Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

PLEASE HELP ME: I'VE CREATED A FRANKENSTEIN S700 PIANO SOUND!

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I loaded all "Inspiration in a Flash" Contents. Although the bank 3, the one with the ethnic sounds, wasn't available (i read that this is due to the fact that the Moxf has 3 bank versus the 4 of the Motif). Everything seemed to be ok.

Then ,as i was advised, i installed one voice of the CP1 in a user's bank i've chosen.
I don't know why, when i tried to play the S700 piano sound, it sounded like a mess. It was like if other waveforms were there, instead of the piano ones. Sounded like a mix of a bass with bells, etc.

I know there is a "Learning curve". But i've never had such difficulties just to load sounds. I own a 1024 Yamaha memory flash. The only thing i want is to have the "Inspiration in a flash" contents (minus the ethnic sounds) and the 16 CP1 voices.
PS: I read that i should have in my USB drive the following files: INSPIR~1.X3A, INSPIR~2.X3A and INSPIR~3.X3A. But i have only two: InspirationInAFlash1.X3A and Inspire2.x0g (plus two pdf documents)

Thank you very much!

Posted : 04/03/2016 10:22 am
Bad Mister

Dealing with Samples and Waveforms is very much like learning to swim. You really want to take it a step at a time, wade in from the shallow end before you get in over your head.

You are running into issues because:
1) you are new to loading data to Flash (who isn't at first?) - you've never swam in these waters before
2) you are attempting to convert data originally made for a Motif XF (definitely at the deeper end of the pool)
3) you did not spend enough time learning the basics of the whole Flash Board / data selection process... Snorkel before you Scuba dive
4) it is complicated - no doubt - don't blame yourself too much. Hopefully we can help you through this.

That said, we recommend you get the "Inspiration in a Flash" data designed specifically for the MOXF (the keyboard you own) this way you do not have to deal with the conversion process of the MOXF having to interpret .X3A file data... The Inspiration data is available in .X6A format which will load in without you having to deal with the Motif XF files.

Recommended learning method:
When something obviously is askew (Frankenstein S700 piano) take the opportunity to learn what went wrong (this will help you understand the architecture better). Grasp the terminology so that you have a better idea of what's going on...

Call up the Frankenstein S700 piano (which loaded from your Inspiration in a Flash load attempt)
Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view Element 1 parameter settings
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF1] WAVE
Here is where the Voice is instructed to "look" for its data. This is exactly where the mistake is. We have found the source of the leak at the bottom of the pool. Instead of "pointing to" the correct Wave Bank and Number your Voice is pointing elsewhere. Because you have not told us exactly how you have attempted to load/convert the Motif XF files we can only make guesses about how you arrived where you did, but nonetheless, this screen is where a Voice is instructed to look for its data. When loaded properly it should reference the correct Waveform data.

What Load TYPE (specifically) did you use to load in the Inspiration in a Flash.X3A file?
In other words did you set the TYPE = all or 1Bank Voice, etc. etc.?

One of the "learning curve" things to learn is: when dealing with Flash data installed to your Flash Board is never overwritten.
We'll repeat that for emphasis: data installed to your Flash Board is never overwritten.

There are only two ways to remove installed data: you either DELETE it or you FORMAT the Board.
Once the Waveform and Samples are directed to the Flash Board, they remain there until you either a DELETE a them (using a specific function called "Delete" or you actually Format the entire Flash Board.

So a very common newbie mistake is to duplicate Waveform data on their flash board, by loading in the data multiple times. New Waveforms simply go to the end of the list, or find the lowest numbered empty location. 2048 Waveforms, maximum, can be installed on your Flash Board.

Once you have properly installed data to YOUR flash board, it is imperative that you make a backup ALL data file representing the data on YOUR Flash Board. What you choose to install quickly becomes unique to your board. Because you have selected certain data, and not other certain data makes YOUR Flash Board unique. Do not, repeat do not use the original files any longer. The original files represent the data on the original MOXF or Motif XF that made the file... You want to create a backup of YOUR data as you've selected it for YOUR MOXF. (Of course, you make the backup file ONLY after you have verified that all is correct).

We can only tell you that your mistake happened long before you loaded in the CP1 data... Because of the rule... data installed to your Flash Board is never overwritten. So the CP1's data being last loaded went dutifully to the end of the list. In order for a Voice to have lost its Waveform is that you were experimenting with loading data, unaware that Waveform never get overwritten or replaced, so at some point you've created duplicate data on your Waveform List.

The only thing i want is to have the "Inspiration in a flash" contents (minus the ethnic sounds) and the 16 CP1 voices.

We recommend you FORMAT the board and start over.

Once you've formatted the board (clean slate)
Press [FILE]
Set TYPE = 1 Bank Voice
Reading the instruction you have with you file, figure out which Bank contains the data you wish to load and direct it to your internal User 1 bank.
Repeat for the second file directing it your internal User 2 bank.
Verify your work by playing through USER 1 and USER 2

When it is time to load the CP1 data
Set the File TYPE = voice
Navigate to to the CP1 file data
And one by one load the 16 Voices to the first 16 locations of USER 3.
(Only the very first one will take a long time, the next 15 will load in about 2 seconds each...)

Now you have all the data you've specified in your MOXF.
YOUR flash board is different from everyone else's... You now can put those original file away in a safe place, because you will only ever need them again if you want to start the process all over. They no longer coincide with YOUR MOXF...

Make a NEW .X6A All data file saved "with samples"... To represent exactly what's in YOUR MOXF. Only ever load Voices from one of YOUR files. Your file will have a special code that "knows" what data and specifically *where* your data is located in your instrument. And loading from your OWN file will be efficient because Your File is for Your MOXF. Every file you make from now on will be encoded with special code that can figure out exactly where the S700 Waveform (there are 3) and where the Samples being organized by those 3 Waveforms are (each S700 Waveform has 90 Samples) - the Waveform organizes the Samples into playable entities.

S700 soft stereo
S700 medium stereo
S700 hard stereo
These are the three Waveforms. 270 Samples total.

MOXF Flash Memory article

MOXF free Content data

Posted : 04/03/2016 11:57 am
Topic starter

Thank you very much for your reply. And for your patience, wich i appreciate a lot!

My first mistake was to try to convert the data originally made for the Motif XF. I formatted the flash and started again, this time with the MOXF version. In the following days i'll try to install specific voices to specific user bank numbers. Following your advice, i've created my own file. It worked perfectly!

You wrote that "There are only two ways to remove installed data: you either DELETE it or you FORMAT the Board. ". Please, correct me if i'm wrong, but i think you can also use OPTIMIZE to delete duplicate waveforms.

Again, thank you very much!

Posted : 06/03/2016 11:04 am
Bad Mister

Excellent. Glad you got it working.

As to the "optimize" function, it does not remove or delete any data as much as it reorganizes it so that your data is consolidated into one big block. After going in and DELETING specific data, the memory can become fragmented with gaps of empty space. OPTIMIZE simply rewrites the data into one solid block, this makes for much more efficient access when reading back your data. The word "Flash" means extremely fast (like the superhero), and obviously that is not descriptive of the write process 🙂 "Flash" here is all about the read speed. When you press a key that requires a user Waveform and its Sample data, the flash speed is in the mere nanoseconds it takes to retrieve and stream that data so that you can use it musically with insignificant (negligible) lag time.

OPTIMIZE
Use this function to optimize the Flash Expansion Memory Module. Optimization consolidates areas of used and unused (available) memory to create the largest possible area of contiguous available memory and speed up memory access. Press the [ENTER] button to call up the confirmation dialog, then press the [ENTER] button again to execute the Optimize operation.

Posted : 06/03/2016 11:30 am
Ben
 Ben
Eminent Member

Hi,

Does the optimize function change the name/location of the waveform in the flash memory ? (for example user 32, etc) Will the MOXF Voice know where to look for the associated waveforms if you optimize the flashboard? I've got some waveforms I'd like to delete and would like to optimize memory afterwards.

Also, is there an easy way to determine which waveforms are currently being used by either user voices or mix voices without checking each voice individually? To determine which waveforms I can delete without affecting my current User Voices/Song&Pattern/Performances?

Thanks,
Ben

Posted : 11/03/2016 3:30 pm
Bad Mister

Does the optimize function change the name/location of the waveform in the flash memory ? (for example user 32, etc) Will the MOXF Voice know where to look for the associated waveforms if you optimize the flashboard? I've got some waveforms I'd like to delete and would like to optimize memory afterwards.

The OPTIMIZE function does not change the name or location of the Waveforms already in memory, it simply shifts the data's physical location on the memory device so that used regions on the device are contiguous. The catalog keeps track of where things are - if it did not it would be of no use to anyone.

You can while it is optimizing have it DELETE any duplicate data. Duplicate Waveforms can appear if you improperly install a library from a file not your own. WHen you place data on your Flash Board it is imperative that you create a Backup on your instrument. Its WAVEFORM LIST is written to that file. Every file you make from this point on will include your WAVEFORM LIST. Once you select which data you are going to keep, your Waveform List will be different from the disk from which you originally loaded it. You should only load data from a disk that includes YOUR Waveform list.

If the MOXF encounters a Waveform (and the Samples it organizes) on a FILE made by you, it will not reload the data, it simply loads the VOICE parameters (lickety-split). IF the MOXF encounters a Waveform (and the Samples it organizes) on a FILE NOT made by you, it will load the VOICES, and what it considers 'new' Waveforms and Samples. So you can wind up with Duplicates on your list. OPTIMIZE has an option box "DELETE SAME NAME WAVEFORMS" - that is what that is about.

As to an easy way of determining which Waveforms are currently being used by either User Voices or Mix Voice or in Song or Patterns, there is not really, as there is in the Motif XF. The best way to truly optimize your Wave ROM is to only install data that you are certain you going to keep.

As you realize... the Flash Boards basically extend the available Waveforms for Voices to be built. The factory provides you with 3,977 Waveforms in the permanent Wave ROM of the MOXF. From that literally an unlimited number of Voices can be created... Of course, only 384 User Voices and 32 User Drum Kits can be loaded in at a time. It takes only seconds to load the VOICE parameters (if there is no Waveforms and Samples to wait to load) ...years from now, new Voices can still be made from the basic 3,977 Waveforms in memory. (My first analog synth had just two Waveforms and I have not exhausted the new Voices I can make with just a Sawtooth and a Pulse Wave!)

But when you want to build a totally new VOICE from an entirely new set of Sampled data _ that is where the Flash Board memory comes in. Adding NEW WAVEFORMS and SAMPLES.

Your Waveform List quickly becomes YOUR personal (semi) permanent Wave ROM (meaning it is rewriteable but basically you want keep it exclusively for your required data. So the rule is never install a WAVEFORM if you never intend to use it. So loading in the entire Inspiration in a Flash Library content should only be done when you are *auditioning* sounds.

When you find a VOICE you think you might use, write it down. Continue to audition and write down those Voices you might want to add to your list of available sounds. You will find many that you will never use, those you do not want to use up memory in your custom Wave ROM.

There are two ways to approach cleaning up... FORMAT and Load just the data you've selected.
Or if you have all the data in there - then you must work backwards (I find that the most difficult and tedious)

The most elegant method (by a very, very long shot... ) is the John Melas Motif Waveform Editor. This software tool allows you to manage, organize, and create ALL data files that you then just load into your MOXF to a freshly formatted board. Basically, it can open your FILES on the computer and let you elegantly select the VOICE you want - you literally drag and drop them by NAME into a new Library file. The Waveforms and Samples to make them work are *automatically* brought over... duplicate Waveforms can be automatically repointed and directly properly, all with a few clicks of a mouse on your computer. You wind up with a FILE you can just simply LOAD to your MOXF. Well worth the investment!

While doing it manually can help you learn about how the memory structure works, the Waveform Editor just simply takes all the tediousness out of the process!

Posted : 13/03/2016 9:43 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us