Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Programming

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I just purchased the new MX88 but I am very new to this type of synth. Can someone tell me if it is possible to create a program of saved voices that I can easily move from the first to the last one, in succession?

Posted : 30/04/2017 6:57 pm
Bad Mister

Since you are new to the MX, we have to ask, are you aware of the difference between a Performance and a Voice.

The MX88 has 128 User Voices that are accessed by Category
The MX88 has 128 performsnces that can be accessed in a list 001-128

The 128 Performances from the Factory are display placeholders, you can over write them with creations of your own, in the order you desire.
The 128 User Voice locations are initially blank.

Posted : 01/05/2017 4:17 am
Topic starter

I am not aware of the terminology and have been reading through the manual to try to understand it. Are there any online tutorials to 'learn' the synth basics for the MX? Maybe I should start with something like that. Right now, I am happily just playing live voices and searching through all the different voices. But I want to learn how to program the performances specific to my needs.

Posted : 02/05/2017 12:16 am
Bad Mister

Under "SYNTHS" here on YamahaSynth there are a few articles on the MX that should get you started:

Getting Started with the Yamaha MX49 and MX61 - although written for the MX88's little siblings it applies to the newly released MX88.

MX Study: Synthesizer Basics with the MX - this article delves deeper into the programming possibilities using the third party software by John Melas. The basic MX as is out-of-the-box has some editing capability. As you may know the MX series is based on the extremely powerful Motif series sound set. Yamaha did not reduce the sonic capabilities to get the MX to the very musician friendly price point... in fact, through this third party Editor you can unlock many of the more advanced features found in its bigger relative (the Motif).

Although this is not a free Editor, for those wishing to unlock the power of this synth engine the Melas tools do a great job of letting get into the same kind of in depth programming you are able to do with the Motif. We highly recommend the Melas MX tools for any MX owner looking to get deeper into the sound engine. The article is a good read even if you do not have the Editor; it will give you a good background on what's 'under the hood' of this powerhouse synth.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific question please feel free to post back here.

Posted : 08/05/2017 5:24 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us