Notifications
Clear all

RE: FC3a only starting to sustain after depressing by over 50%

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Trusted Member
Topic starter

I have 2 FC3 pedals. When the second one stopped working after a short time, I took it apart. It's just a potentiometer.
I can measure the resistance with a multimeter and nothing seems broken. The resistance goes from about 1 kOhm to just under 10 kOhm and it's a linear response.
I'm measuring the resistance at the cable jack to ensure it's not a cable issue.

So why don't either of these pedals work with my MOXF8 any more? They did when they were new.
I can plug in a cheapo sustain pedal or even a 25-year-old Korg footswitch and they work.

Why do these $50 pedals not work?

I know all about the sustain pedal settings (FC3, FC4, Half-on, Half-off).

The pedals simply do not work. I'm wondering if I can just rewire them to forget the half-pedaling altogether and just have a functioning sustain pedal.

I had hoped to find a bad pot and just replace it, but I have no indication that it's a failed component.
One thing I found strange is that the mechanical pedal only turns the pot shaft very slightly through the entire travel of the pedal. So it's only using a small fraction of the 10k range. But hey, they're Yamaha engineers so I figure they know what they're doing.

Posted : 13/05/2020 2:29 pm
Bad Mister

We moved your post to the MOXF Forum as you don’t own a MODX.
You should contact Yamaha Customer Service... find the contact info in the back of your Owner’s Manual.

The fact that you have two pedals and both do the same thing means it might be a problem with your MOXF Sustain pedal jack.
Plug the FC3 temporarily into the Assignable Foot Controller jack which defaults to cc11 - see if it adjusts the Volume... this is one way to test if the pedal is working. 0-127... you should get no sound until you engage the FC3.

If this does work you might want to have the Sustain jack checked.

Posted : 13/05/2020 3:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us