Clear all

MX61 versus MOFX6

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
17.4 K Views
Member Admin
Topic starter

Hi. Im trying to decide between a MX61 and a MOFX6. There is quite a price difference. What is the big difference between the two? I am just looking for studio use. Can i use the MX61 with DAW software as effectively as a MOFX? Do they have the same sounds or is one more powerful than the other? Thanks.

Posted : 06/03/2016 1:33 pm
Bad Mister

david wrote:

Hi. Im trying to decide between a MX61 and a MOFX6. There is quite a price difference. What is the big difference between the two? I am just looking for studio use. Can i use the MX61 with DAW software as effectively as a MOFX? Do they have the same sounds or is one more powerful than the other? Thanks.

Both the MX61 and MOXF6 (not MOFX6) are 61 keys.
You can read the specifications for yourself. Yamaha Synthesizers

The MOXF series is a light version of the Motif XF... Featuring the same 3977 Waveforms, and Voice/Performance/Song/Pattern functions. There is file compatibility with the Motif XF-series. It features XA Control (expanded articulation) and actually has more than 100 additional arpeggios. It feature Flash Board expansion, allowing new Waveform to be loaded and therefore is able to load new source material for custom libraries.

The MOXF is a Motif XF for all intents and purposes with half the weight, half the $$$. It is the best selling, best bang-for-the-buck synth on the market and has been best selling 'workstation/music production' synth since its release.

The MX is the 10 pound wonder that features a "best of" Motif sound set.
It does not have as in depth editing on board, nor does it feature a sequencer. It does not have the sophisticated XA CONTROL. Designed for the person wanting the sound of the Motif series, but on a budget. It is like a co-processor for a laptop or computer, where a no-compromise bread and butter sound set is required for performing or sequencing on DAW.

Posted : 06/03/2016 5:45 pm

I initially purchased a MX61 as an introductory synth after 20 years of break and I was satisfied for almost 1 year .
After that year, I had explored everything on it and I had to move on.
And then I got my MOXF6 which after 1 year of usage I think I am still in the beginning.

MOXF6 price is about 70% higher than MX61 price. The sound quality is not so dramatically different (maybe you won't hear a difference at all). But when it comes to features and expandability , then the difference is HUGE. If you want to go for serious usage and you can afford the extra money, then go for the MOXF with closed eyes.

Posted : 07/03/2016 8:40 am
Member Admin
Topic starter

Thank you both for your reply. I purchased the MOFX6 yesterday. I have been watching plenty of YouTube vidoes and user reviews on the inner workings this instrument. Do you know of any other resources that a) will give me a general overview of how the instruments works and b) more detailed tutorials to understand ASSIGNABLE FUNCTION and XA settings? Thanks again.

Posted : 13/03/2016 12:53 pm
 Vito

I had an MX61...great little machine for sure, but limited. The MOXF6 I recently purchased blows it away! wow! Endless configurations and only limited to the users ability!

Posted : 01/11/2018 8:34 pm
Bad Mister

In general, as you go up the product line (in price) expect the feature set to improve... true in most things, definitely true in Synthesizers.

Posted : 02/11/2018 3:55 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us