Clear all

PAD SOUNDS

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Ian
Topic starter

Hi,

I was after some help on how I can manipulate the strings waveform sound to create a pad sound. I have been told you can lower the resonance, but it doesn't quite sound right (more muffled than anything). I'm quite new to this part of the MOXF8, is this possible? If so, what options would I manipulate?

Alternatively, was wandering if anyone know of any free light pad sounds.

I have added a URL with an example with sound I am trying to achieve.

Thank you in advance.

Posted : 29/03/2018 3:17 pm

You'll need to give us some more details - which "strings" waveform are you using? There's about fourty-leven of them on an MOXF - everything from orchestral to Oberheim.

If it's sounding "muffled", that's probably not resonance. You've probably got the cutoff set too low - turn that up to allow more treble through.

Can you point at a specific time in that video? I'm not hearing a lot of "pad" in there - a few places where there's an arpeggiated keyboard part for a few measures. Most of the song, if there's any pad in there, I'm not hearing it through the guitar/bass in the mix. What do *I* hear in there? (OK, so I'm primarily a guitarist, so unless it's a sound that I know can't be easily done on guitar, I'll blame the guitar 😉

3 guitars, two electric, other a piezo-miked acoustic. The acoustic is providing the obvious parts like the intro.

At 0:32, we hear a chord - that's the bass holding the bottom end, and electric guitar hitting a power chord (probably drop-D tuning), a bit of gain on the pre-amp to add crunch and overdrive, then fed through a compressor to give it sustain. At 1:01 to 1:03, the guitarist slowly opens up the gain a bit to make it ring out more.

0:38-0:58 or so there's a keyboard playing a repeated 4 note pattern, picked up by the lead guitar after the drop at 1:06 and repeated for most of the song.

During the end, around 4:30 in, there's a low drone sound, but a big chunk of that is a guitar just hitting a slack-tuned open string power chord and letting it ring out, with the volume/gain set *just* under feedback levels, so there's the Sustain From Hell. All the same, you can hear an open D string getting hit 3-4 times around 4:33 to 4:37 because the sustain is cutting out and the guitarist needs to give it a kick.

There's also a bit of a keyboard drone finally audible there - a quick check tells me that 'Pre6 A12' "Warm Backing Pad" is fairly close. Play with the cutoff up/down and see what your ears tell you.

Hope that helps..

Posted : 06/04/2018 3:48 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us