Notifications
Clear all

Recording MX Performances live into Cubase

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Eminent Member
Topic starter

I use Cubase AI 9.5 and I'd like to play with the rhythm & layer/split Performances as a compositional tool, recording the MIDI output into parallel tracks. Is this possible? The MX manual doesn't seem to tell me which channels the Rhythm and keyboard parts would be output from; in the Reference Manual, it directs me to "Make sure that the Layer and Split functions are off" when recording the Arpeggiator. Ideally, I'd like to set up Cubase with external MIDI sync so that I can record my playing as soon as I press a key on the MX.

How do I set this up in the MX & Cubase?

Posted : 02/01/2020 11:32 am
Bad Mister

I use Cubase AI 9.5 and I'd like to play with the rhythm & layer/split Performances as a compositional tool, recording the MIDI output into parallel tracks. Is this possible?

No, not with Cubase AI ... in order to record multiple MIDI outputs simultaneously with Cubase AI, you would create one MIDI Track, set the MIDI IN = MX (Port1), set the MIDI OUT = MX (Port 1), set the MIDI OUT Ch = “Any”

The setting “Any” allows each MIDI channel coming In to be echoed back on the channel it arrived on.
A MIDI TRACK records all incoming MIDI data... no matter what channel it arrives on...

So you only need one Track to record incoming MIDI data. If you would like to separate the MIDI data to individual Tracks by MIDI Channel, you can (MIDI > DISSOLVE PART by channel). The reason to separate it to individual tracks is for ease of editing. You can have all the notes of an instrument on its own Track — it simply makes it easier to look at. It does NOT change how it sounds.

The front panel of the MX and the Manual indicate that the Rhythm Pattern is located on “Channel 10”

Posted : 03/01/2020 1:34 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us