Synth Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Split/Layer Programming Problem

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

I am having a problem creating a performance. I want a string sound layered with a brass sound, with the volume of the latter controlled by the pedal controller.

I have set it up, but I cannot get rid of the keyboard split setting, so at the moment, the string sound only sounds on the left hand side of the keyboard. As with creating a new performance, I have to overwrite an existing performance, which had a split seting. However I am finding it impossible to get rid of the split setting - i have even tried setting the split point right at the top ewnd of the keyboard, but the string sound still only plays in the lower half of the keyboard. I have also tried the "initialize" operation, but this has made no difference either.

Can anyone offer some suggestions, please?

Posted : 09/09/2019 5:48 pm
Bad Mister

Create a Layer Performance:
Press [SHIFT] + [SELECT]
This executes a Quick Reset

You will see Part 1 is “AP: 001:CncrtGrd” - the cursor arrow is next to it indicating Part 1 is selected. Part 1 is represented by a solid bar icon stenciled on your front panel. The UP CURSOR button has the solid bar icon ... use it to select Part 1
You will see Part 2 Is “ST: 081:Amb Pizza” - you can move the cursor down to it. Part 2 is represented by an open bar icon stenciled on your front panel. The DOWN CURSOR button has the open bar icon... use it to select Part 2

With Part 1 selected (cursor blinking on the top line) press the right front panel button labeled “Strings”
Use the Data Dial to scroll through the various String sounds.
Select your String sound... for Part 1

Move the cursor down to Part 2, press the right front panel button labeled “Brass”
Use the Data Dial to scroll through the various Brass sounds.
Select your Brass Sound... for Part 2

Press the [LAYER] button.
You have buttons that “Layer” Parts 1 and 2 (See the solid bar icon , Part1, sits atop the open bar icon, Part2, and each extends across the width of the two bars - across all keys.
If you press [SPLIT] the solid bar icon will be on the right (upper keys), and the open bar icon will be on the left (lower keys).

The [ARP] button turns the Arpeggiator On (lit) and Off (light goes out).
The [RHYTHM PATT] button activates a drum groove for Part 10.

You will notice as you play through some of Factory sounds that Parts 1, 2 and 10 are often involved.
Stenciled on the front panel, directly below the screen are icons indicating this. And the solid and open bar icons are just to the left of the main screen (solid is Part 1, Open is Part 2) and by the Up/Down Cursor arrows.

It is that easy to create a Layer or a Split.
See Page 14-16 of the Owner’s Manual.

Press [EDIT]
It will read “01:Common”
Select “02:Part” ... you want to Edit one of the Parts to not receive the Foot Controller.
Press [ENTER] to view the various Part Edit parameters
Select Part 1 with Category buttons [1]
Using the Down Cursor select scroll down to find the RECEIVE SWITCH display
Press [ENTER]
You want to set FC1 = Off for Part 1
(This is found on page 49 of the pdf Reference Manual).

STORE your new Performance.

In the LEARN area of this site there are lots of articles and videos for the MX: MX Articles and Videos

You will also want to subscribe to and download the MUSIC PRODUCTION GUIDES... which contain many articles and tutorial on all Yamaha synths and gear, many specifically on the MX Link to Music Production Guides...

Posted : 09/09/2019 6:32 pm
Topic starter

Sorry for the delay, Bad Mister

Your instructions were excellent, and I have managed to set up a whole load of performances. Many thanks!

Posted : 12/10/2019 5:56 pm
Share:

© 2024 Yamaha Corporation of America and Yamaha Corporation. All rights reserved.    Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Contact Us