Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Moxf basic Audio recording III gone wrong

10 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

The basic guide, experiment, within this link ( https://yamahasynth.com/moxf-category/moxf-basic-audio-recording-part-iii ), I can not achieve the recording with the Sequenzer set to in/out, Midi sync set to external, meaning Cubase. I am trying to record the drums.

I am in song mode as told in the basic guide. In song mode I have clicked the mixing button and in part 1 I have clicked CAtegory search and selected the drum kit part 1. I have turned up the daw a bit to hear the click. I click record on the Transport panel in Cubase (I don't click record in the Seq transport: Is this wrong?). As seen in the attached doc It seems the grid is still time, not beat or whatever. THis leads me to guess there is no sync going on. I am not sure exactly what it is I am to achieve with this exercise, other than recording the midi signal as audio. I only can hear myself when Local control is on. Else not (which seems logical since it is an audio track.

Earlier in another regard, I tried to change from time as the measurement to beats and read somewhere on the web that it is a global setting. I was UNABLE to find this setting. Searched and searched. THere might be a lot of functions but surely finding them is hard some times. I don't know if this owes to screwing up the Userinterface by changing the location (perhaps because programmers earn money by altering things all the time. Well another global subject not to be dealt with here, but utterly annoying).

How to achieve what is suggested in the Basic III below?

Reg
D (PS: I still haven't got answers to how to change my alias)

Attached files

Posted : 23/09/2018 7:55 pm
Bad Mister

The basic guide, experiment, within this link ( https://yamahasynth.com/moxf-category/moxf-basic-audio-recording-part-iii ), I can not achieve the recording with the Sequenzer set to in/out, Midi sync set to external, meaning Cubase. I am trying to record the drums.

You have Sequence data in the MOXF which you are recording as audio to Cubase. Is that correct?

You can change the Project counter to "Bars+Beats", by going to PROJECT > Project Setup... > set the Display Format = "Bar+Beats"

Are you outputting MIDI CLOCK from Cubase?
Go to TRANSPORT > PROJECT SYNCHRONIZATION SETUP... > MIDI CLOCK OUT > Destination = MOXF Port 1

Hopefully you went through Parts 1 and 2... and didn't just start with Part 3 (?)

I only can hear myself when Local control is on.

Local Control means the MOXF Keyboard is triggering the MOXF Tone Generator. That's why you can hear yourself. If you turn Local Control = Off, you disconnect the MOXF Keyboard from the MOXF Tone Generator. This is always true.

Posted : 25/09/2018 3:10 pm
Topic starter

"You have Sequence data in the MOXF which you are recording as audio to Cubase. Is that correct?"

Well if you mean I already recorded some midi with the sequenser then no. I understood that the Basic guide III was just about getting the clocking externalised.

SO NOw I got Cubase set to Beats/bars. SO far so good. MIght be good to mention in the manual/guide too. I searched online several weeks ago, in another context, and found nowhere HOW to set that globally.

So Still I am going to record Audio: Not Midi. Despite I am in song mode which I thought was strictly midi??? COnfusing. But perhaps it never worked since CUbase was still in TIme grid mode.

Anyway the basic guide III seems to not be updated compared to the Cubase 9.5 AI, because WHERE DO I FIND VST CONNECTIONS AND SET THE METRONOME??? I know how to do it in the Transport panel and did that already (but perhaps the manual describes the global setting). Easy. I just click C. BUt VST connections (have no such name anywhere in cubase)??? I searched and searched for that "Audio device". Very cryptic especially since the names in the guide are nowhere to be found in REAL LIFE.

I know the MOXF8 has got some years on its back now and that CUbase has probably developed and been alterered. SO those manuals ought to be altered as well, is my suggestion. FOr the sake of newcomers, within the synth world, who don't have a clue as the oldschools have.

And yes I got the audio basic i-ii and have been recording audio including with the mic. But now I need to use midi professionally on some projects I am hired for. So I am taking it step by step to understand things from scratch. I have studied the manual for MIDI recording, the Insertion effect guide and will get into the Master Mode instructions (Your guide) in due time. JUst to give you a hint as to where I am at.

PS: I chose to start applying the Quick Setup 1/A and changed it from there. Chose the Midi SYnc = Auto (since it covers several needs).

ANother question: Can I save the settings within a Song? SOmeone has recommended that one can save 16 parts within a song instead of using a performance that is limited to 4 parts. SO I wonder if the setup in terms of midi stuff is being saved within the song? In other words can I save all the performed settings within a song?

I just saw that the MODX8 has been recently released. SOmeone confirmed my suspicion to me, that finally the inherited discrepancy between users and engineers, being outspoken in earlier model generations, has been deleted to the benefit of users entering the field.

NAturally I pondered whether, by exchanging my current synth for the MODX8, I would save myself of such nightmare of a lack of user friendliness, inherited down from generation to generation, in order to keep old customers coming back for more??? Perhaps you are not the right one to ask such question since I know you have made videos about the MOXF and due to your extensive experience with the synth world: Having an overview, and already knowing what you are searching for in different models.

Posted : 27/09/2018 11:05 am
Bad Mister

So Still I am going to record Audio: Not Midi. Despite I am in song mode which I thought was strictly midi??? COnfusing. But perhaps it never worked since CUbase was still in TIme grid mode

”strictly midi” - let’s clear this up, the Display Format simply changes how the program displays the March of Time... it can display it in Clock time (seconds), it can display it in bars and beats, this does not affect whether it records MIDI or Audio, at all. This only affects how the passage of time is displayed on the screen. That’s all.

It’s just logical if just recording audio to view “Seconds”... audio recording traditionally used clock time Min:Sec. recording a Live solo piano piece direct as audio no need (necessarily to count any other way)
And when recording MIDI, it’s logical to view “Bars+Beats” or if you are recording audio and will be adding additional parts later. The measure lines make sense.

In Cubase 9.5 the menu option formally called “DEVICES” is now called “STUDIO”
What formally was “DEVICE SETUP...” is now “STUDIO SETUP...”
The option called “VST CONNECTIONS” is now called “AUDIO CONNECTIONS”

The articles were originally written back 2013 when the MOXF was new and Cubase AI7 was the version. They were updated when this change took place - which was at version 9.5.
See MOXF Basic Audio Record (Part 1)
(This is why we asked if you went through Parts 1 and 2)...

If there are still missing updates, we will attempt go through and update the articles (Thank you, for the suggestion). After years of calling it one thing Steinberg decided to change those headings. Sorry for that confusion.

Posted : 27/09/2018 12:07 pm
Topic starter

THis passage in the instructions does not make any sense:

Go to DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > OUTPUT

Just to the right of the AUDIO DEVICE you will see the word "CLICK" - this sends the Cubase metronome sound to the DAW output.

SO I look at the output busses as I also did before. DOn't see any "CLick": Just the ports 1-4.

I edited the above commentary a couple of times since I didn't know when to get hold of you: Different timezones etc. 🙂

It might have expanded since you read it 😉

Posted : 27/09/2018 12:19 pm
Topic starter

Thank you, as long as I don't have to be crucified for a lack of comprehension 😀

Posted : 27/09/2018 12:57 pm
Bad Mister

THis passage in the instructions does not make any sense:

Go to DEVICES > VST CONNECTIONS > OUTPUT

Go to STUDIO > AUDIO CONNECTIONS > OUTPUT

Posted : 27/09/2018 2:56 pm
Topic starter

AUdio connections is not under studio setup. It is a single menu point. As said there is no setting related to the metronome.

Posted : 27/09/2018 4:52 pm
Bad Mister

Go to STUDIO > AUDIO CONNECTIONS > OUTPUTS
This takes you to the Output connection tab
Here you can see the Audio Device, the Device Ports and the Click column

Make sure CLICK appears on the line with "Stereo Out" - "Stereo" - "Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8".

then...
On the TRANSPORT > Transport Panel (F2) you have two icons for Click (it looks like a metronome). One turns it on and off; while the other activates the Count-in

The Time Signature (4/4) is shown in between the icons.

Posted : 27/09/2018 5:53 pm
Topic starter

Yes I have looked in the correct place all along. Problem is as seen in the screen shot that there is no CLICK in the last column. HOwever the click arrives at the output to the loudspeakers of the MOXF8.

So it seems to work despite there is no "CLick" in the Audio connections. It already worked a week ago when I was experimenting with midi.

As said I am following the guidelines to learn and not miss important basic stuff.

Attached files

Posted : 27/09/2018 7:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us