Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Specialized sound effects

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I would like to be able to "play" some simple sound effects through the MOXF - for example, in the song "Leader of the Pack" I would play the sound of a motorcycle revving, and later, the sound of a crash. I have WAV and MP3 versions of these brief sounds. I have flash memory installed in the MOXF but I don't know if that will figure into the solution.

Posted : 02/01/2016 1:28 pm

Karen wrote:

I would like to be able to "play" some simple sound effects through the MOXF - for example, in the song "Leader of the Pack" I would play the sound of a motorcycle revving, and later, the sound of a crash. I have WAV and MP3 versions of these brief sounds. I have flash memory installed in the MOXF but I don't know if that will figure into the solution.

I have found the MOXF to be very versatile in using samples to add sound effects found in many pop tunes. Unless the sound effect you need is contained within the onboard waveform ROM you will need the flash memory for storing your custom samples. Unlike its big brother the Motif XF, the MOXF does not have a built in sampler or the associated sample processing capabilities so I would recommend looking into PC based software. I use John Melas Waveform editor to create the voice patch and tweak the waveforms (you can import WAV files) and then write out to an all file which I load back into the MOXF (as individual voices with waveforms/samples as opposed to loading as a full all file). You can use the MOXFs performance or song mixing modes to map the sound effects to the keyboard keys and integrate with other sounds needed for your song. The combo of the MOXF and Melas software is awesome. Hope this helps shed some light.

Posted : 02/01/2016 2:53 pm
Bad Mister

The Wav files (16-bit/44.1kHz) and your Flash board will be useful here. MP3 are not able to played by the MOXF.

You will need to "prepare" the .wav data before you place it in the MOXF, you cannot edit the audio data once installed on the Flash Board which is a kind of Read Only Memory (ROM). This means you need to have the sound effect's audio start precisely at the beginning of the file. This is the first step in making it "musical". You need it prepared so that when assigned to a key in your MOXF audio begins as sound as the key is triggered. This not only allows you to trigger 'on cue' (an important function in music) but also since the audio will be placed in a Drum Kit Voice, the silence detection requires that there is no extended absence of audio, (extended silence will stop playback of drum and percussion sounds).

Take your prepared 16-bit, 44.1kHz .wav and place it on a USB drive you use with you MOXF.
Actually when you install this audio on your Flash Board it will remain in memory and you can build any type of Voice or Voices from it. It will a part of your MOXF's Waveform Library. I recommend Drum kits because you can easily place as many as 73 'sound effects' in one Voice... Typically sound effects require just a single Key, and drum keys can be set individually to ignore Note-off (this means you don't have hold down a key to make them play the entire sound effect... You can just trigger the key, and make the whole audio clip play).

Press [FILE]
Press [F3] LOAD
Set File TYPE = Waveform
Locate your first .wav
Press [SF1] EXEC
You will be offered a USER waveform location 0001~2048
And a Key.
Empty locations will appear blank
I highly recommend C3 for all imported waveforms (this assigns the Key that will sound the original pitch)

Press [SF1] EXEC
The screen will indicate that your data is being installed on your Flash Board... Relax let it work. The data is being burned to the flash board.
Install all of the Waveforms you desire, making sure each is assigned to KEY = C3

Once you have completed this installation, you can use these waveforms to build Voices same as if it was from a Preset Waveform provided by Yamaha.

Call up a Drum Kit Voice
I recommend you initialize a single Key per sound effect as follows:
You do so by pressing [JOB]
Press [F1] INIT
Clear the Box "All", also clear the box "Common", we just want add these sound effects to the Drum kit.. So leave the 'X' next to EL.
Move the cursor to highlight the "EL" (Element) Key designation (probably reads "C0" the lowest Key in a Drum Kit Voice... Set the Key you want to assign the sound effect...it can be any key you desire.

Press [EDIT]
Press [1] to view the Drum Key parameters
Press [F1] OSC
Press [SF1] WAVE
Here you can set the Wave Bank to User and find your sound effect Waveform Number
No matter which key you select the audio will play at its original pitch
Press [F4] OTHER
Set the ASSIGN MODE = single (this will allow just one instance of the audio to play at a time)

Depending on the length of the audio clip you may want to adjust the AEG... For example, drum/percussion sounds are typically short, if your audio does not play in it entirety, press [F4] AMP > [SF3] AEG
By increasing the DECAY2TIME you can lengthen the time the audio will sound.

Rinse and repeat for each sound effect waveform, choosing a different target Key.
Name and STORE your newly Edited Kit to one of 32 USER DRUM locations.

Make sure you create a backup (archive) ALL DATA file "with samples" so that you have a revered of the data you've added to your Flash Board.

Hope that helps.

Edit
We see Timothy posted while I was writing out my response. The Melas Waveform Editor is a highly recommended third part tool for all MOXF owners, but as you can see, you can accomplish what you asked about without it. The MOXF cannot edit waves because it has no sample RAM, but if your audio is "prepared" ahead of time, as I mentioned, you can simply load it directly to your Flash Board and access it from there.

Posted : 02/01/2016 3:36 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us