Notifications
Clear all

Some basic Qs about multi-track mixing

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I'm doing a lot more careful and specific mixing on some multi- tracked songs and there are some things that I'm still not clear about even after a lot of trial and error learning.

What is the difference between an Event (Volume 007) manually inserted into the sequence and what happens when you simply "ride" an assigned Knob while recording in Overdub mode? Are hundreds of Events being placed into the sequence to represent the fader activity? How come I don't see all those events when overdub recording?

Is the animation of the mixer graphic the only way to see where Volume changes are occurring?

What happens if I start Record/Overdub for a track in the middle of the sequence after Volume changes have been inserted previously? Do I have to allow the sequence to "play thru" the previous changes so it knows where it is, in terms of that value?

Do these Volume settings get recognized only when moving linearly forward in the Song? How can I ensure that the Part sequence, when I re-cue to the beginning, will return to the Volume I want at the start? I notice that the volume for a track is often something completely different when I re-cue to the start. What might cause this and how to avoid it?

When the four knobs and their assigned Volumes are displayed on the LED screen AND I've set the Parts to ALL (as opposed to one of the individual parts in that 1-4 group) does that mean any movement of any of those four knobs during REC/Play (Overdub) will be recorded?

The questions all kind of resemble each other, because they all revolve around understanding the procedure and "rules" for what happens to sequence events and other MIDI commands when re-mixing.

Thanks.

Posted : 20/07/2020 5:14 am
Bad Mister

MOXF

What is the difference between an Event (Volume 007) manually inserted into the sequence and what happens when you simply "ride" an assigned Knob while recording in Overdub mode?

Inserting a cc7 event is very similar to inserting events with a Knob or Slider, except the Knob or Slider can create a series of events.

Are hundreds of Events being placed into the sequence to represent the fader activity? How come I don't see all those events when overdub recording?

No, hundreds of events are not placed in the track by the Knob or slider, only sends data when it moves. If you move it from 92 to 100 it stops outputting events when you reach 100. In MIDI the last value send remains until you change it. A simple movement of the cc7 Knob from 92 through 100 will likely output just eight events... which stop at 100. The value remains at 100 until another cc7 message is encountered — it does not need to continuously stream the value, it will NOT change until another cc7 event is encountered... if it never encounters one, it does not change.

It does not have to continue sending 100, MIDI persists. The value will remain there until it receives a cc7 command to change it.

Is the animation of the mixer graphic the only way to see where Volume changes are occurring?

No, you have an Event List and a View Filter that lets you see just the events of the type you want to view.

When [SONG] or [PATTERN] is lit, and you press [EDIT] you are editing the sequence data
When [MIXING] is additionally lit, when you press [EDIT] you are going to be editing the synthesizer.

Press [SONG] or [PATTERN] whichever you are using
Select the Track 1-16
Press [EDIT]
The Event list appears — shows Measure-Beat-Clock and the Event Type and its Value.
[F1] CHANGE — Here you can make changes to items on the list by moving the cursor.
You have a “View Filter” — press [F2] VIEW FLT
this allows you to select what type of event you would like to view back in [F1] — for example, you can choose to view just cc7 messages, if you wish.

What happens if I start Record/Overdub for a track in the middle of the sequence after Volume changes have been inserted previously? Do I have to allow the sequence to "play thru" the previous changes so it knows where it is, in terms of that value?

Always: The most recently received MIDI Event rules. When you are in a linear Song, the MOXF can “look up” the most recent change in MIDI events, this way if you start in the middle of a sequence it will start at the volume (in this instance) begins at the most recent change for cc7. This is referred to in MIDI as “Event Chase”.

Page 97... Reference Manual
Keep in mind that starting a Song from somewhere in the middle may cause playback problems, such as the wrong sound, incorrect pitch or unexpected volume changes. This may occur because the MIDI events recorded at the start the Song have not been recognized by the tone generator section, since playback has started at a different point in the Song, with different MIDI events. To prevent this from happening, set the “SongEventChase” parameter (page 144) to “PC+PB+Ctrl” or “all” in the OTHER display of the Utility mode. With this setting, the Song will be played back properly even when starting playback from the middle of the Song.

While in the MOXF Sequencer, press [UTILITY] > [F2] SEQ > [SF3] OTHER
Set the “SongEventChase” so the your Song will look into the the Track data ... it looks for the last change of the cc event, program change, Pitch Bend value, etc, so your playback will be correct from wherever you locate the Transport

When the four knobs and their assigned Volumes are displayed on the LED screen AND I've set the Parts to ALL (as opposed to one of the individual parts in that 1-4 group) does that mean any movement of any of those four knobs during REC/Play (Overdub) will be recorded?

Correct. Pressing both Knob Control Function buttons simultaneously turn the top row of Knobs into side-by-side Channel Volumes.
Use the right front panel’s

button to select 1-4, 5-8, 9-12 or 13-16 to access the different Part Volumes... the screen will display the current Volume, and the “Original” (stored) Volume.

Initial Start Condition
A MIXING program is associated automatically with each Song and with each Pattern... this includes the Voice selection, the Volume, the Pan position, the Insert Effect Switch, etc. This information is stored by the MOXF in with the synthesizer program (MIXING). This data is stored in the Store routine as your start condition any time the SONG + its MIXING are recalled.

These settings are restored by recalling the SONG. As this might require moving away and returning, it is highly recommended that you STORE your ‘start condition’ in a SONG SCENE — SCENE buttons are located in the main Song screen accessible via the [SF] buttons.
It is a good practice when working on automation to document you mix Start Conditions in Scene 1 — this way you can easily restore the start conditions... without having to move away and completely recall the SONG+MIXING.

Say, you fade out the Volumes at the end — remember MIDI persists, if the last value for cc7 was 0, that will remain until a new event for cc7 is encountered. You would have to either recall the Song, or use the “Scene” to restore your start conditions.

If you are in Pattern mode, this setup data (Voice selection, Volume, Pan, and Insert Effect Switch) is kept in the the Phrase Header of each track.

PATTERN SEQ LOOP
You can view what is stored in your Pattern Header, by selecting the Track you want to view, then pressing the RECORD button, then press [F2] VOICE — The data shown here is the stored events in this Pattern Track’s Phrase Header. The information is stored in this Phrase Header in Pattern mode — it is read when a Pattern Phrase is recalled. This allows you to change volume, Pan, instrument without actually inserting a MIDI event in the Track data... the Phrase Header is read only the very first time the Phrase is asked to play — you can understand this because Pattern Phrases cycle (loop) endlessly, you don’t want these messages sent again and again and again... which is what would happen if you inserted or recorded the data into the Pattern Track.

This is the reason recording Automation commands, like dynamic volume changes, are best left until the composition has been converted to a linear format (like the MOXF Song).

Overdubbing Automation
Record Mode = Overdub allows you to add information to existing information.
This allows you to leave Note data alone and to add or change your Control Change (cc) information by accessing the Controller during the recording. If you have already recorded your Track, you can overdub controller movement.

If you make a mistake while adding this Control data you can remove just the events you added, and try it again.
1. You can UNDO the last recording - this will remove just the overdub controller data
2. You can use the “Erase Event” [JOB] to remove just the controller info you added (you can set the specific measure:beat:clock range for erasures)

Posted : 20/07/2020 2:18 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us