Clear all

Sustain Pedal help

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
11.2 K Views
Christina
Topic starter

Hi there. I am looking for some assistance with my sustain pedal...

I initially purchased an FC3 sustain pedal and couldn't seem to get it to work on my MOXF8. I went back to the music store where i purchased it and explained my experience; we went over to a floor model MOXF8 and plugged it into the sustain port. Went right to voice preset 1 to test it out...it worked!

I decided to exchange it anyway for an FC5. So brought the FC5 home and plugged it into the sustain jack.

I went right into the utility menu and changed sustain pedal setting to FC4/5 - i was certain to press store to save the changes and exit.

Next i tested it out.

Guess what - still no sustain!

As an experiment I plugged it into the assignable jack, went into Utility menu and changed FS from 96(ArpSw) to 86 (------) corresponding to assignable function 1 button under Full Concert Grand voice. Sure enough i press the FC5 and assignable function 1 button lights. I do know this new FC5 pedal works.

I exited Utility without saving so i could try the FC5 in the sustain jack again. I once again plugged the FC5 into the Sustain jack and verified my settings.

Still no dice. This is seriously frustrating me - there must be a setting wrong somewhere; i'd hate to think my brand new MOXF has some kind of an issue. 🙁

Any advice for me would be greatly appreciated!

Posted : 03/11/2014 2:07 am
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

I wish I could say that the picture helped but it does not. We still cannot tell which jack you actually have it plugged into.... as the cables that are presumably in your main LEFT and RIGHT main outs, from the angle of the picture, look like you missed the jacks completely - but let's assume you have physically inspected it and you have the correct jack (that is fairly easy to do, we have to trust you, because your picture makes it look like you missed the jack completely). Then the only other conclusion is that there is something wrong with your MOXF (rare, but it does happen).

Before you return your keyboard we recommend the following:
Save any custom data you have worked on to an ALL data file (.X6A)
Perform a Factory Set. This will reset your MOXF and restore the Factory settings - so if you changed anything it will reset it to factory fresh condition:

Press [UTILITY]
Press [JOB]
Press [ENTER]
Press [ENTER]

Now go [UTILITY]
Press [F4] CTL ASN (Controller Assign)
Press [SF2] SF2] FT SW (Foot Switch)
Set the Sustain Pedal to match the pedal that you own. "FC4/5"

Let us know.
And physically check the input jack on the back - as you can see, your picture makes it look like you are at an angle and missed all the intended jacks... sure the Sustain pedal lines up - but the MAIN L and Right then do not - do you see what I'm talking about that picture, sorry, it does not help because you took it looking down. Hope your aim is better in real life 🙂 If you are going to take a picture - take it from the back, not the top looking down.

Why you would trade in the FC3 for an FC5???? (only you can explain that one) When you get it working - exchange that FC5 for an FC3, please.

Posted : 03/11/2014 8:16 am
Christina
Topic starter

Ok.

The attached picture should suffice. It is in the correct jack. Did i mention it is in the correct jack? 😉

I performed a factory reset and then set the sustain pedal to FC4/5.

Still no sustain effect.

Posted : 03/11/2014 10:41 pm
Bad Mister

You should take your keyboard to an authorized service center. It is rare, but seems like you should have it checked out.

Posted : 03/11/2014 10:45 pm
Christina
Topic starter

will do. Thanks!

Posted : 03/11/2014 10:50 pm
Christina
Topic starter

Is the FC3 or FC4 better than the FC5? I've no clue. I did watch you discuss foot pedals in the 'Discovering MOX' DVD. That's where i learned that there was an FC5 (and an FC7).

Why i chose to trade for the FC5: I figured it would serve me as an assignable pedal...and it is compact - easier to travel with. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I have owned my MOXF for merely 67 days. I've got pro coverage for it, so if in fact there is a problem with it, hopefully the vendor can repair it quickly or give me a new unit.

Sigh, just when i was on a roll with piano practice...

Ah well i do have my PRS and my Ibanez [bass] to tide me over 🙂

Posted : 03/11/2014 11:18 pm
Christina
Topic starter

Update: HaH i am going to make the journey tonight. Coming home with a MOXF8 that has sustain! 😉

Posted : 04/11/2014 12:24 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us