Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

No sound when setting note limits in performance mode

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi. I have already used performance mode a lot with my moxf (and before with my mox). This is the first time I have this problem. I created a performance and, after setting note limits on a part,..no sound at all!
I reinitialized the performance (job/init) and...the same problem. I have tried two methods to set the limits; through performance/voice then sf4 and sf5 and through edit/parts/limit.
Can you help me?
Thank you.

Posted : 09/02/2016 7:28 pm
Bad Mister

I created a performance and, after setting note limits on a part,..no sound at all!

Hi Weyers, Welcome to Yamaha Synth!

There can several reasons why you are getting no sound from your PERFORMANCE Parts. You'll need to provide a bit more information about what you are doing for us to nail down your specific issue.

When assembling a Performance you can assign control over a PART to yourself directly via the keys, or it can be assigned to sound only in response of an arpeggio. ARP PLAY ONLY. It is possible to inherit parameter settings...

Give us an example of what you are doing. Are arpeggiators involved? What Voices are you assigning? Are you using Performance Creator?

Posted : 09/02/2016 8:08 pm
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister. Thank you for your answer.

I am not using arpeggiators. I created a performance with two parts;
part1 : PRE4 120 Simple Saw Brass on C-2 - E2
part2 : PRE4 037 PWM strings on C3 - G8

I tried to create the performance with performance creator and also directly from an initialized performance and selection of voices from category search.
The result is the same.

Things that have changed just before this problem:
I installed a yamaha FL1024M Flash Memory Expansion Module
I installed the library "Disco Strings" from "Keyboard Waves".There is something I did wrong but I don't know if this can have an impact. The library is made of 8 voices in User1, A01 to A08. I first installed User3 voicebank then realized it was not the good one.

Posted : 10/02/2016 7:47 pm
Bad Mister

I am not using arpeggiators. I created a performance with two parts;
part1 : PRE4 120 Simple Saw Brass on C-2 - E2
part2 : PRE4 037 PWM strings on C3 - G8

It is unclear exactly what you are reporting as the problem. We are going to assume all else is fine and working in your MOXF, and only when you attempt to Note Limit this Performance you get no sound.

I will recount the following steps, please indicate where your instrument deviates in any way from what is written.
The above is not a "Split" as defined by the Performance Creator and cannot be created using it. What you have outlined is a three way division, which is defined differently in the synth. Here's what we mean

The Performance Creator allows the performer to quickly create a Split by defining one key to divide the keyboard into an Upper and Lower region. By defining a region from C-2 thru E2 for the Strings and C3 thru G8 to the Brass, you have defined a third region F2-B2 which is silent. In order to define three regions (even if silent) means you cannot use Performance Creator which defines a single upper/lower Split Point. You must initialize a Performance and use the NOTE LIMIT parameters.

Note Limit parameters can be used to define more than two regions, because each Part can be set as to its high and low note.

Press [PERFORM]
Press [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Make sure "ALL" is marked
Press [ENTER]
This will create a single Part Performance with the Full Concert Grand across all keys, verify that you can play the piano across all keys.

Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Part parameters
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF1] VOICE
Change Part 1 to PRE 4: 120 Simple Saw Brass _ you can use Category Search.
Press [CATEGORY SEARCH]
Use the Data DIAL to select Brass
Cursor down set SubCategory Synth
Press [ENTER]
Find your Voice
Press [ENTER]

Move the cursor to Part 2
Set the PART Switch at the top to ON activating this Part
Change the PART 2 Voice to PWM Strings, Again you use Category Search this time Strings>Synth
Find PWM Strings
Press [ENTER]

Press [SF3] LIMIT
Set Part 1 to C-2 thru E2
Set Part 2 to C3 thru G8

PERFORMANCE CREATOR
Press [VOICE]
Select the Voice Preset 4: 037 PWM Strings
Play the keyboard, all notes make sound.

Press [SPLIT]
The MOXF changes to [PERFORM] mode, the [PERFORMANCE CONTROL] function is activated, PART SELECT button indicates you are selecting a Voice for Part 2, the PART MUTE buttons indicate Voices are assigned to Parts 1 and 2
NOTICE: You are offered a single Split Point for the division of the Split Point; you are also allowed to flipflop upper with lower!

In the screen Category Search is active, change the Category using the DATA DIAL to Strings
Cursor down once to highlight the SubCategory
Again using the DATA DIAL select "Synth"
Press [ENTER]
Find your Voice on the List and press [ENTER]

Perhaps the note region you defined was a typo, but recognize SPLIT is defined as one key that divides upper from lower, period. And the Split function cannot be used for defining additional regions, for that you must used the NOTE Limits parameters.

Let us know where (at which step) your instrument's response is different.

Posted : 10/02/2016 9:14 pm
Topic starter

Bad mister, Thank you very much for your help.
Your explanations are very clear and complete!

I have followed the steps to create a performance (once with performance creator and once directly job init + note limits). I's OK in both cases.
I am not sure what I have done unwell before but probably, the creation of a "silent" region was the reason.
My problem is resolved

Have a nice day.

Posted : 11/02/2016 7:49 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us