Clear all

VST Playback in Sonar not using USB driver for playback

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Tony
Topic starter

Hello!

I recently acquired an MOXF6 and I am using it with Sonar Platinum. Although the Yamaha USB driver is installed on my Windows 10 64bit system, I am not using it for audio playback. I use the audio interface in my Zed R16. I want to use the MOXF6 VST but am unable to get sound. I can choose it as a synth, the VST comes up, it talks back and forth MIDI with the board. I can find no way to get the VST to function, sound wise, as a typical VST does in Sonar.

Any ideas what I may be doing wrong?

Posted : 12/10/2016 12:46 am
Bad Mister

Like any synth (virtual or real) there are two things to consider MIDI setup and Audio setup. In order to communicate with the MOXF you will need the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver for Windows version 1.9.9. This driver is different from the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver (you are not specific, so I will be) which is not for the MOXF. You can obtain this driver on the MOXF6/MOXF8 page on the official Yamaha download site:
http://download.yamaha.com

You will only be using the MIDI portion of this driver. In your DAW's MIDI options make sure to select this driver for MIDI communication.
Port 1 is for all your music data (notes, controllers, tempo).
Port 2 is for Remote Control Surface communication
Port 3 connects the 5-pin MIDI jacks on the MOXF back panel (you can connect one external device through these In/Out jacks)
Port 4 is reserved for the MOXF VST Editor
Port 5 is for the Remote VSTi Editor

In order to run the MOXF6/MOXF8 EDITOR VST/Standalone as a VSTi within your DAW, it must be VST3 compatible.
You are not using the MOXF as your audio interface, so you will need to make the following connections to set it up to run properly in your DAW (sorry, I'm not a Sonar user so you will need to know where to go to find the actual setup items):
In theory, your MIDI Track will receive Input from the hardware MOXF (Port1), and it will Output data to the "MOXF6/MOXF8 VST-Midi In" (the EDITOR VST). It then establishes a 1:1 relationship with the hardware MOXF... When the Editor is "Online" any changes you make to the Editor are immediately reflected in the hardware, and any changes you make to the MOXF hardware are immediately reflected on the Editor VST.

With MIDI communication established, you need to make the following audio connections:
Connect the main Left and Right analog outputs of the MOXF to available inputs on your audio interface. Required so that audio from the synth can arrive in Sonar. You will select and route that audio within the MOXF Editor VST

Launch the MOXF6/MOXF8 VST in Sonar - it should be listed with all installed VSTi
When the Editor window launches go to FILE > SETUP
Make sure the Yamaha Steinberg USB driver is selected appropriately where indicated for Port 1 for Port 1, and Port 4 for Port 4. This ensures MIDI is able to traverse the Editor, properly.

Go to FILE > VSTi SETUP
You will be able to use just one Stereo Output from the MOXF (the main Left and Right you connected to your audio interface)... Select the Ports you used on your audio interface. It's driver will be responsible for receiving audio and routing it to the computer. So for example, if you connected the MOXF to inputs 1 and 2 on your audio interface, simply select its driver ports, 1 for Left, 2 for Right.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/10/2016 1:27 pm
 Tony
Topic starter

Bad Mister,

Thank you!! I was beating my head against the wall thinking that I could use the plugin stand alone and just trigger it as I do others. The guidance you gave got me going. Just so I am clear, if I had a controller keyboard that had no sounds at all, would I be able to trigger the VST3 or is the physical keyboard a dependency?

Thanks again.

Posted : 13/10/2016 12:37 am
Peter

The Yamaha moXF VSTi will not function in any hosting environment other than Cubase.
Usually you will find Port1 Midi is not exposed to any other host.

You must use the synth as you would any other external synth. (create audio track)

Posted : 31/01/2017 8:44 am
Bad Mister

Peter wrote:

The Yamaha moXF VSTi will not function in any hosting environment other than Cubase.
Usually you will find Port1 Midi is not exposed to any other host.

You must use the synth as you would any other external synth. (create audio track)

The Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST works with any VST3 compatible DAW... there are several. If you are lost and cannot get it to work let us know. VST3 compatibility is required to have it automatically SAVE your setup when save your DAW project, and automatically RESTORE your setup when you next open the Project. Run it Standalone (along side your DAW) but you will manually need to SAVE and RESTORE your MOXF setup.

Posted : 01/02/2017 3:55 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us