Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Raising only one track up an octave on MOX6

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I have a MOX6. I recorded several tracks to a pattern, and would now like to chain them together for a song. However, I decided to lower the key by 7 steps. i see now that the guitar in the tracks sounds too low, but everything else is fine. Is there a way to ONLY raise the guitar track up an octave, while leaving all the other tracks alone? Thanks much!

Posted : 26/09/2021 10:23 am
Bad Mister

I have a MOX6. I recorded several tracks to a pattern, and would now like to chain them together for a song. However, I decided to lower the key by 7 steps. i see now that the guitar in the tracks sounds too low, but everything else is fine. Is there a way to ONLY raise the guitar track up an octave, while leaving all the other tracks alone? Thanks much!

Yes, there is. There are two different methods. Please read through each and then make a decision. One involves editing the Pattern Sequencer, the second involves editing the Synthesizer Tone Generator.

When you refer to “tracks” you are actually referring to the MIDI Event data that is written to the MIDI Track. We will cover this one first
When you refer to “Pattern”, we need to understand that each time you record, that data exists in a numbered “User Phrase”, 001-256. (16 per Section, 16 Sections)
Each of the Sections A-P can contain a recorded Phrase for a specific instrument.
When you select the Guitar Track, all the guitar Phrases will share that same Track number.

Press [PATTERN] to view the main Pattern screen.
Start with Section “A”
Select the Track that will include all of the Guitar Phrases
Press [JOB]
Press [F2] NOTE - To view Note data jobs
You want to select job 05: “Transpose”

Set the Phrase will automatically populate the dialog box because you selected the Track.
Set the Measure range (listed in Measure:Beat:Clock ticks)… say you have a 4-measure Phrase, you would set the range: 001:1:000 ~ 005:1:000 — it works like a clock from the top of measure 1 to the top of measure 5 equals four complete measures; just like the top of the hour to the top of the next hour is 60 complete minutes).
You can leave the Note Range as is: C-2 thru G8 — Basically this means you are transposing all notes in the Phrase
Set the Transpose = +12 — each increment is a semitone.
Execute.

Play it back, if you approve move to Section B and do the same.
If you don’t, you can press UNDO and try a new setup.
Rinse and repeat for all Sections that contain Guitar Phrases.
Press [STORE]

Alternate Method NOTE SHIFT the Tone Generator
The above routine is rewriting the MIDI data that is actually documented to the Sequencer Track. The alternate method would be to set the Guitar (the instrument) to interpret the notes that are already recorded and play them one octave up. This accomplishes much the same goal… with one operation.

This involves editing the Synthesizer.
From [PATTERN] mode
Press [MIXING] — this gives you access to the synth sounds associated with this Sequence
Press [EDIT]
Press the Track # containing the Guitar
Press [F4] TONE
Press [SF1] TUNE
Tune the Guitar up one octave (+12)
Press [STORE]

Yes, it is a lot quicker to reTune the guitar than it is rewrite each Phrase. But depending on your intention as to what you are going to do with the data, you need to understand the difference.

The first method would ensure the correct octave if you were to decide to output the data to an external module.
The second method does not change what is output via MIDI… but is a very “local” edit for the MOX6 Tone Generator.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 26/09/2021 2:53 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us