Notifications
Clear all

Moxf/cubase 8.5 Pro Clock sync issues.

9 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi,

I moved over to a new computer and can't for the life of me get the Cubase sequence clock to act as Master to the Slave Moxf. 🙁 It is diabolically set to "offline."

I have installed the latest Yamaha and Steinberg drivers and remote tools/extension and can record music just fine. I have followed the usually very helpful guides here such as Basic Recording and Midi Recording etc... on this (Yamaha Synth) website.

I have also followed the specific instructions listed here:
http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/music-production/synthesizers/mox_series/mox8/10267/8714/

But alas... no dice.

Can someone with some knowledge take a look at the attached images from Cubase and see if it's obvious what I'm doing wrong?

NOTE: I did notice something I was not able to do: When viewing the VST Connections, somewhere it mentioned that I should click the "click" icon next to the output channels to que the "click" track but I am not able to do that, don't know if it's relevant or not.

Please see attached images and any help on what I am missing would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Aaron

Attached files

Posted : 03/01/2017 10:52 pm
Bad Mister

Two things:
1) you are not going to be using MIDI TIMECODE, please uncheck the options for MIDI TIMECODE DESTINATIONS... leave them blank.
Leave the MIDI CLOCK OUT DESTINATION active. You are going to be using standard MIDI CLOCK.

2) In order to hear the Cubase CLICK, you must raise the DAW LEVEL slider next to the main Volume slider. Audio returning from the DAW all travels through this level control, including the Cubase click.

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:30 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister, I unchecked the Destinations but it didn't change anything. I can hear the click just fine, I thought that maybe because I was not able to physically click the "click" function on the Virutal Connections Output that it could be indicative of what my underlying issue is.

Still can't figure out why my Cubase Sequence says "offline" when I try to sync to the Mofx. =( Sniffle... sniffle.

Posted : 03/01/2017 11:40 pm
Bad Mister

It's a Cubase setting. Let me check...

Posted : 04/01/2017 1:26 am
Topic starter

Thanks... still no luck here. I even completely removed Cubase and all the stored preferences and factory reset the Mofx. AND Even removed the Steinberg USB drivers and remote software as well. and did a fresh install. I can't figure it out. I rely heavily on the Mofx arpeggiator engine and it's nearly killing me trying to sync to Groove agent haha... I'm used to being able to just hit a key and the arp and the cubase sequencer start simultaneously grr....

Posted : 04/01/2017 4:40 am
Topic starter

I'm not sure if this is related but under the VST's the Mofx it says the clock is "internal" and i have no way of changing it. The box below it that references external clock was tested with it checked and unchecked and changed nothing. But the actual MOFX is certainly externally clocked/ local control on etc. and MIDI set to USB

Attached files

Posted : 04/01/2017 4:52 am
Bad Mister

Please resist the urge to uninstall and reinstall the software, symptoms of installation problem have not surfaced at all. While it makes you feel like it is somehow the software's fault, nothing here indicates this is the case. Most definitely, it is a setting you have made. It does Not appear to be an installation issue.

Please undo the EXTERNALLY CLOCKED Option, it is not necessary. Why did you seek to use this?
If you want the MOXF sequencer to stop/start and run in sync with Cubase, you make the clock Sync settings for the MOXF in the MOXF. UTILITY > [F6] MIDI > [SF3] SYNC > set MIDI SYNC = "auto" and Sequencer Control = "in"

On the Cubase TRANSPORT, between the TEMPO 120.0 and the word "SHOW" please unmark the EXTERNAL CLOCKED icon; again, you are NOT using an external clock Rate to derive tempo for Cubase (you actually want Cubase to be master clock), so you should not be just making these selections (particularly if you don't know what they do!) FYI: this allows Cubase to derive clock when multiple sample rates are being used and you just want to record in spite of an obvious sample rate mismatch... NOT WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!
It also takes Cubase's own clock OFFLINE. Unmarked this icon and OFFLINE will disappear, Cubase will be the master clock and run on its internal settings.

That should do it.

Posted : 04/01/2017 11:57 am
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister. Thank you for your response! I did what you suggested. But it's still not working. What I am trying to do is cue the Sequencer on Cubase to auto-start the Cubase Sequencer when I key an arppegio on the MOFX.

So essentially, I hit the Record button on the Cubase Sequencer. It waits until I hit a key on a Performance/voice on the MOFX and recording starts and the tempo of the Performance/voice is auto adjusted to the tempo set on Cubase.

Did I explain clearly this time?

Thank you for your time!

Aaron

Posted : 04/01/2017 1:57 pm
Bad Mister

You've explained fine. But that is not how clock works in this instance. You can have the MOXF set to follow Sync from Cubase, you can have Cubase count you in, but just like playing in a band, it is your responsibility to come in at the musically apprporiate time.

There is no Key-On Start via MIDI function, as far as I know.

Posted : 11/01/2017 5:08 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us