Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Need Help With User Patches in Song/Pattern Mode!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I can't get user voice settings to work in song/pattern creation. I've created some very simple edits to a few voices that do not go beyond basic changes to envelopes and filters. I haven't made any effects changes.

In normal voice mode all plays well.., but when I select that same edited sound in song or pattern mode.., none of the envelope or filter adjustments carry over. The patch reverts back to default.., even though the patch name displayed shows the user patch name I saved.

I understand the differences in sounds for recording as they relate to system and insert effects when recording, but I'm perplexed as to why basic envelope and filter edits aren't carrying over.

Thx

Posted : 04/03/2017 5:59 pm
Bad Mister

The act of placing a VOICE in a SONG MIXING "Part" is very much like a musician joining a band and plugging into the band's mixer.
This means some of the parameters are either stripped off or reset to the mixer's defaults.

If you think of VOICE mode as an individual musician sitting at home with their instrument, then think of MIXING as the musician plugged into the mixer. At home you may turn all the way up to 127, but when you join the band the mixer channel is set to 100. At home you are the center of all music, in the mixer you might be panned left. The EQ you use at home is zeroed out when you plug into the mixer. After all, EQ is used to make your sound fit into the band.

This same kind of thing holds true for Voice mode versus Mixing mode. Things like an Arpeggio phrase you assign in Voice mode is not really a part of that Voice, it is simply associated with it temporarily. It is not automatically brought along to Mixing mode. There are "quick access" parameters that are added or subtracted to the stored values... these are your Knob parameters - they are OFFSETS to the actually stored values: things like ATTACK, DECAY, SUSTAIN, RELEASE, CUTOFF, RESONANCE etc, these are simply adding or subtracting values to the 8 Elements (which each have their own Amplitude Envelopes and each have their own Filters)... these are not automatically brought along to the Mixing.

You must select that they are copied to the MIXING.

If you wish to COPY these "quick access" offsets to your Mixing, simply activate the "Parameter with Voice" function, which copies these associated and quick access offsets to the MIXING setup. You activate it, then you select the Voice for the Part...

Learn about how this works here:

MOXF: Parameter with Voice

When you EDIT a Voice, you must STORE it to a USER Bank location ...make sure you select the User Voice for the MIXING Part.

Posted : 04/03/2017 6:52 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Mr. Clendenin!!!

Posted : 04/03/2017 8:31 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us