Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

sending bank and patch change commands from moxf to external synth

8 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

can you help a newbie through the process? ive read and understand the master mode tutorial but can't seem to get my rig running. i have a MOXF performance in zone one. zone two i have a novation ultranova keyboard. zone 3 is a DSI mopho keyboard. on stage live, i would like to be able to select the master patch on my MOXF and have both external synths bank and patch change. i don't want to play the external synth patches on the MOXF key bed. I just need the MOXF to do my bank patch selection to speed up my time between songs. so far, zone 2, midi out (chan 2) port on MOXF is connected to Midi in (chan2) port on novation. novation, midi thru, zone 3,(chan 3) is daisy chained to DSI midi in (chan 3). i believe i have researched the net for a lll resources on this and have more then a few hours. once i master this the sky is the limit for me!

Posted : 14/03/2018 2:51 am
Bad Mister

You don't say what is not working for you. If you want to send Bank Select and Program Changes to your external devices, we assume you have that info, you mention you don't want to play them from the MOXF keys... make sure you set the NOTE LIMITs for those external Zone to G8~G8, this way the Key presses will not affect trigger those Zones; also you'll want to set the TX SW (Transmit Switches) for the external Zones to OFF so things like Sustain pedal, MW, PB, etc don't transmit on those Zones.

Posted : 14/03/2018 4:05 pm
Topic starter

AAAH! G8~G8 makes sense and TX SWs off except for Bank and PC(MIDI)? I ask with some confidence. Whats not working for me is the bank and patch changes on my ultranova (for a start). The MSB, LSB and PC, CCs from the ultranova midi implementation guide don't change the bank and patch when I entered them into zone 2.(SEND,F6 enabled) I'm looking at my floor now. Question 1; Are there settings in the MOXF UTILITY that may be stopping the transmission? Question 2; Am I using the wrong MSB,LSB and PC CCsto control the ultranova? please advise me as you see fit and thanks for your help so far.

Posted : 15/03/2018 3:18 am
Bad Mister

AAAH! G8~G8 makes sense and TX SWs off except for Bank and PC(MIDI)? I ask with some confidence.

Correct!

Question 1; Are there settings in the MOXF UTILITY that may be stopping the transmission?

Yes, under TX SW, as you correctly surmised you want to send Bank Select and PC OUT via MIDI to the ZONEs you are transmitting (EXT) externally to... If those are turned ON, you should be good to go.

Question 2; Am I using the wrong MSB,LSB and PC CCsto control the ultranova? please advise me as you see fit and thanks for your help so far.

I don't know the correct MSB/LSB and PC for the UltraNova... do they have a listing somewhere?

Posted : 15/03/2018 8:21 pm
Topic starter

thank you, yes the Ultranova Program Parameter Midi Assignments, Midi Controller List shows ;Parameter= (Standard Midi), CC=(0), and Packed Data Detail=(bank MSB). Further down the list of various controls list is Parameter= (Standard Midi) CC= (32), Packed Data Detail= (bank LSB). I don't see a "CC" in the list for PC but from what ive read it should be 0~127 for patches 1~128. I'm researching how to enter these numbers into the zone 2 PRESET fields but not having any luck and the ultranova is not responding. Currently, I have; PRESET, ZONE 2, Bank MSB=000, Bank LSB=032 and PgmChange=47. what Im looking for on the ultranova is Bank D, patch 48. I'm also researching how MSB and LSB values command the "Bank D" selection. I have not yet found literature on this particular command for my application. It's interesting and I'm learning about how it works but my fail is in the application. I'm ready for help and/or direct me to resources so I may catch my own fish! Thank you very much for your help.

Posted : 15/03/2018 10:55 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry I can’t help with the UltraNova, but I can clear this up for you.

Bank Select is handled by two CC Numbers. The first is the MSB (CC = 000), and the second is the LSB (CC = 032)
MSB is its formal name, close friends know it as “cc000”. LSB is the formal name, it’s known as “cc032”.
You need to find out what *value* goes with cc000, and which value goes with the cc032.

The value will be some number between 000~127.

Program Change is its own category of message in MIDI (so it is not a Control Change (cc) it is a Program Change... a whole separate category of MIDI message. Always a number 000~127.

Posted : 16/03/2018 12:06 am
Topic starter

Ok thanks. you mentioned; "You need to find out what *value* goes with cc000, and which value goes with the cc032". MSB cc000 and LSB cc032 are given values from the ultranova midi chart. How would I find out the "value" you speak of? I don't recognize this "value" information from the novation or any synth midi implementation charts ive researched. I will continue my search online for understanding of this. Please elaborate if possible to help me understand what this is.

Posted : 16/03/2018 3:04 pm
Topic starter

Ahh success! On my MOXF, ZONEs 1~4, PRESET, BankMSB, 000, is already programmed but no shown. the 3 digit field for editing, in this case , is left "000". BankLSB, 032 is already programed but not shown. the 3 digit field shown for editing BankLSB is my Bank Select; 000~002=bank 1~3.Its always something simple in the end!

Posted : 16/03/2018 3:53 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us