Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MOXF AS A VST INSTRUMENT IN CUBASE

29 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Bad Mister

When you touch the MOXF keys the keyboard icon in the Editor should show your activity.
The stereo meter on the MOXF VST Audio Lane should be indicating audio arriving from the MOXF hardware.

If not,
on the MOXF Editor's menu bar go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > Make sure your MOXF is set to return audio to the DAW.
Your synth sounds are using OUTPUT SELECT "3&4" ... make sure you are returning audio via 3&4 to Cubase (DAW).

VSTi SETUP screenshot would be helpful.

Also you mentioned that all my other sounds (games,video etc) should come through moxf,that is also not happening.
It happens only inside cubase(i.e the metronome click,audio track etc)
How can this be achieved ?

If you are not getting this it's due to either a conflict or setting you've made. Let's get audio through Cubase then we can work on your Windows issues.

Posted : 14/03/2018 6:55 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

When you touch the MOXF keys the keyboard icon in the Editor should show your activity.
The stereo meter on the MOXF VST Audio Lane should be indicating audio arriving from the MOXF hardware.

If not,
on the MOXF Editor's menu bar go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > Make sure your MOXF is set to return audio to the DAW.
Your synth sounds are using OUTPUT SELECT "3&4" ... make sure you are returning audio via 3&4 to Cubase (DAW).

Also you mentioned that all my other sounds (games,video etc) should come through moxf,that is also not happening.
It happens only inside cubase(i.e the metronome click,audio track etc)
How can this be achieved ?

If you are not getting this it's due to either a conflict or setting you've made. Let's get audio through Cubase then we can work on your Windows issues.

i have already done that.
Here is the screenshot for that
Kindly read my query again

Attached files

Posted : 14/03/2018 7:03 pm
Bad Mister

I've read your query - when something is not clear, I ask again. If you meant your sentence "I have even selected o/p 3&4" that was not clear, all Parts have already been set to Output 3&4... I was asking you to RETURN USB 3&4 to Cubase, not setting outputs to 3&4. Sorry, if I'm not being clear. But if I ask again, it is only in an attempt to help.

With your screenshot mScreenshot.png set as it is ....touching the keys should cause the Audio Lane's meter to show stereo audio.
It is the action of assigning the AUDIO RETURN PORTS that routes the MOXF USB 3&4 audio to the MOXF6/MOXF8 Audio Lane.

Do you see the meter on the Audio Lane indicating stereo audio returning from the MOXF hardware?
If yes, then you are correctly setup for EXPORT AUDIO MIXDOWN.

Posted : 14/03/2018 7:20 pm

Bad Mister wrote:

With your screenshot mScreenshot.png touching the keys shoul cause the Audio Lane to show stereo audio.
It is the action of assigning the AUDIO RETURN PORTS that routes the audio to the MOXF6/MOXF8 Audio Lane.

Do you see the meter on the Audio Lane indicating stereo audio returning from the MOXF hardware?

Do you mean the the track above midi track as seen in mscreenshot.png should show waveforms after recording ?
I can see the graphics dancing beside the track column while playing keys
I don't know about audio lane

Posted : 14/03/2018 7:29 pm
Bad Mister

I’ve been talking about this Audio Lane throughout this thread. You can tell it’s an Audio Lane because it has a speaker icon, it has a Mute/Solo button. The fact that the meter is responding means audio is properly routed and is available for Export Audio Mixdown.

When you playback your MIDI Tracks you should see this Audio Lane meter moving, that is what becomes the exported audio.

This Audio Lane is receiving the returning the audio from the MOXF hardware; the Audio Lane for any VSTi (virtual synth) never shows a Waveform (that’s the ‘virtual’ part of it). An actual audio waveform is not created you execute an EXPORT AUDIO MIXDOWN. And even then, the audio from the Export Audio Mixdown will be placed on a separate Cubase “Audio Track”.

I explain above ... it is not called a Track, it’s referred to as an "Audio Lane"... this is why. It virtual audio - you only monitor it here.
Exporting it creates a real audio “track” ... see below.

Here’s how:
Set a Marker at the top and end of the longest track... this will represent the start and end point for the audio mixdown Waveform. Highlight the data field of the longest track and tap “P” on your QWERTY this will place the start and end markers.

Go to FILE > EXPORT > AUDIO MIXDOWN > you then need to fill in the dialog box that appears... if you want to place the “Waveform” in the Project you need to check that under “Import into Project” > “Pool” and “Audio Track”.

Because the MOXF VST is an External VST, the mixdown will take place in real-time. Let us know.

Posted : 14/03/2018 9:14 pm

Have a look at these screenshots
I have marked few of them with white circle to understand it better

Attached files

Posted : 15/03/2018 5:11 am
Bad Mister

No, no, no, i’ll Have to quote you “Kindly read my post again” where are your Markers... you did none of what I suggested...

Sorry, you are obviously new to VSTs and Cubase. There will never ever ever, be any audio there never. Never ever be audio where you are drawing that circle... Cubase will automatically create a REAL AUDIO TRACK, as opposed to the Virtual Audio Lane...

You have metering there.... Success. That’s good. I told you your are ready now to execute the Export
Now (last time) read carefully: it’s not hard...

Go to FILE > EXPORT > Audio Mixdown
A dialog box similar to this one will appear - this is the Setup for EXPORTING AUDIO MIXDOWN

Click export, you will be told an external synth will require the data be made in real time (I’m repeating myself again redundantly all over again. We’ll try to find some relevant Steinberg videos for you... we’ll add them to this thread later.

Take your time, you are almost there... 😉

Posted : 15/03/2018 1:15 pm

Yes I am completely new to this
Also I am only a month old to the MoXF
I think I have to wait for your video tutorial
This is really annoying me a little

Attached files

Posted : 15/03/2018 3:10 pm
Bad Mister

We’re you able to fill in the Export Audio Mixdown screen?

Great tutorial here ... Export Audio Mixdown is covered starting around 4:20
https://youtu.be/_6ClrrTr0uc

Posted : 15/03/2018 4:31 pm

Yes,got it 🙂
I was able to export the audio mix down(real time export) also the O/P file is sounding correct
This is a great tutorial ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ClrrTr0uc&feature=youtu.be)
Thank u so much !
Now we are only left with our windows issue
Also what should be an average latency
mine shows : input latency 16.73ms and output latency 22.51 ms

Posted : 16/03/2018 7:18 am

Still Waiting !

Posted : 17/03/2018 8:34 am
Bad Mister

When setting up for optimum (minimum) Input/Output Latency you do so by reducing the Buffer Size. The smaller the Buffer Size the lower the latency. Ideally, you want it at single digit milliseconds, if you are in a situation where you have to monitor through the computer during Record. Latency is of no importance when just listening, it is a problem during Record or overdubbing.

How it works is, the computer takes time to receive, process, and then output data, this delay, versus a signal traveling *direct* to the speakers, is called the “latency”.

Visually you can get a great explanation at 3:09 of this video
https://youtu.be/oTwcBkRi0ic

If fact if you start at 2:20 you’ll get a great explanation of ASIO (Audio Streaming Input Output), VST (Virtual Studio Technology) and Latency.

In general, you lower the Buffer Size until you hear clicks and pops, then back it off by one setting.
Since you are using external hardware, that allows Direct Monitoring you never have to be at the wrong end of latency. The MOXF, as your audio interface, let’s you Direct Monitor your playing or singing (mic) when recording to DAWs, and since you have boutique-level processing built-in, you can record using Zero Latency Direct Monitoring.

This means that during Record or Overdubbing operations for Zero Latency Monitoring you’ll want to to Mute (“m”) the VST Instrument Audio Lane, this way you can Direct Monitor (send the audio of the MOXF directly to the speakers) your playing.

Posted : 17/03/2018 12:19 pm

Okay !
Thank u for exaplaining it so simple
Though the video is not available,I understood from your explaination.

Why every time my MoXF syncs with the Moxf editor,it removes data of my favorite list (i.e all favorites are removed) ?

Posted : 18/03/2018 12:20 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry about that bad link... here it is...

https://youtu.be/oTwcBkRi0ic

Posted : 26/03/2018 8:19 pm
Page 2 / 2
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us