Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

How to turn off the expression pedal for 1 voice

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Like in the demo video in the first few seconds of it. I want to play a layer of 2 voices, but the expression pedal is turned off for one of the voices. I realize I've had previously edit one voice and store it under a U01, or similar location. Then when I use the expression pedal I would be able gradually bring up the volume on the other voice that still has expression pedal turned on (like all the voices probably do).

Posted : 13/07/2017 6:23 pm
Bad Mister

In each PERFORMANCE you can edit each PART separately... you can adjust each PART's Volume, Pan position, Send to Reverb, Send to Chorus, etc. etc.

You can also set what CONTROLLERS that the PART will follow or not follow. This called the RECEIVE SWITCH (RcvSwith). When you turn the RcvSwitch = OFF for a particular controller that PART will ignore all commands from that controller.

From your PERFORMANCE
Press [EDIT]
Select 02: PART
Press [ENTER]

Use the UP/DOWN CURSORS to select 05: RECEIVE SWITCH
Press [ENTER]
Use the UP/DOWN CURSOR to view the various CONTROLLERS
Turn them ON or OFF as you require
"VOL/EXP" is Volume and Expression and refer to the Foot Controller Pedals.

This is Stored when you STORE the PERFORMANCE and is available for each PART.

Posted : 13/07/2017 7:09 pm
Topic starter

OK I will try it.
Thank you very much for your reply.
At first, it seemed logical to me that I should only have to create a User voice with whatever settings I need. Any changes within the 8 hi-level pages and sub-pages would get saved. But now I am finding that some changes, like the Receive Switch are not saved across power down - and up; for a single User voice.
I take it you are telling me my edit will be saved for a Performance.
I've read these manuals over and over - this has not been the best reading. Yamaha is terse about it. Kurzweil is just the opposite, overly verbose. But at least verbose can be broken down into eventual understanding.
I've got to master the MX88, at least for live playing as I'm under paid contracts.
Thx!

Posted : 20/07/2017 12:35 am
Bad Mister

The Receive Switch status IS "saved". What you are mistaken about is *where* it gets stored within the MX architecture.

The Receive Switch is not a User Voice parameter, it is a Performance Part parameter. As you get to know your MX you will learn about this difference between a Voice and a Part. The Voice is the info that constructs the instrument. The Part is a set of additional parameters that allow you to interact with that instrument.

A User Voice, when initially made, plays across the entire range of Keys available to MIDI, C-2 through G8,
WHEN THAT Voice is placed as a Part of a Performance, you can apply an offset that lets you "split" this and access it only C3 and above... that Note Limit is a PART Parameter... not a User VOICE Parameter. The instrument can actually play all notes, but the Part parameters *offsets* the allowable access to just the Note range as set by the Part parameters.

A User Voice responds to all MIDI CONTROLLERS, initially. When you construct a Performance (the act of selecting Voice to put into Parts), you create an Offset setting that determines what controllers are received by each Part, but that information is not stored in the Voice, its stored in the Performance as a Part offset parameter. These Part Parameters are like a window through which you can access a Voice.

The Part parameters allow you to access 16 different Parts including the MIXER-like parameters of Voice volume relative to its neighbors, Pan position... think of the Part parameters as the instrument is plugged into the band's mixer. The Send amount to the Reverb is not a parameter of the instrument (Voice), it's a parameter of the instrument's status in the band's mixer (Part).

Your User Voice can be used in scores of different Performances. In the first Performance you might offset it so it plays Note Shifted an octave higher (that's a Part Parameter) in the second Performance you might offset it so it plays an octave lower, or two steps lower...In each instance that you use the instrument it can be treated completely differently because you treat it or access it through this set of Offset parameters that change your original stored Voice.

And not to be too verbose but,the reason becomes clear: say you create a Voice... you use it in 20 Performances, but need to treat it slightly differently in each one... imagine you turned the Receive Switch for Sustain to Off and it changed it in every one of the 20 Performances. Ouch! To avoid this this system of Offset parameters (Part parameters) is used. You can edit these Part parameters locally without effecting every instance (image the chaos if you changed the Note Shift and it transposed every Performance that used that instrument (voice)!

Posted : 20/07/2017 12:12 pm
Topic starter

Much appreciated. A little pointing in the right direction from you has gone a long long way. I got it, I get it, and the manual is making perfect sense now. This board is amazing. I'm flying on it now. THANK YOU!

Posted : 20/07/2017 4:05 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us