Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Wishlist next OS version

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Thanks Yamaha for letting us submit feedback with this site !

1. On MOXF, the USB files have very poor management. Only 8 characters for filenames and even 6 with the long filename truncation system.
Please add an info sub-function giving full name and file size.

2. Presets banks should be overwritable as user banks. Preset banks are very strangely organized and thus very difficult to find the right preset when you look for one, even with the search engine. Giving the user the possibility to edit/store/reorganize the 9x128 preset voices would be a huge step forward. Nobody uses all presets, and that's plenty of unuseful resources for many users.

3. Adding a free librarian

4. PitchBend and Modulation wheel are really far away on the MOXF8

Thanks for your attention.

Posted : 10/09/2014 10:16 am
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth! And thank you for your comments.

We doubt if we can make a larger screen with room for more characters in an OS firmware update. But we understand your pain on the truncated name length - as you go up the product line things expand...the Motif XF's larger screen allows all 20 Characters to show. For MOXF users however, the solution for organizing and storage is found in its advanced integration with your computer. We hope that you take the time to check out the hardware/software integration built-in to your MOXF - it truly is part of the concept of the product.

The "Free" MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor Standalone/VST acts as both an editor and librarian allowing extremely elegant access to every sound you can play with your MOXF, including Presets, User, purchased Libraries, custom libraries, and even those requiring Flash Board Waveforms/Samples. It also lets you see the Category, Sub Category and your own ranking... when this Editor VST is used in conjunction with the free copy of Cubase you have access to thousands of individual Voices and even entire Mixing setups... One click away, and no waiting for the large sampled audio to load either. Click and the data is immediately bulked from your computer to the Edit Buffer of your MOXF where you can play it, edit it, study it and store it (if you wish) or just audition it. This all uses your computer's ability to organize, recall, and access data rapidly - requires only a USB cable (provided with your MOXF). Then when you go to the gig, you disconnect and take the items you need with you.

As to the placement of the wheels... This is a no win scenario: Some will agree and others will disagree with their placement, based on whether they move it gigs - (where the *length* becomes an issue when placed at the left end), of course if you don't use the wheels much, up where they are is fine. So it's a no win situation... But thanks for your comments... This is one of those things that wherever you place them some will like it, others will not... But either way, a firmware update cannot fix this.
🙂

And please check into the editor, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at its power and usefulness:

http://download.yamaha.com

Let us know if you need help setting it up.

I'm currently working on a video article that will help you take advantage of the MediaBay/Sound Browser function inside of Cubase.

Posted : 10/09/2014 8:15 pm
 Dean

Songs and patterns should retain their names in editors!!! In the Yamaha editor and the Melas editors this is not possible. HUGE OVERSITE!!!

Posted : 12/10/2014 6:00 pm
Bad Mister

Songs and patterns should retain their names in editors!!! In the Yamaha editor and the Melas editors this is not possible. HUGE OVERSITE!!!

Not an oversight, actually. The SONG Name and PATTERN Name is a sequencer parameter, not a parameter found among the Mixing parameters. Actually - there is nothing to retain... here's why:

To understand the MOXF6/MOXF8 as a music production synthesizer, it is helpful sometimes to look at the 3 separate main components that make it up. It is a Keyboard Controller (with keys, knobs, sliders, buttons, pedals, etc). It is also a Synthesizer Tone Generator (single timbre in Voice and Performance modes, and multi-timbral in Song and Pattern modes). It is also a Sequencer (with 16 MIDI Tracks).

The SONG Name and PATTERN Name are parameters of the Sequencer. This is technically why they do not appear when you open the MIXING in the Editors (whether it is the Yamaha Editor or the Melas Editor) it is because there is no NAME parameter for the MIXING setup, period. And at this point there does not need to be because the Mixing is always recalled via a permanent (unseen) link between each MIXING setup and the SONG or PATTERN it is created for.

The MIXING contains the parameters dealing exclusively with the Synthesizer Tone Generator (separate from the Sequencer: MIDI events). So only when working externally - like in a computer, would you be recalling the MIXING independent of that SONG or PATTERN... the following is how this is meant to be dealt with...

How to Apply a "name" to the MIXING in your Editor
Launch the "MOXF6/MOXF8 Editor VST" inside of Cubase. You do so by going to DEVICES > VST INSTRUMENTS > External > MOXF6/MOXF8 VST
With the Editor "ONLINE", recall (in your MOXF hardware) the SONG or PATTERN you wish to import the MIXING from...
The MOXF VST will request the current settings from the hardware and the hardware will *bulk dump* the current MOXF MIXING setup (every parameter) into the Editor (still no name, yet)

Click on the "VST SOUND CUBE" - at the top of the Editor in the center (The space next to the Cube will be where the NAME will appear - once you name it).
Select "Save Preset..."

This will import all the MIXING setup and give you an opportunity to NAME the MIXING setup. This will store it in the Cubase MediaBay: Sound Browser by the name you give it.

All your settings including the customized MIXING VOICES you may have created, will be faithfully archived by the name of the MIXING, and you can recall it, search for it, and bulk it to your hardware - anytime you need it, independent of any Cubase Project, independent of any particular Song or Pattern. It is very much like the (32) MIX TEMPLATES found on board the MOXF.

The current series of articles in Bad Mister's Blog is dealing with these types of *WORKFLOW* issues and tips. We start with how to create a DEFAULT MIX and save it to the hardware's internal MIX TEMPLATE. In the Second Part (coming up next week) we will import the entire Default MIX as a VST PRESET into the Sound Browser.... you can set a Default Mix to be recalled every time you open the Editor. Instead of the factory default you can create your own customized starting point.

This is how you can give the MIXING a name and store it for recall. And while only 32 Mix Templates can be stored in the MOXF hardware; an Unlimited number of MIX Templates can be stored, categorized, rated and commented on in your Cubase Sound Browser. It is definitely something you may want to add to your workflow... particularly if you are seeing the need for naming your MIXING independent of the MOXF SONG or PATTERN - if that is what you need - the above is how it is dealt with. Not an issue until you need to store them separately - certainly not overlooked, as this is a natural part of the workflow. When you are goingto or are wishing to store the MIXING setup independently from the SONG or PATTERN it was created with, this is how you accommodate that workflow. The Sound Browser is an elegant feature/function found in the DAW and allows you to search your entire library of multi-timbral setups and individual Voices. Never a need to load a MIXING or VOICE from a USB stick. It is click and bulk - clean, neat, organized.

No oversight, just an architectural fact that the SONG Name is a SONG (sequencer) parameter and does not exist with the MIXING (tone generator) parameters. We are adding a NAME to it before we SAVE it as a "VST Preset" in the Cubase Sound Browser.

After all the band (the instruments) are independent of the SONG or PATTERN (the music) that they are playing. And until we save the MIXING separately (like as a VST PRESET) there simply was no reason to name it, separately.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 12/10/2014 7:44 pm
 Dean

Thanks. That clears up a lot.

Posted : 13/10/2014 12:58 am

Hello,

and first sorry for the bad, bad english - I've use the translate-function from google, but I hope, it's understandable.

My update-request refers to MOTIF XF, but because this had been a subject is treated Updates I've written here and I hope that's not so bad.
Since I use different sound sets in the form of ALL-files for different bands, I have between Forgot twice in a unconcentrated moment, right below the display "FL1> None" / "FL2> None" set prior to loading of such files and have somewhat prematurely clicked on "LOAD" - so, unfortunately, last night!

Would by default after turning on the MOTIF XF this "NONE" - be selective setting, there would be no problem at all at this point.

But just as it is, unfortunately, the whole sample and Waverforms are once again loaded into the flash memory at this moment. Even if you then immediately interrupts the charging process, we at least all Waveforms still has double the memory!

For me it was last night again long and above all really unnecessary manual work in which I use the "DELETE SAME NAME WAVE FORMS" (which is also not just comfortable to handle, because you namely delete each name individually and this process individually must wait) delete as 800 double Waveforms hand had.

The Waveform Editor from John Melas I had not available, because I just do not have to hand my Windows-notebook. But it can also not be the only reasonably convenient solution to having to resort to a third-party product.
In addition, it would after editing in the editor and local extinction of double Waveforms yes also mean a subsequent completely new, lengthy installation process in the flash board that it really can not be!

Why do Yamaha do such a disadvantageous default, or is there still a way to permanently set this parameter to "NONE", and I'm just too stupid to find it ?? !!

This function by default-setting to "NONE" after switching on the instrumen and everything would be fine.
When You forget switching that parameter before loading the ALL-Files to "WITH WAVE FORMS" or "WITH SAMPLES" , the ALL-file you would simply again "WITH SAMPLES" / WITH WAVE FORMS upload "and there would be no overtime.

How is preset in MOXF, I can not say at the moment because the device currently stands in the rehearsal room.

Plase Yamaha, make an Update with new Default-Setting "NONE"

Best regards,

Holger Kranke

Posted : 04/11/2014 1:32 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry, your post is not clear, and is in the wrong forum. The Motif XF Flash Board LOAD OPTIONS are designed so you can set them as you require for each different FILE that you load. A request to have it set "permanently" to one particular setting says to us that you do not understand how this works, quite yet. Which is OK...

It is designed so that the user can accommodate the various Load requirements based on what FILE data you are getting ready to load. You may need to select and redirect just some specific data from that file. If you do not understand the various settings it is most likely because you haven't found yourself in a situation, yet, that requires that particular Load Option. Yet!

What will your request be when, finally, you need one of the other LOAD OPTIONS? Right now you are still a beginner in this area. Not to worry. Please recognize that at some point in the future you might actually need a setting other than "NONE". It's hard to understand why any one would ever need anything other than what you need. Say you are on tour and renting XFs as you travel... You require a different Load Option every time you setup... You want the Load Option set to something other than "None".

When in FILE mode, it is the User's responsibility to make settings that direct the XF to save or load from a particular TYPE of file, a particular type of data, to a particular location. Fixing the parameter that allows the XF to make changes to the Flash Board to "None", that's silly. One of the benefits of Flash is that get to customize what you install. That's the whole idea. 🙂

Tip on how to work with this:
It's easy. Ask your self "By Loading this data from this file (whatever it happens to be), how many changes do I need to make to my Flash Board Wave Library?" If what you are loading has Waveform Names already installed on your instruments Waveform List, then that number is "None". If you just placed your Flash Board in a rental XF, what Load Option do you need now? You need to load the Waveforms but not the samples.

If the data you are loading is going to add new data to your Waveform List then you need to direct it's audio Samples FROM a folder of the File TO an FL location. If the Samples are already on the FL Board but the XF does not have your Waveform List, how do you do set the Load Option for this? "FL1>FL1 without samples"

I find that users who still do not appreciate the difference between Samples and Waveforms are the ones that still get confused by this Load Option settings. Whenever you are Saving or Loading, if you own a FLASH BOARD, you need to review your settings before you execute. It is a very important checklist. Having it default to "None", even if that were the case, you would still need to *review* your settings before proceeding.

Set TYPE of File
Highlight Source File by "Name" in the Directory
Set internal location within your XF
Set the Destination for Waveforms alone and/or Waveform+Samples or select NONE if you've previously installed this data to your Flash system
REVIEW the entire selection... It all appears on the screen when you know to look. Make sure you are doing what you desire.
The word "LOAD" will appear above [SF2] when you met the requirements for the File Type you have selected.

Learn about the default File Name extensions,
.n1.X3A
.n2.X3A
.n3.X3A
This tells you what to expect from the file in terms of your Flash Board data.
Rule: Files always contain the Waveform List.

Whether or not they include also the Sample data, depends on the .nX portion of the extension. (.n1 and .n2 denote sampled data contained within; while .n3 denotes no Sampled data within). And while NONE is, for you, what you normally use in your day-to-day operation, it is a parameter that allows you the flexibility when you need it.

Please see the following Motif XF article to learn more about your: Flash Boards

Posted : 05/11/2014 10:14 am

Hello Bad Mister,

first thank you for your great pains me so extensively to reply. I think, my bad english is responsible for the misunderstanding of my question.
I'm very clear and have been working a long time with my Motif XF, I would describe myself as very experienced user. I run every day and take the right steps when loading my All-Files, but sometimes I forget under stress to change the Parameter to "None"

I also explain why this is so:
I just wish, that the corresponding Parameter for the load-option is set by default to "None" and not to "FL1>FL1" / "FL2>FL2" .
Sorry, permanently was of course the wrong word in my last post, I meant of course basic-setting or default-setting. It must continue to be, of course, adjustable, but in the basic setting it would be much better to be on "None" .

If you forget then, to change this parameter for example from the default "None" to "FL1>FL1" respectively "FL2>FL2" this is not a big problem, but conversely, the forget the switching to "None" it generates a lot of work, because you have to clear the unnecessary, duplicate waveforms.

I hope, you understand now my opinion and my desire for change this parameter to "None" by the default setting, please think about whether my proposal is not better?

Does it make sense to write this post in addition to the MOTIF XF forum?

Best regards,

Holger Kranke

Posted : 05/11/2014 2:46 pm
Bad Mister

Yes this discussion only makes sense to Motif XF owners, as most of this doesn't apply to the MOXF in the same way.

I'd move it but I'm still new to navigating the moderator functions on the site and I'm afraid I very might delete everything in trying... (Make more work, like duplicating Waveforms 🙂

I think your translation is much better this time, as I now understand your request as changing the initial default, not eliminating the other selections. 🙂
In looking at the Load Option, it stays as you last set it. So if last time you had set it "FL1> NONE", then the next time you go to load a File that will be how it is set. I don't really think there is a "default" setting to which it resets automatically (at least that is not my experience). The first time you encounter the Load Option I believe it should read "FL1>FL1", but once you change it, it remains (persists) as you set it.

And I do believe the very first time you encounter it, it is completely logical to have it default so that you are successful installing data from a File to an FL1 board... Especially, and in particularly, that very first time! 🙂

Do you find the Load Option changes back on its own? It should remain set to your last Load Option setting, until you manually change it (not even a Factory Set changes this Load Option setting). Is yours behaving differently?

Let us know.

Posted : 05/11/2014 8:57 pm

Yes, my experience is, that every day, I switched on the MOTIF XF first time with the power-button (not so while I work with it) the parameter for the load option switched back to FL1 > FL1! Please, check it out with your own MOTIF XF, switch the instrument off and on and the adjustment is set to FL1>FL1.
My opinion is: It would be better if then (after power on) "NONE" would be the default setting.

I played at the moment in 3 different music-formations, in each of them I need of course a special soundfile. I have installed at the very first time for each music-project an ALL-file with the special sounds, masters, songs, samples and waveforms for this one band. If I load afterwards an ALL-file for another music-project with one of this 3 bands, I would not like to load the Waveforms and the samples once again.

When I now switched on my MOTIF XF at a new day (or after I switch des power off), and then I forget, to switch the parameter to "NONE" before I load another of my ALL-files again, the annoyance beginning once more.

Best regards,

Holger Kranke

Posted : 06/11/2014 12:31 am
Bad Mister

I see. I understand perfectly now what your issue is and the reason for your request. (I so very rarely shut my unit off). Once you own FLASH BOARDS the act of Saving and Loading any data is the time to take a moment and review your settings before continuing - because as you know, a mistake here is making extra work for yourself. I'm not sure if anything can be done - we'll see.

In the meantime, I highly recommend that you create a personal workflow that involves reading aloud (if necessary) the FILE screen before pushing the [SF2] LOAD button to execute. The checklist is short: Source File - File Type - internal destination - Flash Board involvement (?)

Posted : 06/11/2014 3:51 pm
Johannes

Concerning song and pattern names and dumping them via MIDI to editors, see my reply here.

Best regards, 🙂

Jo

Posted : 24/11/2014 10:50 pm

Hi, just my penny's worth..

At the moment, the direct number entry thing only works if you have the "NUM" button in the bottom right hand corner.
At the moment there seem to be very few fields that support this. It would be great to add it to as many fields as possible (as it's not fun scrolling the wheel 5 or 6 times to get the value you want)
In particular, can you add the direct num entry to tempo fields (ARP and SONG for example)

Similar for text entry - it would be great to have better text entry - rather than scrolling through the alphabet for each letter - not sure how you would do this

Thanks, James

Posted : 19/12/2014 1:07 pm
Bad Mister

Welcome to Yamaha Synth.

Agreed, those would, indeed, be great features to have on the MOXF. It's price point, and not due to anything the engineers are unaware of... Direct Number entry of Tempo, and use of an ASCII (QWERTY) keyboard for Name entry are features found on the MOXF's bigger brother. While the Motif XF and MOXF share WaveROM and many of the same features, the more elegant interface is found in the higher priced model.

Perhaps we can offer you a tip on using the DATA dial, and data entry of tempo, in general.

When you highlight a parameter, such as the Tempo BPM, the DATA dial is velocity sensitive- the faster you spin the farther the value changes. If you increment it it will advance by units; if you find yourself spinning it 5 or 6 times you might want to use a different method to get close and then use the dial to make the small (exact) value changes. A sort of Coarse and Fine Tune situation.
If you press and hold the [INC] or [DEC] button the Tempo values will scroll by tenth's of a Beat (exact fine tune)
If you press and hold the [INC]/[DEC] while also holding [SHIFT] the Tempo change will be be increased in the selected direction, by whole Beats (fine tune)
If you press and hold [SHIFT] and Tap the [ENTER] the third tap will register a whole integer Beat per Minute value. (coarse tune).

When in Voice or Performance mode, press [SHIFT] + [ARP ON/OFF] to take the shortcut to the Arp Switch page that includes the Tempo parameter as a whole integer. In Song and Pattern mode TEMPO appears on the main mode screen to the tenth of beat. In all modes you can TAP tempo via [SHIFT]+[ENTER]. The Arpeggiators all reference the same MOXF clock, as do the LFO and Tempo driven Effects.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 19/12/2014 4:51 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us