Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

I've only had my MX88 for 3 weeks and I can't believe that I'm actually going to have to send it in for repairs...

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Anthony
Topic starter

So I setup a new DAW Workstation today, and I've been tinkering with my MX88 off and on for the better part of the day. I haven't turned it off at all, all day, roughly 12 hours that it has been on.. I did install the Yamaha - Steinberg USB Driver - Which apparently doesn't work with "Reason" - That's another issue I've got to tackle.

I haven't touched any internal settings. The only thing I've been doing has been going through and touching each of the 1000+ tones and playing with the "knob" controls to see what kind of tones I could produce. Just generally playing around seeing what the out of box tones have to offer.

Last week I posted a question regarding the "loudness" of the built in rhythms and so after playing all day I decided I would play with the rhythms and try what was suggested in that post. So I turned the main volume down on my MX88 (The built in rhythms have been quite loud). I hit the Play/Pause for the very first rhythm in the bank and started to turn up the main volume. In previous sessions the volume would be pretty loud by the time I the volume was at 1/2 (12 o'clock position on the main volume). But this time, nothing, no sounds at all. I look at the keyboard and the light is blinking. So I turn the volume all the way up and I can't hear anything. So I turn to the mixer (Roland Octa-Capture) and I start turning it up. Higher and higher, to the point of clipping and then I turn it down from clipping and then raise the main volume on the MX88 and all I get is distortion.

I haven't changed any internal setting. I've been playing with just the factory defaults, and it would appear my MX88 has problems that are beyond my control. I'll be calling Yamaha Support and finding out what my options are, Then Guitar Center to see what my options with them are.

Not a happy camper at all right now, and really disappointed that for $999 I have to get support for a product that isn't even a month old. 🙁 I am honestly thinking that maybe I should have gone with the competitors product at this point, despite all my professional keyboard friends recommendations that the Yamaha is the better tone and quality product. I don't get it, why would Yamaha sell a product that requires factory support before it's even a month old..

Unhappy customer... Anthony...

Posted : 16/07/2017 3:11 am
Anthony
Topic starter

All is not lost on my MX88 - I really couldn't believe that my MX88 was a lemon, and I'm so happy to find out it's not. It would appear that Guitar Center sold me a defective cable. I decided that my MX couldn't be the culprit and started troubleshooting each piece in the signal chain, starting with the cables. Low and behold after swapping cables out with known good cables, the cable Guitar Center sold me with the MX88 has a short in it, and when I was connecting my new DAW up to the mixer, moved the cable just right and the short was revealed.

Thanks for letting me get my frustrations out, and thanks for forgiving me for pointing an unwarranted finger at Yamaha..

Anthony...

Posted : 16/07/2017 5:13 am
Bad Mister

Wow, thanks for standing up and correcting this. The MX88 has quickly become one of the best selling synths in the market and we want you to be happy.

Posted : 16/07/2017 8:26 am
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us