Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MOXF8 - Assignable Foot Switch and Sustain Pedal in Performance Mode?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,
I'm starting to think that I am missing something here.
I wish to set a simple layered performance using two voices: Piano (assigned to Part 1) and Strings (Assigned to part 2). In permformance mode, I want to set the Strings voice to only respond to the Assignable Foot Switch (which in Utilities I have assigned it to Midi CC 66 .. sostenuto) and not the sustain pedal. I only want the piano voice to respond to the sustain pedal and not the assignable footswitch. I am thinking this should be straight forward.

When I head into performance mode, weird things happen. In performance edit mode I head into the Receive Switch menu and deselect/select the Footswitch and Sustain for Parts 1 and 2 as per the configuration I am chasing. Somehow... and I don't know what is going on, .. but no matter what, the sostenuto function is active on the assignable footswitch (even though 'FS' is deselected) whenever the sustain is selected on. The sostenuto is not active on the assignable footswitch when I deselect the sustain. The status of 'FS' seems to make no difference.
This is the same with all parts. To me it seems that selecting the Sustain turns on the sostenuto control and allows the assignable foot switch to work regardless of the 'FS' selection.
I'm not not winning here... Is there something fundamentally wrong with what I am doing??
Please feel free to clip me over the ear if this is a dumb question and I haven't studied the manual enougth. I have only just bought the moxf8 and trying to swap over from a S90XS. Trying to set up a number of performances for a major festival this coming Easter. The Moxf8 is more compact on stage and I like the idea of composing patterns and songs etc..
Much appreciate if anyone can assist.

Posted : 17/03/2018 11:14 am
Topic starter

HELP !!
Has anyone used the assignable footswitch in performance mode? .. and could deselect it 'off' on selected parts? eg; I only want it to function on part 1. Parts 2,3,4 I don't want it to have any effect. I've followed the manual and I just can't get it to function as described.

Posted : 28/03/2018 9:28 am
Bad Mister

I'm starting to think that I am missing something here.
I wish to set a simple layered performance using two voices: Piano (assigned to Part 1) and Strings (Assigned to part 2). In permformance mode, I want to set the Strings voice to only respond to the Assignable Foot Switch (which in Utilities I have assigned it to Midi CC 66 .. sostenuto) and not the sustain pedal. I only want the piano voice to respond to the sustain pedal and not the assignable footswitch. I am thinking this should be straight forward.

This is not straight forward at all. Both cc64 and cc66 are messages treated by MIDI as “Hold” messages (Hold1 and Hold2). If you disable Sustain (SUS) for a Part by turning its RECEIVE SWITCH = Off, both Sustain and Sostenuto behaviors are defeated. They are treated together.

In a similar fashion to Volume and Expression (cc07 and cc11) which are treated by MIDI as “output level” messages. They too, are treated together.

Add to this that selecting a cc (Control Change) number that has a *dedicated function* is problematical when there is a separate option to defeat that control specifically. For example, if you assign FC1 to Expression (the default) you cannot and do not prevent a Part from responding to Expression by setting the FC1 RECEIVE SWITCH = Off. That will not work... there is a specific entry to prevent VOL/EXP. This allows the FC1 to still function doing other things.

So setting the Part to ignore FC1 is not sufficient to block it from responding to the Expression message. If you don’t want the Expression function it would be wise to program another cc number (one without a dedicated function). However, if you were to go into the CTRL SET of a Voice (in VOICE mode) and assign “AEG-Attack” to FC1... when you placed this VOICE in a Performance, defeating/activating FC1 will stop and activate the pedal from adjusting the AEG-Attack, but will not affect the role of the FC 1 as Expression. Expression is a dedicated function.

Conversely you could deactivate the Receive Switch for VOL/EXP without defeating the FC1 entirely.

If you set the Assignable FS to a cc number that does not have a dedicated function, for example, cc90, you could within a VOICE (CTRL Set) assign this to any function you want to jump to On(127) when pressed and return to Off(0) when released. For example, MONO/POLY... the FS would swap polyphonic play with mono lead by FS. Setting the Receive Switch Off simply deactivates this.

If you set the Assignable FS to cc66 (Sostenuto) you activate the special HOLD2 (Sustain) function for this controller, if you program a Voice to do something with FS say, “PCH-Crs” (Pitch-Coarse tune) you will get both sostenuto behavior and Pitch when you engage the FS. The sustain function (sostenuto) can be defeated in a Performance by setting the SUS “RECEIVE SWITCH” = Off. Independently the FS can be activated/deactivated - this will only deactivate the Pitch-Coarse behavior.

You cannot have separate sustain and sostenuto behavior as you are trying to do.

Posted : 28/03/2018 12:48 pm
Topic starter

Thank you Mr 'Bad Mister' for clarifying that for me. I really appreciate you spending the time to provide me with a detailed response.
Cheers
Stephen

Posted : 02/04/2018 7:40 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us