Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Midi from Moxf6 to Cubase AI 9.5 in pattern mode... is it possible to record tracks separately?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello

I want to record the midi tracks of a pattern in Cubase.

I am using the moxf VST.... it works... but only track by track. If I create 16 midi tracks, and try to record it at the same time, in each track the cubase records the same thing: all the midi notes of all the tracks, but with the instrument asigned.

I mean, in track 1, it will sound like the piano I have selected... but playing ALL the tracks. In track 2, with the trumpet... but playing ALL the tracks.

What I am doing bad? What I have to do to record each midi-track at the same time?

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 26/01/2019 2:49 pm
Bad Mister

What I am doing bad? What I have to do to record each midi-track at the same time?

Here’s what you’re missing and how to accomplish your goal:
MIDI does not require separate Tracks to keep data separated... MIDI has a “Channel” system where each of 16 MIDI parts can co-exist on a single Track without interfering with any other part’s data. This is different from Audio data.
A Cubase MIDI Track, for example, as you’ve correctly noticed, is capable of recording all 16 MIDI Channels of information. The only reason to separate MIDI data to individual Tracks is for the convenience of viewing it and editing it.

Here’s how to proceed: you are going to record just a single MIDI track, initially... then, you will *separate* the data after you’ve recorded it!

Step-by-Step
Set Cubase to be the master clock: Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP... > MIDI CLOCK > DESTINATION = MOXF (Port1)
Set the MOXF to be the slave to MIDI clock: Press [UTILITY] > [F6] MIDI > [F3] SYNC > set MIDI SYNC = Auto
Set the SeqCtrl = In

In Cubase create one MIDI Track.
PROJECT > ADD TRACK > MIDI > add one MIDI TRACK
Set that MIDI Track so the INPUT = ALL MIDI INPUT and the OUTPUT = MOXF VST MidiIn
Set the Channel = “Any”

By setting the channel to “Any”, Cubase will be able to document all 16 Channels of information coming from your MOXF... and can send it back to the MOXF on the Channel it came in on.
Set the Track to Record and transfer the data in real-time.

When complete press STOP
Now you can have Cubase separate each MIDI Channel to a separate Track.
Go to MIDI > DISSOLVE PART > set the dialog box to “Separate by Channel”

Note: if DISSOLVE PART is not available, you must *select* the recorded track data... on the main Track view screen simply click on the recorded data to select it.

Cubase will now list all Channel 1 Data on its own Track, Channel 2 Data on its own Track and so on.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 26/01/2019 3:35 pm
Asa
 Asa
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks!

Now it works.

Posted : 26/01/2019 6:22 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us