Notifications
Clear all

Problem with MX and Logic Pro

7 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Kurt
Topic starter

Hello: I recently purchased the MX88 and am using it with Logic Pro (OS High Sierra). I have installed the driver. I created an aggregate device with the MX88 (USB Audio/Midi) and my Audio Interface. For some reason, when I create a track to record audio or even just monitor audio from the MX88 to Logic Pro, it will play voice 2 and the performance (rhythm) track on the audio track, but it won't play back or record voice 1.

I actually had it working, then not, then working again. Currently it is not. The volume level of voice 1 keeps defaulting to zero (if I raise it it will jump automatically back to zero).

I have had it working with and without the Steinberg Driver. Currently the driver is installed and it is not working (can't hear voice 1).

I hooked up to audio cables through my interface and was having the same problem. I did a factory reset and it briefly worked again.
Then I went back to USB audio and the problem resumed.

I would appreciate some help if you've got some. I've spent way too many hours trying to get this thing set up. The keyboard and sounds are fantastic but I'm a little frustrated with the setup. If I can't get this thing working I'm going to return it.

Thank you!

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:39 am
Bad Mister

Sorry, you are having an issue configuring your setup. The good news is: It's probably not the keyboard, it is more likely your current setup. When you configure it properly it will work properly for you. And since it worked- then didn't - and then worked again, and now doesn't, forgive me ... but this sounds very much like an operation error as much as a problem with anything concerning a gear malfunction.

The volume level returning to zero is doing so because it is receiving a MIDI command to do so. If it was doing it on channel 2 or channel 10, then it would be effecting Part 2 or the Rhythm Part. Track down the source of this message and the cause and you will have corrected the situation.

Since you need to, first, understand how your MX88 works, perhaps we should first consider setting it up alone and do some recording, and playing back so you know it is not an issue with your keyboard. Then... tackle setting up an Aggregate Audio Device with whatever else you are setting up.

Have you connected the MX88 alone and done basic MIDI and audio recording?
Do you think that would be helpful to do so first?

Posted : 02/01/2018 3:22 pm
 Kurt
Topic starter

Thanks for your quick reply. I will try your suggestions and then report back. My only concern is that when I disconnected the USB from the keyboard and went line out from the keyboard into my audio interface, I was having the same problem. A factory reset fixed the problem temporarily, then the problem returned (with usb still disconnected). I will try again this morning (I spent hours over the last few days trying everything I could). Could the midi message be coming from inside the keyboard? My audio interface is the Resident Audio T4 (thunderbolt interface). It has worked flawlessly for several years.

Again, I appreciate your help. I hope you will hang in there with me while I try to resolve this.

Posted : 02/01/2018 4:30 pm
 Kurt
Topic starter

Okay - here's where we are:
I disabled my audio interface (just disconnected the thunderbolt cable).
Deleted the aggregate device.

Problem was still there. Factory reset. Problem still there. Power down keyboard. Remove usb cable. Reinsert usb cable. Power up keyboard problem solved (for now).
Monitoring keyboard with headphones. I can see a signal from voice one on the computer. Fingers crossed...I'm going to try to restore the connection from the audio interface again.

Is it possible I should use the interface only as my midi output?
Also, I set up the keyboard as a DAW controller a few days ago. I was playing around with setting knobs to control parameters with software synths in Logic. Could that have triggered this problem? Currently I am not in DAW mode on the MX.

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:01 pm
 Kurt
Topic starter

Bad Mister:
When I added the connection between my audio interface and the computer, the problem returns. Any suggestions for settings (for example, in Audio/Midi setup on the Mac or audio or midi preferences within Logic Pro)? To summarize: voice 2 and rhythm track work, voice 1 does not. It seems that the Yamaha MX (or its driver) will not play nice with the Resident Audio T4 (or its driver).

Now I understand that you say the problem is in my setup. That is fine. If you can offer me a specific solution in terms of settings to change that would be helpful. I've laid out here pretty specifically what I have attempted to do...

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:33 pm
 Kurt
Topic starter

..and thank you for your help.

Posted : 02/01/2018 5:34 pm
 Kurt
Topic starter

Hi Bad Mister:

Hours of watching tutorials, trying different configurations, retracing my steps has not solved this problem. Voice 1 is still not working with the following setup:
MX88/MacBook Pro 2015 16g Ram/2.9 Dual Core/SSD running High Sierra/Logic Pro X 10.3.3.

I switched over to my older slow Mac mini running El Capitan and LPX 10.3.0, downloaded the same driver and within 5 minutes I had the MX88
working using an aggregate device w/ my audio interface. Both voices are working perfectly.

Are you still sure this is due to operational error? Perhaps the Yamaha/Steinberg driver is not working with High Sierra and LPX 10.3.3. From my perspective this seems like the more likely scenario.

Please advise. I would like not to turn setting up this keyboard into a full-time job so I would appreciate any feedback you can give me. Kurt

Posted : 05/01/2018 3:26 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us