Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

MX88: "Vinyl EP" patch question

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I need a sanity check... Is the "Vinyl EP" patch simulating a recorded Rhodes being played back on a vinyl record? I'm asking because I just noticed the scratching/distortion that's part of the patch and I'm hoping that's be design and not something wrong with the patch itself.

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:27 am
Jason
Illustrious Member

Yes

Posted : 22/09/2019 5:50 am
Bad Mister

Anyone old enough to have a record collection is getting a smile out of your post. It takes us back to the days where clicks and pops were standard fare when playing records. The more popular the album the more intense the noise!

The effect, called “Digital Turntable”, is extremely programmable... you can adjust how scratchy, the amount of dust on the needle, the speed of the turntable, etc:

Click Density
Click Level
Noise Tone
Noise Mod Speed
Noise Mod Depth
Dry Send to Noise
Noise LPF Cutoff Frequency Noise LPF Q
Noise Level
Dry Level
Dry LPF Cutoff Frequency

And yes, just like with vinyl records the noise is there and more apparent when the music is not playing. It’s what was properly called the “noise floor”. In today’s technology, “noise floor” is a lost concept because it is so low as it can often simply be ignored. Back when vinyl was king, if you got 65-70dB S/N ratio if you were lucky and kept you records clean.

Usually the next question is “why do the ‘Tape Strings’ stop after 8 seconds?”

Thanks for the question.

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:23 pm
Topic starter

Thanks Bad Mister!

I'm MORE than old enough to remember vinyl - in fact, I remember listening to some 78s that my parents owned of early recordings of Les Paul/Mary Ford, etc. I did some recording work as well back in the '80s when I was fulltime and still have some of the vinyls stored away.

However, I'm not sure I see a use case for this particular patch unless I just wanted to record a solo track and show my kids (both adults now) how recordings sounded "back in the day." 😀

Thank you very much for the info on how to program the DT effect. I had NO idea this was even a thing with the MX. I appreciate the fishing lesson!

Posted : 22/09/2019 4:47 pm
Bad Mister

There is call for mimicking all kinds of acoustical situations... that is the role of the Effects. Les Paul/Mary Ford!!! Alright, then you definitely know. Oh yeah, ‘record noise’ is a thing! It gets added to commercially available hits, it’s used in movies, tv commercials, etc.,.. it’s retro. Like back in the 70’s if you wanted to make something sound similarly retro you might break out a mega-Phone to get that 1930s/1940s Rudy Valee sound. Retro (by the way, that effect might be in there as well!) you have effects that make you sound as if you are coming through a telephone... that’s what Effects do, create acoustic situations past, present and ... future.

Posted : 22/09/2019 7:59 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us