... or rather, the "feature" is working against you!

If you need to move from a value of 0 to 127 rapidly you can have the knob get there quickly by turning the knob quickly: it is velocity sensitive! Yet if you increment the knob, one click at a time, it can take several complete turns to reach 127.

This reaction/response, where speed (velocity) increases the distance traversed, can make a filter sweep sound "steppy", but you'll be happy to know, it is a programmable "feature"... Simply change the resolution or curve for the Knobs.
Press [UTILITY]
Press [F1] GENERAL
Press [SF6] OTHER

Knob Curve
Adjusts the touch response sensitivity in five steps. Larger values provide higher sensitivity, letting you make large changes to the actual value even with slight turning of the Knob.
Settings: table1 – table5

Smoother changes (smaller increments) would be achieved with Table 1. Very large jumps in value would be achieved with Table 5. Using the wrong Knob Curve can cause you to conclude as you have - that the filter is "steppy" - of course, as you realize, it is not... The setting of the Knob Curve is making it "steppy" as a "feature" - it 'thinks' (at your current setting) that you are in a hurry to get to the value. When trying to get sonic sweeping results, set the Knob Curve to the appropriate resolution.

Thanks for the question. Hope that helps.

Posted : 03/10/2015 4:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us