Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Noob question regarding arpeggios on the MOXF6..

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

(Warning - guitarist trying to learn keyboards here. Bought the MOXF6 because I wanted to write non-guitar-based music (think Tangerine Dream). Hilarity ensues..)

So one of the first things I did was double-check that everything pre-shipped in the User banks is a duplicate of a preset. And the second was to start creating some voices (I think I finally have a handle on the Filter and Amp stuff πŸ™‚ ), and even figured out on my own what was going on with VelocityLimit on the Pre1:A01 grand piano voice and why it has 8 elements.

But I was pounding my head against the wall why I wasn't able to attach an arpeggio to a voice (and I was still editing presets because I hadn't found Voice/Job/Init yet). And I finally gave up and started editing another voice, and it all Just Worked.

So - to be specific: If I'm looking at preset voice Pre5:H15 (Dim), I can just turn on 'Arp Edit' for Arp 1, select arpeggio 0001 (a fairly obvious building block for a 12-bar blues), and you can hear it have an effect (not much, but it's there)

I try the same thing with Pre5:H14 (5th Atmosphere), and although I can assign any arpeggio I want, only ones in type 'Cntrl' seem to do anything (and I had the misfortune of using this as a template, leading to much WTF? muttering on my part)

What am I missing on how that voice H14 is made that keeps other types of arps from working?

Posted : 23/03/2018 3:09 am
Bad Mister

Hi Valdis,
What you are missing is that there are different types of KEY MODES for different types of Arpeggios.
And that not all Arpeggios feature Note-on events. You will find that the Arp Type assigned to the β€œ5th Atmosphere” is in the β€œCTRL” type... this short for β€œcontroller”, meaning there are no Note-on events in the Arpeggio phrase, just Controller events (probably Expression cc11) which would give it a β€œgating” (rapidly alternating on/off) Effect, or Pan cc10, or PB, or Cutoff cc74, etc.

Please see this post from 2 days ago:
https://yamahasynth.com/forum/how-do-i-use-the-controler-arps#reply-29479

Here are two articles that can help understand the different Arpeggios Types and Key Modes:
Arpeggios Explored

Arpeggio Key Modes

Posted : 23/03/2018 12:29 pm
Topic starter

Ah.. I see where my confusion came from - for some reason, I thought the default settings for that were supplied by the arpeggio and not the voice (in other words, that the rest of the info in Arp Edit would be defaulted from the arp, to be changed if needed - so if I popped in arpeggio 1, it would set things up with reasonable defaults for that arpeggio). So I was looking all over the place in Voice Edit looking for the setting causing the problem, not realizing that the voice was providing some of the arp settings.....

(Actually, I have to complement Yamaha - if a total keyboard noob like me can have an instrument of MOXF complexity in my living room for a month and only hit two things that I couldn't figure out myself, it must be designed right. πŸ˜‰

Posted : 23/03/2018 3:14 pm
Share:

Β© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved. Β Β  Terms of UseΒ |Β Privacy PolicyΒ |Β Contact Us