Clear all

Performance rec

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Hello,
during these days I'm going crazy over the looping feature of a Performance, both an original one created by myself and a factory one.
I need to loop the Performance that I've just recorded, but there is no way to do it 🙁
For instance, I rec a Performance made of 4 Measures, then I go to SF3- TR LOOP and I will decide to loop the Track number 1, or the number 4,
what happes is that after the 4th Measure playback nothing will be looped, even if the Measures counter continues there is no sound.
I've read the Reference and the Owner's manual and followed every step, but without any result.
I want to recording a Performance with an "x" number of measures and then loop what I've recorded, there is a way to do it?

Please help me,
Many thanks

Posted : 19/12/2015 6:41 pm
Bad Mister

Dariomasterzone wrote:

Hello,
during these days I'm going crazy over the looping feature of a Performance, both an original one created by myself and a factory one.
I need to loop the Performance that I've just recorded, but there is no way to do it 🙁
For instance, I rec a Performance made of 4 Measures, then I go to SF3- TR LOOP and I will decide to loop the Track number 1, or the number 4,
what happes is that after the 4th Measure playback nothing will be looped, even if the Measures counter continues there is no sound.
I've read the Reference and the Owner's manual and followed every step, but without any result.
I want to recording a Performance with an "x" number of measures and then loop what I've recorded, there is a way to do it?

Please help me,
Many thanks

There are several ways to do this.

Method 1:
The easiest is to record your PERFORMANCE to PATTERN mode (Pattern mode loops by default). If you are using Direct Performance Record you can simply target PATTERN mode and set the number of measures prior to recording.

Method 2:
The method you are attempting and not succeeding is to record to SONG mode, then set the TR LOOP.
Here's what you may have missed.

In order to have a SONG Track Loop you must do the following:
Step 1: On the main SONG screen set the Measure counter to the number of measures you wish to repeat (in your case set it to 004:1 This will instruct any track that you turn LOOP ON to repeat the first four Measures.
Step 2: Press [F3] TRACK > Press [SF3] TR LOOP
Step 3: Turn the word "off" to "on" and Press [ENTER] for each Track you wish to cycle the first four measures.

Done. Hope that helps.

Posted : 19/12/2015 9:10 pm
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Thanks for your reply,
I've tried it, the Method 1 woks fine 😉
Ok, now the Performance is looped but there is still a problem: it is not looped in real time, the MOXF needs to save it before to playback in loop,
Instead, in my case I'd need that during the live show, soon after recording the Performance it will have to be looped in real time without the interruption of the saving,
All the process that I've described above works only when I'm recording a 100% new empty Pattern, with the default Full Concert Grand voice,
in fact in this case soon after recording a 4 measures bar it will be looped immediately without saving and I will can rec the next track.
Unfortunately it doesn't happen the same thing when I do the same process with a factory Performance ( Fata Morgana in my case).
how could I achieve it ?

The Method 2 is still not working, even If I've followed what you described, I don't know what I'm missing, really

Thanks

Posted : 20/12/2015 3:03 pm
Bad Mister

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing, sorry.

Posted : 20/12/2015 5:57 pm

Dariomasterzone, if I understand correctly what you are trying to do is "real time live looping" where you'd have a real time recorder that you can switch from recording mode to play mode back and forth without interruption? Similar to what you can do with looper pedals?

The closest you can get with MOXF alone is what BadMister has recommended, where you use Pattern mode for recording a loop and playing it back (which requires you to stop the sequencer and press the Play button).

If you have a PC connected, you can do it live using software like Ableton live, Mainstage, etc. but I don't think it is possible with the MOXF directly. Or you could use a looper pedal... That would be a pretty cool feature but I think it is rare in workstations.

Posted : 20/12/2015 9:34 pm

Dariomasterzone, I just reread what you are trying to do... I think I found something that would help. If you'd like to record a performance in a pattern or song, there is another way to proceed that will automatically loop (as long as you have the right setups with loop enabled).

Instead of going into Performance mode and then using Direct Performance Record, you could simply copy the parameters of the Performance of your interest into a blank Pattern or Song into Mixing Mode. That way you are bringing the voices, arps, effects, etc. into the Pattern and once you hit Record the looping will take place automatically, without having to stop and save.

I just tried it and it works (as I think you intend to use it). I'd suggest you try it out...

Here is how:
MOX/MOXF: Copying a Performance into a Mix

Posted : 27/12/2015 12:54 am
Eminent Member
Topic starter

Sebastien, I've tried it,
ok, after I've made the steps suggested on this link : MOX/MOXF Copying a Performance into a Mix
now my favourite selected Performance is recored and looped in realtime,
but there are some workflow issues in the process to rec and loop sounds in realtime, yet. That is, after that the Performance has been looped, the Moxf is still in recording mode and the problem is that I can't do anything else until the recording process is active, I mean that I can't choose any new sound (and arps) and add it to the current live looping recording, it is possible only if I stop the sequencer, but it is not useful to me during a live looping, of course.
So, for instance, after recording the Performance, even I press the Category Search button it doesn't allow me to choose a new sound to add to the Performance.

Posted : 01/01/2016 12:31 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, wish I could help you - but your use of the terminology is so inconsistent.

You cannot add more than four PARTS to a PERFORMANCE. Period. That is all that PERFORMANCE mode allows

Once you copy the PARTS of a Performance to a PATTERN MIXING - it is no longer a "PERFORMANCE" - and you cannot record from here (as the linked COPY A PERFORMANCE INTO A MIX article states: NOT USING PERFORMANCE RECORD!!!!)

If you wish to COPY the four PARTS of a PERFORMANCE to a MIXING - and set each to its own Track so you can record you should use the TEMPLATE routine (Not the COPY routine).

Press [MIXING]
Press [F4] TEMPLATE
Press [SF2] PERFORM
Select the PERFORMANCE location and name you wish to use
This will place the four PARTS of that PERFORMANCE onto four PARTS of the current MIXING setup... but this time each will be on its OWN Midi Channel.

You will be able to work with them one-at-a-time.

Definitions
A Sequencer by definition is build to record one track at a time - in sequence - one after the other. The Performance mode feature of the MOXF - Direct PERFORMANCE Record is designed to route each of the four PARTS to four separate tracks. Then it copies the PERFORMANCE to four separate PARTS each assigned to a corresponding track. But all set to the same MIDI channel. For LIVE playing only (not recording).

You cannot "PERFORMANCE Record" while in PATTERN mode. Sorry, that is just not how it works.

You can record ONE Track at a time when you are in PATTERN mode. And only ONE Track at a time.

It is not at all clear what exactly it is you are trying to do. Perhaps you can explain it better, please!
It is not at all clear why you think you need to RECORD - the arps assigned to the PARTS will play the parts when you trigger them...
It is not at all clear what it is you are trying to do...

There is a way to call up new sounds on new Parts while in RECORD - whether it will work for you depends on what exactly you are trying to do. Please explain better... thanks!

Posted : 01/01/2016 3:57 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us