Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Using Layered Sound in Song mode?

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

The problem I'm trying to solve is when I switch from one sound to another during the same song in normal play mode using a sound in a user bank, the previous sound that I'm sustaining immediately drops. This doesn't work because it instantly kills the ambient sound in a song.

I found a solution in using the Song mode, and loading sounds across the tracks that I want to use together live. Now when I switch from one sound to the next, the previous sound sustains after I've selected the next sound.

The last issue I'm trying to resolve is that I have a layered piano/strings combo I'd like to use in the song list. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

-Rich

Posted : 12/12/2016 3:03 pm
Bad Mister

Sounds (Parts) that you want to play together (simultaneously) as in a Piano Part layered with a String Part can simply be placed on the same MIDI channel.
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the Part number 1-16
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] MODE
Set the Receive Channel so they match, press [STORE]
Selecting the lower numbered Track will sound both of them.

Posted : 12/12/2016 3:20 pm
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

Sounds (Parts) that you want to play together (simultaneously) as in a Piano Part layered with a String Part can simply be placed on the same MIDI channel.
Press [MIXING]
Press [EDIT]
Press the Part number 1-16
Press [F1] VOICE
Press [SF2] MODE
Set the Receive Channel so they match, press [STORE]
Selecting the lower numbered Track will sound both of them.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I will try this as soon as I get home.

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly, I do this when I am in Song mode, in the song I want to add the layered sound to, correct?

Also - is it possible to do the above step and save the result as a sound (part) that I can save to a User bank?

Thanks again, and sorry for being such a newb. 🙂

-Rich

Posted : 12/12/2016 4:13 pm
Bad Mister

To make sure I'm understanding this correctly, I do this when I am in Song mode, in the song I want to add the layered sound to, correct?

Yes, in Song mode, to view the Voices you have selected, you press [MIXING]. This gives you access to the Voices that are assigned to PARTs.

In VOICE mode you play one Voice at a time... In Song mode you can address 16 Voices, by placing one each in each of the 16 Parts. Typically, you address each ON on a separate MIDI channel... but you can freely assign the MIDI Receive Channel - stacking multiple sounds on the same channel.

A Part is Voice that has been selected to receive data via a TRACK [1]-[16]. When in Song mode you transmit via a Track to a Part. So if you want Track 1 to address both a Piano in Part 1 and a String in Part 2, you would set both Parts to Receive Channel 1.

Posted : 12/12/2016 5:31 pm
Topic starter

Thanks so much Bad Mister, that clears up a lot for me. Should be easy to do what I need now, thank you!!

I'll ask one last question and leave you alone - it is still my assumption that to be able to switch sounds mid-song during a live performance without losing sustain on the current sound, one should use the Song mode. Is this correct, or is there another (better) way to do this?

Using Song mode is totally fine with me, but I'm not doing any of the recording/sequencing, etc. that Song mode offers.

Just want to be sure I'm using my new board correctly for live performances.

Thanks again - your help is very much appreciated!!

Posted : 12/12/2016 7:44 pm
Bad Mister

I'll ask one last question and leave you alone - it is still my assumption that to be able to switch sounds mid-song during a live performance without losing sustain on the current sound, one should use the Song mode. Is this correct, or is there another (better) way to do this?

You can use both SONG (64 locations) and PATTERN (64 locations)... that is correct. They both are modes where you can set the MIDI Receive Channel as you require, and seamlessly move between the sounds - with no audible glitch or interruption.

Name and Save your setups. You can even LOAD individual SONG setups or individual PATTERN setups as you may require, from an ALL data file (.X6A)
Songs can be stored and retrieved from .X6S file
Patterns can be stored and retrieved from .X6P file

Posted : 13/12/2016 9:15 pm
Topic starter

You ROCK! Thanks so much for all your help!!

Posted : 13/12/2016 10:14 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us