Notifications
Clear all

Question about the size on flash needed for Chick Corea voices

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Reece
Topic starter

Hi, I just got a new MOXF6 and my Premium content has already arrived. I've installed my flash ROM and I'm trying to create a custom USR voice bank from different parts of the content included on the premium USB.

I've watched the video included by Bad Mister and the first sound set he goes over is the one for Chick Corea's Rhodes sounds. In the video, BM says that the content of the CC file will take up 400M (or about that, I don't remember the exact number) of the flash ROM and he is correct, when you load the ALL file, it has about 111M left on the flash ROM. He also says that all of the CC voices use all of the wave files, so I would assume most of that 400M would be needed for all 16 voices of the CC Rhodes sounds.

Since I wanted to create a custom USR set of banks, I wanted to load only the 16 voices and associated files from the CC voice banks and I assumed there would be some content in the X3A file which were not part of the 16 voices, but assumed it would not be much since BM said all 16 voices use all of the wave files loaded and the content takes up 400M.

So I reformatted the flash and then I loaded just the 1st USR bank by using the 1BANKVOICE function and loaded USR 1 into USR 1 on the flash ROM. when it finished, I looked at the size of the flash ROM and it said it only had taken up about 111M (IIRC - somewhere around 100M anyway).

So my question is - what am I missing? is the other 300M all Performance data or something? also, there was a USR2 bank that I could have selected (but didn't) - what content is in that bank? I don't see any documentation in the CC pdf which says there are any voices in it other than the 16 CC Rhodes voices. It also doesn't mention any Performance data or anything else.

Posted : 26/10/2015 5:22 pm
Martin

Hi Reece, if you really chose the proper USR bank when perfoming the "1BankVoice" command to load Chick's library into the MOXF, 111 Megs flash memory occupation sounds a little bit strange to me.

Chick's library is made of 5 waveforms which are containing high-quality samples (even samples for each note between F0 and D#6 are available) without any loops. So, in fact it's correct that the library will take about 400 Megs if loaded. The voice data are minimal compared to the memory amount needed for the waveforms (and there are no other waveforms than the ones related to Chick's Mark V), so I'm not sure what went wrong when loading the data in your case. Can you please check the following:

Press
[FILE],
[F6] (Flash)
[SF2] (Delete)
Don't be afraid - nothing will be deleted...
How many waveforms do you actually see in the list?
Are there all 5 listed, or less?

Press [EXIT] to leave that menu safely.

If you are loading a single user voice from the library, only waveforms/samples will be loaded to your flashboard which are actually used by that particular voice; the allocated memory amount may increase the more voices (and their allocated waveforms/samples) you load seperately into your MOXF. However the MOXF is smart enough to remember which waveforms/samples you already have loaded during that process so that there are no duplicates..Have you evenually loaded a single user voice only instead of the whole bank?

Posted : 26/10/2015 6:43 pm
Martin

As an additional advice, I'd recommend Bad Mister's tutorial which exactly covers the loading process for that particular library.

Posted : 26/10/2015 6:59 pm
Martin

I looked at the size of the flash ROM and it said it only had taken up about 111M

Did you eventually interpret the "free" memory displayed on the MOXF screen as the "occupied" memory on the flashboard?
If you have a 512M board installed, 111M free memory would make sense after installing Chick's library!

What does it say when you press
[FILE]
[F6]
[SF1]?

Posted : 26/10/2015 7:15 pm
Reece
Topic starter

Thanks Martin,
yes, I think maybe I misread what was free instead of what was used. [/embarrassed] 🙁

when I look at what you told me to look at now, I see all 5 waveforms in the delete list and when I go to FILE>F6>SF1 I see 111M FREE out of 512M.

even though I'm an Electrical Engineer, I am certainly a NOOB at this Flash ROM for the MOXF!

So, I guess that means that there's no way I can load even ONE voice of CC without nearly filling up my 512M?

Posted : 26/10/2015 8:27 pm
Reece
Topic starter

Also, thank you for the link to the tutorial - it's very useful!

Posted : 26/10/2015 8:48 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us