Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

My Song won't record and Arp has gone.

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have store two performances in the same SONG according to this guide. http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/sy-moxf/moxf8/10719/8987/ ENcounter these issues when trying to record a song.

1) However I need to still know which of the boxes I need to tick when copying. I don’t know if the reverb (must be the system effect) or the insertion effects is where the desired effect origins. I don’t know which other boxes are necessary. If I tick them all then will it affect other parts as well? From my reading it seems the reverb and chorus (system effects) do affect all parts.

2) WHen I click SOng (+select a song with the big data Knob)-Seq Transport-Rec-Play (all physical buttons) then despite I just have set it to replace, it simply plays back though the REc and Play button are both lighted.

3) WHen I Try to record the arpeggio of the drums do not work, and the drums are played as a voice instead. I thought it might have something with the settings/parameters carried over when copying the second performance. Which parameters might have become changed and which should I avoid copying along with the performance? THe same performance had the first part being a drum arpeggio as well (part/voice 5). Like the first performance (part/voice 1) MIght the prob be that some effects (though arpeggio is not an effect, are not stying since there are too many amongst the two performances?

4) I tried to delete the tracks: I then choose SOng-Mixing then Track-Clear track- Check part 1-4 one at the time and erease the tracks. Ok now my mixing settings were deleted as well.

I thought I did not need to clear the tracks to make another recording. Is there not a better way not affecting all the parameters and the voices, which I happened to delete as well.
I thought REPLACE would spare me of such trouble.

Posted : 13/10/2018 3:45 pm
Bad Mister

I have store two performances in the same SONG according to this guide. http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/musical-instruments/keyboards/synthesizers/sy-moxf/moxf8/10719/8987/ ENcounter these issues when trying to record a song.

That guide instructs on how to copy a Performance to a Mix... it does NOT concern itself with copying a second one. Your mistake was in thinking that you could simply copy another without consequences. There are some limits that must be considered when combining two Performances

The article does not outline what would happen when you attempt to copy a second Performance. But you must consider and have a firm understanding of how the Effect processing gets allocated, and which Arpeggiators are active. You can have 8 Parts recalling Insertion Effects, you can only have one set of System Effects, and you’re limited to four simultaneous Arpeggios.

Effects
_ Insertion Effects - each Voice in Voice Mode has a Dual Insertion Effect block of its own. When you combine Voices into the Parts of a Performance they each bring along their Dual Insertion Effects.
_ System Effects - these apply as overall Effects. Each program can send a certain amount of its signal into these Effects and the signal is returned to the stereo output. Like the Aux Sends on a mixer, every channel can be sent to the System Effects or not. These feed the Reverb chamber and the Chorus processor (time delay Effects).

When you combine Voices into Parts of a Performance, they each bring along their Dual Insertion Effects, but they now must share the same System Effect. This can be understood because to create the illusion that all the instruments are in the same room, you feed their signals into the same Reverb - the Reverb’s job is to recreate the room acoustics.

When you move a Performance to a mix, likewise, the Insertion Effects are brought along, but the System Effects are not. All of the Parts will share the same System Effect Setup. What was assigned before can only be from one or the other of your two Performances. When you copy, you can copy the REV/CHO of one or the other. There cannot be two sets of System Effects - they will be stripped off.

A maximum of eight MOXF Parts can recall their Dual Insertion Effects.

Arpeggio
A maximum of four Parts can have their Arpeggiators active at any one time.

That rule will apply always.

1) However I need to still know which of the boxes I need to tick when copying. I don’t know if the reverb (must be the system effect) or the insertion effects is where the desired effect origins. I don’t know which other boxes are necessary. If I tick them all then will it affect other parts as well? From my reading it seems the reverb and chorus (system effects) do affect all parts.

Do not just combine Performances or Parts of Performances without knowing where the desired effect is coming from. It’s equivalent of: you shouldn’t just drink the punch without knowing what the ingredients are - particularly if you are allergic to one of them. Its worth taking the time to explore and find out.

Because you have a finite number of resource that can used simultaneously, you are going to want to *know* for sure what is the most important things to copy... this can only be decided by you.

Study each Performance, in Performance Mode. Here’s how: Study the System Effects, in particular... do they contribute something critical to what you like about this Performance? Bypass them. Play the Performance without the System Effects. Does something so radically change that it was critical to the “personality” of the program. If no, then don’t copy the System Effects from this Performance.

If yes, then find out what it is... next, repeat the exercise with the other Performance. Does the System Effect there contribute a critical component? Figure out what it is... then you’ll be better prepared to decide what you want to happen when you combine them.

3) WHen I Try to record the arpeggio of the drums do not work, and the drums are played as a voice instead. I thought it might have something with the settings/parameters carried over when copying the second performance. Which parameters might have become changed and which should I avoid copying along with the performance? THe same performance had the first part being a drum arpeggio as well (part/voice 5). Like the first performance (part/voice 1) MIght the prob be that some effects (though arpeggio is not an effect, are not stying since there are too many amongst the two performances?

Recording Arpeggios is a specific function - separate and different from recording when you play the keys. When recording arpeggios you are not recording what YOU play on the keyboard, you are recording what the Arpeggio phrase is outputting.

This this likely why you are not getting the results you expect.
Your post simply does not provide enough information about what you are doing for me to help with your expectations. The normal way to record multiple Parts to the Sequencer simultaneously is to put your Parts in a Performance (the maximum number of Parts in a Performance is four) these can be recorded, including the Drum Arpeggios, directly to either a Song or Pattern.

The limit is four Parts. Your first question indicates you are combine Performances in a MIXING in an attempt to have more than four by putting them in a SONG/PATTERN MIXING setup. That’s fine but you will not be able to successfully record multiple Parts from MIXING mode. It simply will not.

Sorry, but it don’t work like that.

Use Direct Performance Record. It is designed for recording multiple Parts assembled in (one) four Part Performance to the Sequencer. On the first pass target Tracks 1-4.

4) I tried to delete the tracks: I then choose SOng-Mixing then Track-Clear track- Check part 1-4 one at the time and erease the tracks. Ok now my mixing settings were deleted as well.

You can Erase just the Sequence data without removing your Mixing Setup by using the appropriate JOB.

When on the “Clear Track” screen you have three option that you can select. If you only want to clear the “Seq Events” then that should be the only option marked.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 13/10/2018 4:48 pm
Topic starter

Yes thanks a lot. Surely removes some doubt.

I understand Direct Performance Recording as choosing a performance then Seq Transport -Rec - Play then playing and the four parts will sound if not muted?

Actually this is how I got the 4 first parts of the performance into a song, since I did not know how to Copy a performance yet. The second performance i did copy though. Thats when the trouble began.

The limit is four Parts. Your first question indicates you are combine Performances in a MIXING in an attempt to have more than four by putting them in a SONG/PATTERN MIXING setup. That’s fine but you will not be able to successfully record multiple Parts from MIXING mode. It simply will not.

Yes, I understand that I can have 16 parts in the Song Mix but play maimum 4 at one time. Then mute those and precede to the other parts using DUBBING (handy as a stage setup if altering between many parts. Do I get this right?

Ok so before I copy anything I experiment with the voices in a performance and only copy what changes the voice in its original form?

I have wondered if the Voices also have effects? Voices are different or similar to the Category select voices?
I mean, is it only voices in a performance that have been altered eg been added effects?

Seems to me that copying one performance then adding single voices OR adding each voice separately are preferred methods over copying several performances that might result in loosing effects or overuling some?

Posted : 15/10/2018 12:30 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us