Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Drum kit insert effect is not working?

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I was experimenting with my MX49, and I am unable to hear any insert effect on drums. Here is the procedure I followed to add the effect:

Turn on the instrument.
Initialize the current performance, all.
Change part 01 from piano to drums
Use part select to make sure Insert Switch is on for part 01
Use part edit to access drum kit insert effect menu
Choose an effect

No matter which effect I choose I hear no change. When I follow the same procedure with a Normal Voice selected for part 01 I can hear the effect chosen just fine.

The only effect that seems to somewhat work using a drum voice is the Low Fi D.turntable effect.

What am I missing?

Posted : 07/03/2018 10:30 pm
Topic starter

Also, I have tried different drum kits and still no luck.

Posted : 07/03/2018 10:34 pm
Bad Mister

The editing of individual Elements is reserved for SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE message editing only. As you may know the MX is based on the same 8 Element architecture as its bigger (more expensive) siblings, the MOXF and the Motif XF. Many of the same parameters are there but available only by Parameter Change messages.

This is where the John Melas MX suite (Total Librarian, and Editors) come in. With the Editor you can drop in an edit each DRUM KEY within a Drum kit. Routing each Key to an assigned INSERTION EFFECT. (A Key can be routed through the normal system Sends to Reverb and Chorus processors, or it can routed to an assigned INSERT EFFECT).

There are examples of Performances where the DRUM KITS have some of the principal Drums are routed to INSERTION EFFECTS - for example call up "PERFORMANCE SELECT 027(B11): I Wub You"

Press [EDIT]
Select 02:PART > Enter
Select PART 10
Select 05: DrumKit Ins Eff > Enter

This will allow you to hear the main drums in the kit pre-routed through the INSERT bus... This will allow you to hear each of the EFFECT TYPES clearly.

But as I mentioned when you really want to unlock the hidden power of the MX, get the John Melas MX Suite of Tools. The Melas Performance Editor and Drum Editor will allow you to get in and route each KEY to either the System Effects (Rev/Cho) or to the INSERT Effect assigned to the Kit.

Posted : 08/03/2018 2:45 am
Topic starter

Bad Mister wrote:

The editing of individual Elements is reserved for SYSTEM EXCLUSIVE message editing only. As you may know the MX is based on the same 8 Element architecture as its bigger (more expensive) siblings, the MOXF and the Motif XF. Many of the same parameters are there but available only by Parameter Change messages.

This is where the John Melas MX suite (Total Librarian, and Editors) come in. With the Editor you can drop in an edit each DRUM KEY within a Drum kit. Routing each Key to an assigned INSERTION EFFECT. (A Key can be routed through the normal system Sends to Reverb and Chorus processors, or it can routed to an assigned INSERT EFFECT).

There are examples of Performances where the DRUM KITS have some of the principal Drums are routed to INSERTION EFFECTS - for example call up "PERFORMANCE SELECT 027(B11): I Wub You"

Press [EDIT]
Select 02:PART > Enter
Select PART 10
Select 05:DrumKit Ins Eff > Enter

This will allow you to hear the main drums in the kit pre-routed through the INSERT bus... This will allow you to hear each of the EFFECT TYPES clearly.

But as I mentioned when you really want to unlock the hidden power of the MX, get the John Melas MX Suite of Tools. The Melas Performance Editor and Drum Editor will allow you to get in and route each KEY to either the System Effects (Rev/Cho) or to the INSERT Effect assigned to the Kit.

Thanks for answering. It's very helpful to hear from a person when a machine isn't operating as one might assume it would.

Posted : 08/03/2018 9:21 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us