Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MOXF A/D Instruments and Cubase effects realtime

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi, I have a Yamaha MOXF8 and am using it with my Windows 10 Pro computer and Cubase 9 Elements. While connecting a microphone or guitar to the A/D input I am able to hear their sound with my headphones plugged into the headphone jack on the MOXF but when I add an insert for a given audio channel in cubase I do not hear the effects of the insert while I play but I do when I play the recording back. I have tried turning off direct monitoring of the A/D port like I would on the part but I do not hear anything at all then. Please let me know what settings I should change.

Thank you!

Jamie

Posted : 17/09/2017 6:22 pm
Bad Mister

In order to monitor yourself with plugin Effects, you need to ensure the following routing scenario. We are going to make some assumptions (because you didn't tell us)...

We are going to assume you are using the MOXF as your audio and MIDI interface, that you have the "Yamaha Steinberg USB driver" installed on your computer. And that you have the MOXF setup for 4CH (dual stereo USB Outputs). We are going to assume you have a dynamic microphone plugged into the Left A/D Input jack.

In [UTILITY] > [F1] GENERAL > [SF6] OTHER > Mic/Line = Mic
[SF5] USB I/O > make sure the DIRECT MONITOR SWITCH for "A/D In&Part" = OFF

This setting will ensure you are going to monitoring through Cubase, post (after) your plug in Effect. (Turning Direct Monitor OFFis correct.)

In Cubase, go to DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > INPUT tab

Click on "Add Bus"
Add a Mono Bus
Set that Mono Bus to the MOXF's PORT 1 (the A/D Input Left)
If it is used elsewhere turn it off elsewhere and set MOXF port 1 as the Input to the MONO In

Go to the main Track view, create a Mono Audio Track, select the Input set to the MONO BUS you just created.

Apply your plugin Effect via the Track Inspector > Inserts.

The audio of this Returns to the synthesizer via the DAW LEVEL slider just to the right of the MOXF's main Volume slider. Make sure that it is raised to hear yourself with your DAW Effects.

Use headphones, turn your speaker off to avoid them getting in the microphone.

Posted : 19/09/2017 2:13 am

Just one thing to add - after you have disabled the Direct monitoring in the MOXF settings you need to enable the channel monitoring for that Mono track in Cubase.
More info with pictures in the link below:
http://www.ergblog.com/monitoring-in-cubase

Posted : 19/09/2017 8:07 am
Topic starter

I wish to thank both of you very much for your help. Bad Mister I am sorry that I did not supply all the information that I should have but your assumptions were 100%. I love that both the MOXF and Cubase have so much more depth than I have encountered before and I have a lot to chew on. Thank you Kalin too for the information pertaining to different monitoring approaches Cubase allows you. It seems to work very well.

Also, thank you for responding to my questions so quickly!

Thanks again!

Jamie

Posted : 20/09/2017 3:27 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us