Looking for confirmation on sound of song file done on MOXF6

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

Hi I have a song file that sounds good (to me) in Cubase - no obvious distortion - punchy but not overcompressed.

But horrible in itunes - obviously distorted and overcompressed.

Need a confirmation if the sound is clear or distorted.

Any help and suggestions would be would be great!

Thanks!

johnb

Posted : 24/07/2015 12:54 am
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have tried multiple times to get the file to upload - but it doesn't appear to be doing so.

Once again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1i0I5EF2MU

Posted : 24/07/2015 1:00 am
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

My Process:

1. Recorded everything in Cubase AI7

2, Did Export - Audio Mixdown

3. Put the file through some mastering tools.

4. Dropped the processed file into a new Cubase project

5. Everything sounds nice. Punchy transparent - not perfect - but good enough for where I am right now.

6. Played the same file through itunes - and it's horrible!

7. What am I missing?

Thanks!

jb

Posted : 24/07/2015 1:09 am
Bad Mister

Ignore the Project and File parameter settings at your own peril.

1. Recorded everything in Cubase AI7

At what settings did you record the Project?

2, Did Export - Audio Mixdown

At what settings did you export the MIXDOWN?

3. Put the file through some mastering tools.

Any tools in particular? This is a serious "wildcard"... You might be missing a lot here, it is unknown.

4. Dropped the processed file into a new Cubase project

What Project settings are used in the new Project?

5. Everything sounds nice. Punchy transparent - not perfect - but good enough for where I am right now.

Sounding nice is what can be misleading. You can playback through the 32-bit floating point engine of Cubase (sounds glorious), but what does it translate to (the settings you are making) when you squeeze it down to fit into that iTunes slot? iTunes is not Cubase, when you create the file that iTunes is going to deal with, your settings for creating that file are critical.

6. Played the same file through itunes - and it's horrible!

Not sure what exactly (file type) you are playing through iTunes... Are you playing a file that it can reproduce, this is not clear, at all. The description "horrible" is also difficult to decipher because this is relative, and too subjective to know what you mean. Does it sound like an error or simply not as good as you'd like? "Horrible" can cover a lot of territory.

7. What am I missing?

The type of file, the sample rate and resolution of the generated file. You are not respecting the specifics of the files you are creating. Are you working with 16-bit, 24-bit, 32-bit floating point? What mastering tools are you using and what format are you working? You can ignore the numbers, but at the peril of your results.

You should lean heavily on the documentation of your DAW (Cubase AI) and your mastering tool software about preparation of your finished project.
The Forums over at Steinberg.net can be of assistance in finalizing your project... It is really 'off topic' for the MOXF forum. But we can tell from your lack of mentioning these very important parameter settings you may not be handling your data at optimum.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 24/07/2015 6:14 am
John
 John
Trusted Member
Topic starter

we can tell from your lack of mentioning these very important parameter settings you may not be handling your data at optimum.

😀

Yup - that would be accurate!!!!

Thanks for all the diagnostic questions...again - a lot to learn!

Stereo out peaks at -2 db - all other meters are below that. No obvious distortion in the final mix down - nor in the .wav file that is generated.

I always record at 44.1 16 bit.

Using AAMS mastering software - VERY cheap!
There are so many parameters - right now it's best that I don't try to post anything that I have processed - until I figure it out a bit more.

AAMS produces a mp3 file - from the final master - that mp3 is what I've been running through iTunes. All my iTunes songs are mp3s.

When I don't use any compression - the track is very soft. But it is clear - I just have to turn the volume up higher.

But If I "master" it - it sounds distorted on iTunes and some other media players. Other media players don't have the problem

Sorry for getting off topic. MOXF and Cubase AI7 are all part of the package for me. I've been seeing them as one unit. I'll do better at keeping them separate for the forum.

In the end I simply posted the song "unmastered" on Sound Cloud.

Sound Cloud has some kind of compression happening with their player. The song is a bit "louder" than the raw mp3.. But - it is clear - and right now that's more important to me. Just have to to turn the volume control up! Not a big deal.

As always - an insightful response! Thank you!

johnb

Posted : 24/07/2015 3:28 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us