Notifications
Clear all

Rendering Problem Cubase Artist 9.5 MOXF8

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Scot
Topic starter

Ok, so in Digital Studio terms, I'll preface this by saying I'm like a guy who picked up a few words of English via Google Translater and then attempted Shakespeare. I've done a job for a client on Cubase 9.5, using MOXF8 as my audio and midi interface and want to produce stems to send my client so his engineer can import into Protools and mix. Simple right? Maybe for you guys! 3 of my midi parts successfully rendered and two stubbornly will not. Same midi channel set up on each channel. Go figure. Now, when I go back to the midi parts, they won't play. Strangely, when I open the key Editor and trigger each note manually with the mouse, they play. I'm really disappointed, by the way, that MOXF8 and Cubase regularly forget the midi port settings and I'm constantly calling the poor guy at Yamaha in Melbourne to get him to talk me through it. Shouldn't this stuff be remembered between these two systems apparently designed to work together? Anyway, I digress. Can someone please show me a way forward?

Posted : 04/09/2018 2:19 pm
Bad Mister

Shouldn't this stuff be remembered between these two systems apparently designed to work together? Anyway, I digress. Can someone please show me a way forward?

The answer to both of these questions is yes. When you get properly configured the two work together extremely well, and the biggest “selling point” is how well they work together for just the kind of thing you are asking to do. Hopefully, we can get you to that point.

You can have Cubase render complete stems for each of the MOXF Parts. We’ll need to know some information from you so we can best instruct you on what to do.

You mention Cubase 9.5, but fail to mention if you are using Cubase Pro 9.5, Cubase AI 9.5, or Cubase Elements 9.5, or another version... let us know. It will help us know what shortcuts (if any) are available to you.

Also are you setup and using the “MOXF Editor VST” inside of Cubase? Again, we don’t want to complicate things... you can do the transfer with or without, it’s just a matter of tailoring the response here to what you are working with.

We also need to clarify where you recorded the MIDI Tracks... are they recorded in the MOXF or did you record them to Cubase using the Cubase Master Clock?

Let us know.

Posted : 04/09/2018 8:26 pm
 Scot
Topic starter

Thanks for your help! I have Cubase Artist 9.5. Midi Tracks were eexoeeed to Cubase using MOXF8 sounds.

Unaware of the Cubase Master Clock as such but the clock in the transport bar is responding in real time, if that makes sense.

I’ve attached a current screen shot. I currently have the piano midi part soloing but there is no sound.

The rendered parts play fine.

Two midi parts will not render. I tried it another way, by doing attempting an audio mix down of the soloed tracks individually, but there is no sound from these parts when played.

Ok scratch the screen shot! Apparently my iPhone pic is not compatible to upload.

Posted : 04/09/2018 11:43 pm
 Scot
Topic starter

Forgot to answer re MOXF8 VST editor and yes, I’m using the editor and it’s status is ONLINE.

Posted : 05/09/2018 12:35 am
Bad Mister

Thanks for your help! I have Cubase Artist 9.5. Midi Tracks were eexoeeed to Cubase using MOXF8 sounds.

Hmmm... I don’t know what that means. If “eexoeeed” is exported... the sentence still doesn’t tell us much. We are going to have to guess that you initially recorded the data in the MOXF8 Sequencer and “exported” the data to Cubase. But how? Did you transfer it by saving it as a .mid File to a USB stick? Did you play it over in real-time via MIDI transfer?

Unaware of the Cubase Master Clock as such but the clock in the transport bar is responding in real time, if that makes sense.

That is what we need to determine, is Cubase counting “Bars+Beats” that match the music. If you paid no attention to the Clock does the music line up with the Count of measures and beats? Very important.

This will tell us how you got the data into Cubase.

Next we will need to know if your MOXF is setup for 4CH operation - this allows dual Stereo Outputs (2StereoRec) to be selected as your USB output situation. You will need to establish Clock synchronization between the MOXF and Cubase because in order to transfer each Part to audio you will need to do so in separate passes. For example, if you have 5 Parts recorded, and you have two Output options you will need multiple passes to separately record the Parts.

In the first pass you can assign Part 1 to USB 1&2, and isolate Part 2 on USB 3&4.
Next pass Part 3 will use USB 1&2, and Part 4 will use USB 3&4
Finally Part 5 can use USB 1&2.

Think of the USB pairs as “buses”. A bus is a vehicle that can carry passengers (in this case signals) from one place to another along a designated route. On the first trip you can put passengers Part 1 and Part 2 on respective buses 1&2, and 3&4, then setup STUDIO > Audio Connections > INPUTS to receive the Audio in Cubase.

Then create a Stereo Track for each. Assign USB1&2 to one, and USB3&4 to the other. While transferring these you can MUTE the other musical Parts.
Rinse and repeat using the next Parts... Muting all but those you are transferring.

The fact that you are using Measures and Beats, and have the clocks synchronized will mean all the data will lineup and playback properly.
Cubase will be the Master Clock and the MOXF will follow the Tempo and Measure/Beat count established in the software.

Let us know. We cannot give all the details without the information about how your “exported” the data to Cubase.

What you will be able to do (when we finish here) is choose one of two methods to render the MIDI Tracks as audio.
1) Real time transfer
2) Export Audio Mixdown

Posted : 05/09/2018 8:24 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us