Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX Stereo Output?

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Hi there - recently purchased a Yamaha MX61 for stage use. So far I am very impressed with the sound, portability, and overall setup. I do have a question for you pertaining to the stereo outputs. When patching this keyboard to our church sound system, it seems that the L and R channels are not coming through at equal levels. As a result, the L/Mono channel is carrying most of the signal, while the R channel is present, however the signal is much weaker and when I boost the head amp gain on the mixer in an attempt to equalize the gain structure, there is definite distortion and no body to the signal for that channel.

Here is some information on how things are being connected.. I have tried to patch the keyboard in stereo using this cable ( https://hosatech.com/products/analog-audio/interconnect-cables/dual-interconnects/cpp-200/) which is running into two Radial Pro D1's (one for L and R respectively). Both DI's are patched into our stage snake, which runs back to our FOH desk. The assigned channels are identical with the same HA gain, no EQ, and no dynamics applied. It's worth noting that I have also tried different cables and DI's in an effort to troubleshoot, however the results have been the same.

The keyboard is brand new. I have done a factory reset as well per the manual instructions. Any ideas? I haven't found any settings in particular that allow Stereo/Mono to be enabled/disabled - and the manual specifically states that this is managed entirely by the cables that are inserted, so I am out of ideas. We have resorted to running the board in Mono the past two weeks, however our goal is to get Stereo output working as intended.

Any ideas?

Posted : 11/04/2019 2:19 pm
Bad Mister

Sorry you are having an issue with the MX61.
Before we recommend taking it into an authorized service center, we suggest you try to simplify the connection. If you can plug both left and right out directly into a mixer with meters, you can verify without the DI boxes and snake (both wildcards in this setup).

You may want to call Customer Support... they maybe able to help you test the Outputs using the test routine. This is what the service center would do... the Output test sends a test signal to the L and R output at a known value... which can be measured.

I should mention... often we get calls of this nature it’s because the cables are plugged into the wrong jacks. Sitting in front of the keyboard it is very easy to assume the L/R Outputs would be the first two jacks on the back panel. They are not. Please physically check — as strange as that sounds. (If I had a nickel for every time it was plugged into the Phones and L/Mono jack ... I’d have a lot of nickels).

Posted : 12/04/2019 9:29 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us