Clear all

MOXF and Cubase Ai7 Exporting Audio Mixdown problems

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Glon
Topic starter

Hi,

Ive got connectet my MOXF with Cubase Ai7.
also installed MOXF6/MOXF8 VSTi

Im in performance mode, hit record, make a pattern.
Then I want to record MIDI to Cubase. I connect the VSTi MOXF->PC mode, hit record on ALL channels, and I have got my midi track with my pattern from MOXF in Cubase and its playing good.

Then I want to Export it as audio file - > Export - > AudioMixdown - and its playing in realtime (why??? Can I do it offline) and "propably" saves as *.wav file.
When It stop exporting I hit the wav file and it is silence No audio.

When I hit F3 and open my mixer and hit play the "Master Out" is not working. Other Midi tracks are ok, but it seems that no sound is forwarding Midi tracks to Master Out.

My Utility setup is selected USB I/O "VST", I have selected Cubase etc.
Strange thing is that when I create Audio track, and then hit record on audio track -> it recording my midi channels to audio, and when Im playing back only audio track on mixer i see that Master Out is working now.

When I try to record from other VSTi for example FM7 - midi is exporting to audio so it must be some configuration problem with MOXF

Posted : 08/01/2015 6:19 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

It is not working because you have not routed the signal properly from Cubase to the Editor, from the Editor to the MOXF, and back to Cubase as Audio. Here's a troubleshooting list that should help...

In order to use "Export Audio MIXDOWN", you must meet the following requirements:
_ the MIDI data must be transferred to MIDI tracks in Cubase. (In order for virtual audio routing to occur the MIDI data must originate from Cubase).
_ when you launch the Editor VST (Devices > VST Instrument > External > MOXF6/MOXF8 VST) it will create a track assigned to the VST's Midi In.
_ the MIDI Tracks each need to be re-assigned so the Track Inspector's MIDI OUT is routed to "MOXF VST-Midi In" (when this is the case you will see the keyboard of the Editor respond to the Midi Notes of the selected Track).
_ the Editor VST is the MOXF's 1:1 representative on your computer... It will be responsible for addressing the external hardware and for receiving data back from the external hardware. The Track is sending the MIDI DATA through to the hardware MOXF, which responds by outputting AUDIO back to the computer.
_ in the EDITOR VST go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > here is where you set the AUDIO RETURNS. MOXF 3/4 is the default for internal Parts, use 1/2 for the A/D Part or to isolate synth Parts.
_ the audio will now cause the Audio Meter of the MOXF VST "Audio Lane" to show signal returning from the hardware MOXF
_ you must set the Cubase In/Out Markers to define the region of measures that are to be Exported as Audio.

Of course, the Audio is rendered in real time, it is *real* audio, it is audio generated by the MOXF (it only knows how to generate audio one-way, in realtime). The difference between exporting audio from the MOXF VST and exporting audio from a computer based software VST (like YC-3B, or FM7), is the computer is responsible for the audio of the software VST, the MOXF hardware is responsible for generating the audio for the MOXF VST.

Signal Flow for VST Routing when the VSTi is an External Device
Midi signal travels from the Cubase Midi Track through the MOXF EDITOR VST to the MOXF; the MOXF returns audio to Cubase via the MOXF Editor VST which is setup to return audio to the MOXF VST Folder where you can mix it down via the MOXF VST Audio Lane.

Unless you see the Meter registering audio return your wave will be empty... Remember MIDI cannot be heard, MIDI must trigger a synth engine (MOXF) which "returns" audio to the MOXF VST's Audio Lane.

Posted : 08/01/2015 8:30 pm
 Glon
Topic starter

Thank you, I try to solve my problem.
Other thing is - recording arp notes to Cubase - . simply I play some arp, and it's recording live to cubase as a arp. not single note...
Is the only way to do it is to record Pattern or Song on MOXF, and then thru VSTi REMOTE - record as Midi notes? - I only that way recieve the arp notes.

I just wanna force MOXF to work with Cubase as a sequencer, so I can play thru VSTi REMOTE voices, arp, and performance(is it possible) with performance mode? etc and record it to Cubase - and my final project will be in Cubase, but I want to be able to shuffle with arp1,arp2,arp3... and that will be recorded in Cubae, also I want to use Performance mode and record single notes from arps etc...

I hope you understand me...

Posted : 08/02/2015 5:48 pm
Bad Mister

Other thing is - recording arp notes to Cubase - . simply I play some arp, and it's recording live to cubase as a arp. not single note...
Is the only way to do it is to record Pattern or Song on MOXF, and then thru VSTi REMOTE - record as Midi notes? - I only that way recieve the arp notes.

There are two ways to record arpeggios from the MOXF to a DAW like Cubase:

1) Record the arpeggios to the MOXF sequencer and transfer the data to CUBASE by synchronizing clocks and recording to Cubase or save a file (SMF) and open it in Cubase (EASY way)
2) Record the arpeggios over in real time. (HARD way)

What you need to know
The MOXF will send what YOU play out via MIDI... This is the normal status for the MOXF. You play middle C the note C3 is sent out via MIDI.
Only if you tell the MOXF not to send out what you play, but rather what the Arpeggiator is "playing", will it send the arpeggio generated notes OUT via MIDI.

Remember when you trigger an arpeggio phrase this is not YOU playing, your key presses travel to the arpeggiator, the arpeggiator will generate data based on the various Arp setting. If you want that data to go out to Cubase (instead of what YOU actually played) you must select a MIDI channel and turn the ARP's MIDI OUTPUT SWITCH = On. (Doing so will prevent your direct key presses from going OUT via MIDI... it is an either/or situation).

From a PERFORMANCE, SONG/PATTERN:
Press [ARP ED]
Press [F6] OUT CH
Here you can turn the ARP's Output Switch = On
And you can select a MIDI channel for that data to travel on

Why I refer to recording this method of recording OUT via MIDI the "HARD way" is because not only must you turn the ARP MIDI OUT function On, and select a Channel, 1-16, it can be very complex when you attempt to record multiple arpeggios at the same time... like when attempting to record a PERFORMANCE, for example.

In a PERFORMANCES, you may be playing one PART while a separate Arpeggiator is playing each of the other three PARTs. This is very complex because to the external DAW (Cubase) it only sees you playing on a single MIDI channel. It is your job to send each PART that is under Arpeggio control, on its own MIDI channel and setup a Cubase MIDI Track to record multiple MIDI channels simultaneously. Also you must synchronize the clocks so that they run together and data can be properly placed in Cubase.

Then before you can playback, you must copy the Performance PARTS to four PARTS of a SONG MIXING or PATTERN MIXING setup, making sure you match the MIDI channel for each to the right Parts... This is all done automatically by the MOXF' own "Direct Performance Record" feature (and is why it is the easier way). It requires a black belt in MIDI to do this manually, trust me.

However, recording just one arp at a time to Cubase is fairly easy.

If you have a specific thing you'd like to try, please give us specifics. Because not all 7,981 arpeggios are treated the same. Most Arps are made up of Note data (these can be recorded fairly normally), but some arpeggios are velocity zoned Hybrids (where one velocity triggers certain Elements, and another velocity might trigger an entirely different set of Elements), still other ARPs are simply controller data (pitch bend, volume, pan or filter changes), each type requires a different set of rules to record it as MIDI. Not all ARPS behave the same. And they certainly cannot all be recorded as MIDI data as easily as you record yourself playing alone.

Those arp phrases that are Note data and the KEY MODE is either "sort" or "thru" can easily be recorded (this is the vast majority of the arp phrases). When the arp data involves a "hybrid arp phrase" where velocity mapping is involved, such that notes you play trigger a Pad, at the same time other oscillators (Elements) are responding to an Arp phrase limited to a specific velocity range, this requires a restructuring of the Elements so a receiving external sequencer can make sense of it.

The MOXF has Direct Performance Record which is designed to handle most of the heavy-lifting...when you need to record multiple ARP's simultaneously this feature takes care of the MIDI channel assignment and Output Switches on the Parts that require it, and it also will copy the the Parts to the MIXING and assign the MIDI channel to the appropriate Part, automatically. Time saver, head scratching saver, easy...

You can do this (record MIDI data from multiple arps simultaneously) to an external DAW, but as I said it is detailed and involved (Hard way). Requires extensive routing skills.

Let us know.

Posted : 08/02/2015 8:15 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us