Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

no sound

9 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

well i just bought the moxf8 i connected it to my laptop i installed all the programs it shows real time keys in editor but i cant hear nothing please help hopefully its not a sound card issue i also installed cubase 9.5 help

Posted : 11/08/2018 11:02 pm
Bad Mister

We can guarantee you it is not “soundcard issue”, when you properly connect the MOXF8 to your computer, the MOXF8, literally, becomes the soundcard for your computer.

You must download and install the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” for your particular computer type and operating system.
Attention to details is high recommended. Version numbers and matching software with operating systems is critical.

So saying you downloaded “all the programs” is meaningless and will not help us, help you get up and running.

We specialize in just that, but what we need from you is the computer type and operating system you are using.
We are going to guess when you refer to “the Editor” that perhaps you mean the “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST” (since you mention the “keys”... that’s a clue to the Editor ...

It is likely you have not completed the audio routing portion. The “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” handles both MIDI communication to and from the computer, and audio to and from the computer and from the MOXF8 and your speaker connected to the Main L&R Outputs on the back panel of the MOXF.

In the Editor go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > here you must select the Audio Returns... the MOXF8 can be setup as a single Stereo system (2CH) or a dual Stereo system (4CH). Here you select USB 1/2 and USB 3/4 as the way the computer returns audio to the MOXF ... Remember it’s your Audio Interface.

Audio return to the MOXF8 and travels through the DAW LEVEL control located next to your Main Volume slider. Make sure you have it raised when listening to audio returning from the computer.

If you are still stuck, please provide the information concerning what you have installed, what type of computer, your operating system, tell us how your MOXF is connected to your speakers, etc., etc.

We can point you to a basic setup guide for the Editor VST:
MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor VST

Posted : 11/08/2018 11:25 pm
Topic starter

We can guarantee you it is not “soundcard issue”, when you properly connect the MOXF8 to your computer, the MOXF8, literally, becomes the soundcard for your computer.

You must download and install the “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” for your particular computer type and operating system.
Attention to details is high recommended. Version numbers and matching software with operating systems is critical.

So saying you downloaded “all the programs” is meaningless and will not help us, help you get up and running.

We specialize in just that, but what we need from you is the computer type and operating system you are using.
We are going to guess when you refer to “the Editor” that perhaps you mean the “Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST” (since you mention the “keys”... that’s a clue to the Editor ...

It is likely you have not completed the audio routing portion. The “Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver” handles both MIDI communication to and from the computer, and audio to and from the computer and from the MOXF8 and your speaker connected to the Main L&R Outputs on the back panel of the MOXF.

In the Editor go to FILE > VSTi SETUP > here you must select the Audio Returns... the MOXF8 can be setup as a single Stereo system (2CH) or a dual Stereo system (4CH). Here you select USB 1/2 and USB 3/4 as the way the computer returns audio to the MOXF ... Remember it’s your Audio Interface.

Audio return to the MOXF8 and travels through the DAW LEVEL control located next to your Main Volume slider. Make sure you have it raised when listening to audio returning from the computer.

If you are still stuck, please provide the information concerning what you have installed, what type of computer, your operating system, tell us how your MOXF is connected to your speakers, etc., etc.

We can point you to a basic setup guide for the Editor VST:
MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor VST

its a compaq presario win 7 and i have the usb cable connected heres a pic of the editor im trying to do what you said

Posted : 11/08/2018 11:57 pm
Topic starter

do i have all the connections aslo?

https://ibb.co/dujM5p

Posted : 12/08/2018 1:33 am
Bad Mister

its a compaq presario win 7 and i have the usb cable connected heres a pic of the editor im trying to do what you said

I said a lot of things... trying to determine what you want to accomplish. Basically there are two kinds of setups: (pick one):

Are you trying to use it with Cubase?
Are you trying to use it alone?

Using it with Cubase you want to to follow the setup for VST
Using it alone you want to launch it as a Standalone.

Your screenshot of the Setup screen shows that you have launched the program as a Standalone. In which case, you are not using it with Cubase, is that correct? Is that what you want to do?

I thought you wanted to use Cubase xx 9.5 (I did mention versions are important). “Cubase AI 9.5” or “Cubase Pro 9.5” are examples of Cubase with full name of the version of Cubase inserted..

If using the Editor with Cubase AI (that comes with it), you should launch Cubase AI first.

• Go to STUDIO > VST INSTRUMENTS > on the “RACK” side of the screen that opens, select “External” > “MOXF6/MOXF8 VST” (See attached screenshot)
  • Click on MOXF6/MOXF8 VST to select it!

You will be asked if you want to create the first MIDI track for this plugin VST.
The Editor program will open, Cubase will create a “VST INSTRUMENTS” Folder, containing a Sub Folder named “MOXF6/MOXF8 VST”. This Sub Folder contains an Automation Lane, and a "virtual" Audio Lane, plus the first MIDI Track assigned to the “MOXF6/MOXF8 VST...Midi In”
You will create a new MIDI Track for each PART you wish to record... Here's how: Go to PROJECT > ADD TRACK > MIDI...

The Automation Lane (contains "R" Read/ and "W" Write) and is used to record mix movements, etc.
The Audio Lane is where the MOXF will return audio to Cubase... You will trigger the MOXF via MIDI, the MIDI travels to the Cubase MIDI Track, which will echo it back to the MOXF tone generator, which then creates the Audio which will arrive here at this Audio Lane... you will see a stereo meter (2 bars) indicating L/R audio coming from the MOXF.
The MIDI Track must be active (highlighted) for the MIDI events from the MOXF to travel to this track and then echoed back to the MOXF hardware. Only when you select a MIDI Track will you complete the circuit and hear sound. The MIDI indicator (meter) is a single bar - MIDI is just data, not sound. So seeing the MIDI indicator move on the MIDI track and the keyboard of the Editor respond, means you have MIDI routed correctly, but do not have the signal setup for AUDIO (remember you cannot HEAR MIDI)...

do i have all the connections aslo?

You don’t show “all the connections” in your second picture... you need to connect the MAIN L&R Outputs of the MOXF to your monitor speakers/sound system. (Those connections carry audio to your speakers) or plug headphones into Phones jack to hear the MOXF. (The computer’s soundcard and sound system are NOT USED!!!) The MOXF8 is now the computer soundcard.

If you are not using Cubase, the setup is slightly different...

In either case, you need to connect the audio Outputs of the MOXF to your sound system.

Attached files

Posted : 12/08/2018 12:15 pm
Topic starter

thnx man i think im just going to buy some phones or speaker and do standalone sounds more easier

Posted : 13/08/2018 4:32 am
Bad Mister

It is a common misconception that music software uses the built-in computer soundcard. Generally, It does not. When using music software that records, generally, you need a low latency driver that will route the audio signal to an external audio interface (which takes over the duties of the computer’s soundcard).

Simply put, the soundcard’s responsibility is to take incoming audio and route it to audio tracks of the software, and to take audio generated by the computer or by audio tracks, and route that signal to an external sound system.

Consumer versus Musician (“pro”) - use of the computer:
Playing back audio is the function most of computer users take advantage of... it is not a high pressure situation to playback audio. It is when musicians attempt to Record audio, then Overdub Record Audio that the heavy CPU issues arrive. Recording is fairly easy because you can listen to yourself “live”... you are unaware of the time it takes for the computer to timestamp, capture, and then playback the audio. However, when you attempt to Overdub Record, that is both playback existing audio tracks while simultaneously adding new audio tracks, this is when the built-in audio systems that come with even the most expensive computers, breaks down.

This gap of time it takes the computer to receive-process-and return audio is called the latency. Why this is important to musicians and not the regular consumer can be summed up this way;

No one really cares if it takes 370ms between the time you hit the spacebar and the start of audio playback of a song file.
However, as a musician pressing a key on the keyboard add having to wait even 20ms will throw your playing completely off. By the time the latency reaches 30ms you can’t play at all... you can only laugh!

This is why there is an entire cottage industry of “pro” (versus “consumer”) level audio interfaces.

Besides the sound systems provided even with expensive computers are typically “cute” but not for serious listening. Get down to your local music store and ask about home studio gear.

Dedicated Audio interfaces come in various numbers of inputs to meet a wide variety of situations. Basically, consider how many inputs you’ll need simultaneously... if you are using just a keyboard (2-in) would be fine, if you plan on recording yourself and others simultaneously, let that determine the number of inputs you get.

These external audio interfaces connect to an external sound system (bypassing completely the computer’s own sound system). Get yourself a pair of high quality studio Monitors. Visit your local music store, they probably carry an array of Monitor Speakers designed specifically for the kind of critical listening you’ll need to record.

If DAW recording to Cubase is not your priority now, it maybe in the future. Best to know about what you will need. If sound design and synth editing is your goal, a good set of headphones and/or a good pair of Monitor Speakers will serve you both now, and whenever you're ready to get into Recording.

But know that you do not need to purchase an external audio interface, because the MOXF has a high quality interface already built-in. It even lets you record an external audio source simultaneous to recording the synth itself (so with a microphone), you can record yourself playing and singing to discreet audio tracks. Or you can record yourself and a friend playing guitar to separate audio tracks, etc., etc.

Take a look at the following:
Music Production Studio Monitors
Studio Headphones
Steinberg Audio Interfaces

Posted : 13/08/2018 12:51 pm

Good evening. I have the same problem with this software. I have a Yamaha Moxf8 Keyboard. I connected it to the computer using a Midi cable. Using the MOXF6/MOXF8 VST I have no sound from the computer (when I use the Halion vst, with the same settings, I have the sound instead). The cubase find the midi signal as I can see in the bar, but the only way to have the sound is to use the main volume on the keyboard (with the Halion i put the Main Volume to zero and I use the Daw Volume and everything works good). What could be the problem? thank you

Posted : 15/03/2019 6:10 pm
Bad Mister

Sebastiano,
Your issue is not the same, or the solution would be the same.

All sound will come out of the MOXF. It is the “soundcard” when you connect the MOXF directly to the computer with a USB cable.
The speaker system should be connected to the MOXF’s Main L/R Outputs. The MOXF Main Volume Slider will be total Volume for the entire System. The DAW LEVEL is always the audio coming from the computer. So HALion will always feed into the DAW LEVEL Slider.

Posted : 15/03/2019 7:35 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us