Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Importing Midi From MX to Daw..?

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hello...I have another question about this midi venture with the MX, if I may....When using the MX with USB to your DAW, are the 16 midi channels in a " performance " in the MX imported to your DAW on individual tracks or a stereo midi track..?

Posted : 22/06/2019 4:32 am
Bad Mister

When using the MX with USB to your DAW, are the 16 midi channels in a " performance " in the MX imported to your DAW on individual tracks or a stereo midi track..?

The question does not make sense. Yes, the MX has 16 Parts... this means it can place a synth Voice in each of the 16 Part slots of a Performance. And that means you can Record a 16 piece ensemble piece with 16 MIDI Tracks in the DAW... One Part per MIDI Track, each MIDI Track a different Channel 1-16... and each recorded one at a time.

MIDI tracks are neither Mono, nor are they Stereo. MIDI is not audio and therefore cannot be heard at all. MIDI is a series of coded messages that represent a musical performance (someone playing the instrument) it records you pressing keys, it records you moving the MW and PB Wheel, it records you stepping on and releasing the Sustain Pedal. But it does not record sound. It does not care if you are using a flute sound or a trumpet... that can be easily changed when you playback because MIDI is not Sound, MIDI is not Audio, MIDI is neither Mono nor is it Stereo...
MIDI data is like the paper piano roll used to represent a musical performance on an old style “Player Piano”... the holes represent when a Note was played. But without a Player piano to decode the holes punched in the paper, there is no sound. The paper roll is neither Mono, nor Stereo, because it cannot be heard. It must be decoded — it only represents a musical performance

Midi is NOT Audio.
Audio documents the actual sound output.

There is nothing that gets “imported” from the MX, you must play on the MX while the DAW is in record. This will document when you press a note referencing the Clock (Tempo) Setup in the DAW. If you pressed middle “C” and held it for two measures at Measure 001: Beat 1, Clock 000 and added vibrato via the MW... the computer would assign a Note-On event named note #60, on the very first clock tick... with instructions to hold it for 960 clock tick... Control Change message 001(MW) would be observed changing values to represent the MW movement up and back.

The fact that it was a piano sound is NOT documented
The fact that the MW applied vibrato is NOT documented
No SOUND was documented, only numbers (coded events) are documented. You must play these message back to a MIDI module capable of decoding them.

The fact that the sound is Mono or Stereo is NOT documented when you record MIDI data.

If you want to document exactly what you played, as sound... you must create a Stereo Audio Track. An audio Track can record the sound of you playing the MX. Connect the USB “To Host” port to your computer, using the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver as your DAWs ASIO (Audio Streaming Input/Output) Device. This will allow it to receive an digital audio stream from the MX and to document that as Stereo Audio to a Stereo Audio Track Set to Receive data from the USB port of the MX.

The fact that you played a piano will be documented
The fact that you applied vibrato will be documented
The fact that the instrument sound you played is panned left or right will be documented, etc., etc.

Hope that helps.

Posted : 22/06/2019 9:58 am
Topic starter

Alright then, do you have a tutorial on how to set up the performance mode in the MX..The manual is not helping.....

Posted : 22/06/2019 8:49 pm
Bad Mister

What is it you need to do? Setup a Performance for what purpose exactly?
MX Quick Tips Video Series Part 1
MX Quick Tips Video Series Part 2
MX Quick Tips Video Series Part 3
MX Quick Tips Video Series Part 4

Posted : 22/06/2019 9:06 pm
Topic starter

I'm trying to set up a "performance" of a " band if I must ", of voices on the 16 midi channels ( or you would call parts) to be able to compose a song and store the performance to then later ,show up in my DAW..

Posted : 22/06/2019 9:36 pm
Topic starter

Hello..Thanks for the Quick Tips series..This is what I need to get me where I need to go..Hard to explain without knowing..:D ...Thanks..!

Posted : 22/06/2019 9:42 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us